Menu

This is an anti-thread...

I have really enjoyed this anti-thread. Some things in homeschooling go well, and some things go -- not-so-well!

Here are my (many) reasons why we don't belong on this forum --

1) My husband and I are engineers. Neither of us enjoyed studying literature in high school, and I have a minor in literature in college solely because I needed a minor and it was the path of least resistance.

2) My kids don't like studying literature either! (Seriously!) My older two read LOTS of books, but third will do almost anything (including chores) to avoid reading. :( (He's gonna be an engineer like daddy!)

3) All upper-level English classes are taught by someone else -- I know my limits!

4) All of my kids do Latin -- under duress. Ds2 is on his THIRD attempt at Latin 1! Well, actually, Ds1 does Greek instead -- he's a Latin dropout!

5) All Latin classes are taught by someone else -- I know my limits!

6) My dd (in college) is rejoicing because she only has to take one English class during her college years -- and she is 7/12 of the way done with it!

7) We are going the AP route for many upper-level classes -- which means many primary source documents, but fewer classics.

8) All high school science classes are taught by someone else -- I know my limits! (We are deeply indebted to those teachers at Scholars Online, PAH, and Regina Coeli -- thank you!)

We are giving our kids a rigorous education -- in many respects -- but it has MANY MANY holes. (Spelling? What's spelling? If you're not a natural speller in our house, you use spell-check!)

But I am in absolute awe of many of you moms who really explore logic, who spout literature, and who bury yourselves and your children in history. You are inspirational!

Thank you ALL who contribute so much to this forum -- including the 99% of you who "don't belong"! :)

And I'm here from what I gain from all of you. Obviously, if I didn't find it worthwhile, I wouldn't be here. Whenever anyone leaves, I think the whole gets diminished. I feel as if we wouldn't be nearly so effective if we didn't have the great variety/diversity of families and learning styles that we have here. I enjoy and learn from reading about curricula, even if I'm never going to use it. I enjoy reading about students doing work even if I think that type of work is not for us. I regularly pass along info I learn here to other homeschoolers within my community who might be able to use that info better than I. I find this type of networking tool invaluable to help me sort through my own ideas about how I want to cover various topics. I hope that none of you ever leave here, even when you do graduate your children, LOL!

Regena

because the only child who is home is unschooling!

But TWTM made everything make sense back in the beginning when I started homeschooling. And I am forever indebted to it for the idea of doing history IN ORDER. I knew something was hugely lacking in the way I studied history in school and doing it this way changed everything for me.

This has been a great thread. I don't often comment here because my "niche" is over on the general board, but I do come here for guidance and ideas and appreciate you all so much!

my ds used Rosetta Stone for Spanish -- I know not a strong program, but we had to cut corners somewhere to fit it all in.

I think I'm the one recommending the "check the box" approach in a few subjects, like Government, because ds's interests are in computers and engineering. I wanted him to have some exposure to Gov't, but time for a programming course, too. We delve deeper in some areas, like Physics, so some other areas have to receive less attention.

Like Gwen, I'm an engineer and don't care for literature, but -- the more of it I've read with my son, the more I find that it's growing on me. I guess I'm getting the classical education I never got as a child/young adult.

I have more time with ds#2, so he is getting Latin, but won't do Greek. I'd like him to have some time for Spanish, too. He's a real people person, and I think he may end up in a field where knowing Spanish will be helpful.

Thanks to everyone who doesn't belong! And to the few who do!

Brenda

1) We aren't nearly as rigorous as many. Lots of the books mentioned here on the boards make ME cringe so I won't make my children read them. The oldest read lots of great literature but she liked it. The rest of them only read the bare minimum. We don't write enough. 11th grade dd is STILL doing Algebra I, plans to go to Cosmetology school and I am thrilled that she KNOWS what she wants to do (and really likes doing it already). We don't do physics, pre-calc or trig (although ds is well on his way so I'd better start looking now for a tutor). We don't do school nearly as many hours/day as some, though we do seem to be getting it done somehow...

2) I don't think college is the only answer. I want my kids to love what they do, and I will NOT have them believe that college is THE only way.

3) We gave up on Latin and do Spanish instead (my kids LOVE it and are really good at it - they have a great tutor).

After reading the other posts, what I realize is that we all really DO belong here. It's a great place for us to discuss things, challenge one another, support one another, etc. I love it here, and consider all of you my friends!

I don't belong here because we are more unschoolers, and academics are not that strong here. We won't be doing anymore latin than learning latin and greek roots, and boy are we short the hours and dedication many others put in! Also, I hate to say it, but I feel very un-educated in comparison to many of you, even tho I did get through college! Thank you for sharing all your knowledge!!

I think we've strayed from WTM in the science department because I'm using a boxed curriculum for that, but it remains to be seen if I can't incorporate more WTM-style grammar stage science with my two younger ones next year along with their boxed curriculum.

Myrtle, have you considered using Michael Faraday's The Chemical History of a Candle as a science spine?

http://home.att.net/~a.caimi/faraday.html

It would fit in well with your curricular choices.

