Menu

Reluctant Writer

TKDmom

I'm sure I'm not the first person to post on this subject, but I have discovered that dd hates to write. She used to love to write stories on her own just for fun, but anytime I ask her to write anything for school she groans and tells me it's just to much.

We are using GWG 3 and whenever she has to copy out a sentence correctly (to correct for something like capitalization and puncutuation), she whines and tells me it's too hard, and begs to be allowed to just circle the things that are written wrong and insert the proper punctuation.

We are also using WWE2 and she HATES doing copywork on day 2. Then on day 3 when I dictate the same sentence she complains--sometimes she tells me that it's too easy and it's dumb, other times it's too much writing.

She does not seem to have a problem with doing actual handwriting practice. I don't think that the writing is physically too difficult for her. I'm not sure what the problem is, except maybe she sees these kind of exercises as pointless and boring. What should I do with her?

We are using GWG 3 and whenever she has to copy out a sentence correctly (to correct for something like capitalization and puncutuation), she whines and tells me it's too hard, and begs to be allowed to just circle the things that are written wrong and insert the proper punctuation.

We are also using WWE2 and she HATES doing copywork on day 2. Then on day 3 when I dictate the same sentence she complains--sometimes she tells me that it's too easy and it's dumb, other times it's too much writing.

I don't have a solution for you, but thought I'd mention that T is also using GWG 3 and doesn't like copying out all of the sentences, either. We reached a compromise: if he copies out half of the sentences, then he can write in the corrections on the other half. So far it's been working fine.

I haven't experienced the same issues with the copywork/dictation in WWE2, so don't have any BTDT advice. My thought is that it's just one sentence at a time, and not even every day. It's helping build her writing skills even if she doesn't like it. Do you think she would prefer to do just the dictation without doing the copywork first? Maybe you could try that and see how she does.

HTH a little :)

I'm sure I'm not the first person to post on this subject, but I have discovered that dd hates to write. She used to love to write stories on her own just for fun, but anytime I ask her to write anything for school she groans and tells me it's just to much.

She does not seem to have a problem with doing actual handwriting practice. I don't think that the writing is physically too difficult for her. I'm not sure what the problem is, except maybe she sees these kind of exercises as pointless and boring. What should I do with her?

Wow! I could have written that word for word about my son!

(He just finished GWG and did the exact same thing!)

I'm going to be watching this thread closely!

:lurk5:

Well Bonnie, not to be dumb, but are you having her copy out *a* as in *1* sentence or multiple sentences from GWG? If she has started groaning and hating writing since you started making her copy out tons of sentences from a grammar program, then you might try tossing that. And yes, many bright 7 yo girls outgrow copywork before WTM says they should. If you notice, the author of WTM has all boys except for her final girl. Gender makes a difference, ability, bent, all sorts of things. She could very well be ready to move on to dictation. I'd up the ante on WWE and see what happens. Give her the copywork selection as dictation and see what happens. Or test her out of the 2nd gr portion and move her up into the level 3! She's doing 3rd gr grammar afterall, so she could probably do both. Don't get too in the box. WWE is meant to be a progression you use, not a torture device to hold kids back. And grammar is meant to be fun--after all, it's words and talking-- not a copywork hour.

Maybe I'm just too soft, but I even let my 13ds just add in caps and punctutation instead of copying to whole sentence a lot of times! My 10dd rarely complains about too much writing, but the boys do daily almost. I think it is perfectly normal. I would just give her a break on days when there is a lot of writing, and gradually try to work her up to doing it all. A little more each week.

Thanks for the replies! I think I just need permission to let her not do some of the writing. Sometimes I have a hard time letting her do things differently than the book says to do, even if I agree that it's dumb. :glare:

I like the idea of compromising and just having her rewrite some of the sentences. And I think I will start skipping copywork. She does fine with dictation. (Except when she gets sidetracked and asks too many questions about the story that the sentence is taken from. :001_smile:) I think the biggest benefit of WWE for dd at this point is to help her learn to narrate, so we'll just keep up with that and skip the less useful things.

Edited by bonniebeth4

Guest Alte Veste Academy
She used to love to write stories on her own just for fun, but anytime I ask her to write anything for school she groans and tells me it's just to much.

Let me start off by saying that I'm a huge believer in the benefits of copywork and dictation. I believe they are beneficial for all children. However, it seems to me that if your dd used to write for fun and yet the writing for school is all copywork and dictation (you know, only the essential stuff), maybe she's feeling like all the joy is being sucked out of something she otherwise finds fun and rewarding.

Can you add something purely for creative writing while still keeping up with the copywork and/or dictation you're doing (...or paused...or adjusted as the other posters have mentioned)? I just love Bravewriter. DS6 is just like your dd used to be, writing stories for fun. I hate to think of that ending. For those kids who seem to have a natural talent for creative writing, I think it could extinguish the flame to solely focus on writing instruction the classical way.

Just some thoughts... :001_smile:

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Can you add something purely for creative writing while still keeping up with the copywork and/or dictation you're doing (...or paused...or adjusted as the other posters have mentioned)?

I am going to start using SL language Arts with her this fall. She knows that it has creative writing in it and she's looking forward to it. Thanks for reminding me. I do have a book of creative writing prompts around here somewhere. Maybe I'll dust that off and give her a couple of assignments every week, then do WWE the other 3 days.

Once we start doing SL, I think my dilemma will be how to add in some of the classical writing. I don't want to drop it altogether, but I really don't want to overkill on LA, either. Writing is one of the few things that dd and I are not at all similar in. I HATE creative writing. I used to copy my story books into blank books for fun when I was a kid. :001_smile: I would have loved being assigned copywork as a child, instead of having to make up things on my own. I think I'll start a new thread on using SL LA classically.