Menu

What grade are the Teaching Company's courses for?

When you say "bright" 4th grader, you open up lots of options...if your child is interested in a topic, then these courses could be very appropriate because they would give the depth he may be looking for in his topic.

If it is a topic that he is not very interested in, then it may go over his head because he won't have the background to make it meaningful.

On another email loop I frequent, these courses are used for younger children when it touches on a topic where they already have an interest or passion.

Many of the courses are available from the library, so you might try something just to see. Also, depending on whether your child enjoys the visual presentation (dvd) or the listening aspect (audio only) will make a difference for some courses.

We began some of the courses when my youngest was about 12.

I'm sure it varies by course and by the child. But in general-- are these college courses? High school courses? Does anybody use them for younger kids than that? I'm sure it's way overkill for a bright 4th grader, right? :)

This year we watched High School Level—Early American History: Native Americans through the Forty-Niners and it was great! My youngest is 11 though and middle child is 15... *Ü* So a little older... but we all enjoyed it... the teacher dressed in costume for the era.

The site is pretty good about descriptions of the courses.... that will help aid in the depth of the lectures... by knowing what is covered...

Best reagrds, Lisa

We've used them with young students-- actually even in third grade. I agree that the World History series was probably the biggest hit, but you can find others that match the child's interest level. In our case, my dd loved the Great Books of the Western Literary Tradition, selected essays, after we have previewed or read the book in question (Bronte, Mark Twain, All Quiet on Western Front, etc). So you may not want to watch every lecture in a given series, but pick and choose the ones of interest.

Another big hit was the Art History series, which would be the new Art Across the Ages, and the History of European Art, and History of French Impressionism. These were quite interesting for even younger viewers (remember there may be a scene or two of artistic nudity, but that doesn't bother us).

are very appropriate for middle school. My 9th and 6th grader are watching the world history ones this year and really get a kick out of them. He dresses up in costume and injects a lot of humor into his presentation. In fact, mature students might find him a bit corny and unappealing, but we really like him here :D