Jane

P.S. Two summers ago, I did an interlibrary loan of this book while I was on Cape Cod. The first American edition, bound in leather, from around 1860 arrived! The Internet version contains the content, but not the charm.

First, I don't do classical. Don't get me wrong. I read and reread TWTM. That book is why I'm homeschooling in the first place.

Second, I don't do boxed curriculums for grades. No Oak Meadow, Calvert, Abeka or other boxed grade level stuff in my house. I'm very eclectic in what I choose and am likely to choose different things for my different children based on their learning styles and strengths/weaknesses.

Third, I can't tell you what grade my dc are in. When people ask I say, "It depends, which subject would you like to know about?" because I want my dc to be challenged in their subjects, which means they're way ahead in some subjects, but on target in others (not behind, thank goodness - my Type A personality would have a hard time with that). With our 40 week school year, it's not uncommon to go through two curriculums in one year (e.g. ds has done 8th grade LL this year and is now working through 9th grade LL).

Fourth, my dc have never done dictation or copy work per TWTM. They do take notes for their classes and I've taught them to outline their notes. I'm not sure I ever understood the importance of dictation/copy work nor did I think I could fit another thing into our subjects. Dc vary between 10-12 classes during the school year so we already work all day.

Fifth, as my dc get older (dd is already doing high school level in all classes, ds will follow next year) I'm finding I have to/want to outsource many of their classes. Science (most), Writing (which was always tearful here until I started outsourcing to Write at Home), Latin, Literature, all AP classes. These will all be outsourced. Oh, and we dropped Spanish.

Lastly, I'm swimming against the tide because I went and had my little homeschool accredited through our state. I really want my dc to be able to participate in dual enrollment (not possible here without an accredited transcript) and a "real" transcript when they graduate to submit to colleges, without having to submit a portfolio or jump through extraneous hoops put in place for homeschoolers (which are many in this state).

There, those are the reasons that I don't belong. I'm sure I could add more with another cup of coffee in me, but I'll leave it here.

Thanks for starting this post.

There is a myriad of reason why I do not belong here yet I read here just about every day for years, sometimes more than once a day. Hmmm that sounds like an addiction :eek: maybe I should join a support group ...... but no wait this is a support group ;)

Ditto

I don't belong here because:

1. We're French speakers. We're not doing English-based classics, and I don't know my French classics! I do my best though.

2. We're not using many of the curricula listed in TWTM, due to language issues.

3. My son is all over the place, a gifted underachiever, with writing issues. (the physical part of writing, the calligraphy itself.)

4. We no longer have time for rigorous subjects, with each kid on a competing team (daughter is training 9 hours per weekfor gymnastics , plus an extra dance class for fun for a total of 10 hours - son is training 3 hours for swim team, 4 hours for synchro, the same extra dance class, plus 1.5 hours of ballet for a total of 9.5 hours weekly)

5. We completely dropped out of history. Haven't done a single hour this year!

6. My eldest isn't high school yet, although for us high school starts in grade 7 and ends in grade 11. Still, he's officially grade 4. (but ready for grade 7 work, if it pleases him)

On the other hand, we do Latin and Greek.

because oldest ds has completed all of his high school courses at home (with me!) No outsourcing or dual enrollment...I have probably messed something up for him; I guess we'll be alerted to any deficiencies when he goes off to college next year!;)

Although I am probably more relaxed eclectic than classical, I have tried to implement TWTM methods (especially during the logic stage) in our school. This is my most favorite forum on the web, though, because you ladies are the best. You got me through four years of high school and I have several more to go with younger ds's. I'm sticking around!!

I don't quite belong either. We use Bauer's materials but I've fallen away from Classical and never was extremely strict in the first place. I do get a lot of great information here and am here much more now that we have the new boards because I love this format and find it much easier to follow threads.

I think having a mix here is nice, the more relaxed can perhaps be inspired by the rigorous and the other way around as well.

I know now that high school is approaching I've been reading TWTM again and am loving the high school section/s. :D

I haven't felt like I "fit in" or belong here because...

... we're not classical hs'ers at all. But this board has been a GREAT source of curriculum ideas, suggestions, and reviews for us. I did read... no, I skimmed through, TWTM, and enjoyed it, but it's not our style.

... my presence here is feast or famine, with way more famine. I am BUSY (my chiropractor says I'm the busiest person he knows -- ugh.), and by the time I have time, the threads are LONG and I can't read all the replies OR there are TONS of threads and I can't read nearly as many as I'd like.

... I don't answer very many posts. Usually by the time I get to the post, someone else has given a much better answer than I ever could (though I do try write if I have something to add). I'm an accountant, not a writer.

ChrisN

(who has hs'ed for 17yrs, and expects to continue for 11 more)

MY long list of why I don't belong

1. we don't learn latin, heck I would be happy if they learn English

2. we don't do memory work or dictation

3. WE are going back to using Saxon, even though it repeats and yes we are coming from MUS to Saxon. What a scandal I am sure!

4.WE are not over achievers, we are not ahead we are very painfully average

5. I don't like to plan, if it is a great curriculum but needs planning I will wait for someone else to plan because it is not for me. (tog is the only exception and I planned the whole year over the summer)

6. I doubt my kids will be scholarship receiving kids, they don't even know what they want to do next week much less when they grow up.

7. I hate science, and so God blessed with a science loving 12yo who now wants to take 2 credit science classes at co-op just for the fun (did I mention he was dropped when he was a baby)

8. we don't get up at 5am to start school, milk the cows(we have only stuffed ones) or to become centered. Heck we just started school and it is 10:30 and boy it took all my energy and coffee I had to do it.

See that is why I don't belong!

Lori in tx who thinks next year she would like to hibernate during winter!

I don't belong here because I don't even own WTM.

My excuse for being here is that I could have sworn this board was intended to complement the information in WTM for those pursuing a classical model of education. While I began my homeschooling journey eons ago with the original reprint of Dorothy Sayers essay, I have wandered far astray. The more I learn about classical education, the less compelling I find the ages/stages model. But my passion is classical education, the pursuit of an Ideal.

All that is to say that, yes, Nan, you pegged me . . . sort of.

Tina in Ouray, CO

Well, I don't get many responses when I post...so I'm sure that some have blocked me.

My writing is horrible. I learn things from the Rod and Staff book 5 that I am sure I've never learned.

We've dropped Spelling and I doubt we'll ever do it again. Shhh, don't tell the homeschool police.

Sometimes I think it would be easier:rolleyes:just to put them back in public school. Okay, so I won't do that, but it WOULD be easier.

I don't belong here because I never formally introduced myself, and because I spend a lot of time thinking that a lot of what I teach my kids is really just a lot of c*ap... time-wasting, lifeforce-sucking stuff that I, like Peggy-Sue, KNOW they will never use.

Wow, did I just say that out loud? :eek:

Why I don't belong here:

1. My oldest just turned 10.

2. I posted lots several years ago, asking questions on various aspects of self-education, for me. Got lots of help. Organized my books and notebooks for myself. Filled them up with paper and labeled them. Started studying and writing about various subjects like 4th grade grammar, lit. analysis (Pilgrim's Progress - am still stuck in the logic stage part of studying that book), Latin, history....I am not nearly as far as I had hoped - I get excited, then lose steam, get excited again, lose steam, then panic when my oldest is ready for whatever I have not studied yet.....that seems to be the only thing that gets me going.....:)

3. Extension of point 2: My bookshelves are stuffed with wonderful books - my kids have read more of them than I have.

I think I'm just waaay too relaxed whenever I read some of the posts here! There are many things that I do follow from TWTM method. But...

1. I believe in delayed grammar and writing

2. I'm using Developmental Math, MUS and TT without supplementation

3. We're Latin drop-outs (though we will try again next year)

4. Not all of my kids do dictation

5. We haven't started doing logic yet for the 3 oldest

6. Some days, we unschool and the kids learn whatever they feel like doing

:eek:

You can see by my post count. My other reasons are like many others':

- Didn't study Latin. Won't. Have no desire to.

- My oldest is in 7th gr.

- We no longer do copywork or dictation.

- While we started with the 4-year rotation for history, that quickly fell by the wayside. But I hope to pick it up again for high school.

- We also tend to be relaxed and start school around 10-ish.

But like many, I come here to find an abundance of knowledge and wisdom to help us in our homeschooling. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to share!

Cinder

I love coming in on the end of a thread. We DO belong here because we fit in with so much of what everyone has already posted.

I think if you pre-judge yourself (your family) you'll never fit in. Everyone's situation is so unique and that's why we're all here, homeschooling in the best way we can for our kids. (please tell me this is true because that is what I hang onto every single day)

I do belong here because I share so many of the same characteristics already stated by you all that say you don't belong here.

So then, this example of a completely classical, overachieving, award winning, Latin speaking, exclusively great books reading, non-textbook using Supermom that we all seem to fall short of is really a figment of our imaginations, a mythical beast we have created in our minds as a stumbling block to acknowledging our own achievements. We need to give ourselves a group pat on the back instead.

Thanks to everyone here for being who you are with all your strengths and weaknesses and for letting them show, the good and the bad, so we can all rejoice and cry and learn together. We are stronger together than we are trying to run this race alone.

I do belong here because I share so many of the same characteristics already stated by you all that say you don't belong here.

So then, this example of a completely classical, overachieving, award winning, Latin speaking, exclusively great books reading, non-textbook using Supermom that we all seem to fall short of is really a figment of our imaginations, a mythical beast we have created in our minds as a stumbling block to acknowledging our own achievements. We need to give ourselves a group pat on the back instead.

Thanks to everyone here for being who you are with all your strengths and weaknesses and for letting them show, the good and the bad, so we can all rejoice and cry and learn together. We are stronger together than we are trying to run this race alone.

HEAR! HEAR! Thank you for sharing that, Lisa - my sentiments exactly! I am sooooo grateful to SWB for creating this forum in the first place, and to all the dear people who have been such a help and inspiration to me. Big ((((hugs)))) to you all! :)