Menu

What do people do when they can't find a place to live?

Hi Amy,

I'm sure my assessment is not accurate. I've only spent 7 days of my life in the Pittsburgh area (plus 2 days driving to and fro). We spent those 7 days driving virtually everywhere between Grove City and Washington and Westmoreland Counties, looking at houses and office space. We made two solid arrangements for both, and they fell through. We are still shocked that we spent so much time and money and have nothing to show for it. We had no inkling whatsoever that the people who were planning to rent their houses to us would change their minds about moving out.

We are looking for a house and 2000 s.f. of office space within a 60 mile radius of Pittsburgh. We have to be able to afford both rents. My husband's office must be in PA as it is a requirement for him having work there, and because I will be handling the book business, the house must be near the office. I do not have time for a long commute because I run out of energy more quickly than most people do because I have significant heart problems despite having had double bypass surgery and 2 months later, an angioplasty and 2 stents put in.

We will live in that location for at least 4 years because all of our kids will be in high school next year.

The most important factors to us are the school district and the crime rate. We are coming from a small town which has virtually no crime. I have been the victim of a major violent crime (I was kidnapped at gunpoint by a stranger) and I will never live in an area where any member of my family is at risk. Schools are important because two of my children hate being homeschooled, period. I have researched tons of schools in the area and the link between bad schools and high crime is evident, and no surprise to me.

The other factors we had in mind are no longer important to us. For example, we had looked forward to living in Mt. Lebanon so we would be in a walkable town with great schools and close to the city, but that house fell through.

We cannot buy a house now, and I agree with you that the house prices there are fabulously low compared to the Boston area.

I appreciate your help.

Thank you,

RC

but I do think that your assessment of Pittsburgh is rather off a little bit.

From what I can tell, it sounds like you are looking in the wrong districts. If you tell me where you are looking, perhaps I can help steer you in a better direction.

Again, I'm sorry this is so difficult for you.

Edited by RoughCollie

I keep thinking I am being punished for something by God, but I can't think of anything I've done wrong. I wonder if I'm a bad person and I just don't realize it.

RC

I have been thinking this for a good deal of time now. I could share my story if it would make you feel better about yours.

Other than that, God loves you. Hard to see at times, but being God's child doesn't guarantee that there won't be hard times. It just guarantees that in the end, there is hope and you have someone who loves you the whole way through no matter how bad things get.

My husband was laid on in Nov. We've been living on unemployment since then. Honestly, when it happened I was in shock. We went from making $100k a year to $400 a week. THAT will freak you out, trust me. I thought that I was being punished by God. Trust me, He doesn't do that. Little did I know that He was taking us on a journey to discover our true selves. We've become closer as a family, as a couple and decided that we are in a better place right now. We are making decisions based on how they affect our future, not our bank account. I have started my own company, which I've dreamed about for a year and a half. I can't tell you how we've been BLESSED by being laid off~

I'm not crazy.:D

I just feel 'free of the blinders of life'.

My kids are learning compassion and trust, instead of how many Lego's the neighbors have........

We've lived with family and now in a family member's house, and we've had everything that we need on $1600 a month.

I know that is a lot of money to a lot of people, but it wasn't to us.

Now, we realize how little you need to really be happy.........

:grouphug:

Take a deep breath, exhale and realize how blessed you are to have your health, your husband, your kids and a future.

If you lose your dog, will you live?

Yes, you will.

If you lose your books, will you live?

Yes, you will.

If they are giving you that much stress, just call goodwill and load the truck for them!

Do whatever you have to do to keep your family together.

I'm not being mean, I'm being real~

We could be all living in a refugee camp..............

THEN, we would have something to freak out about.

God will provide for your family~:001_smile:

Well, that changes things~

Are you are online seller?

Do you have a link that we could go to and take some of them off your hands, as well as getting you a little cash to help out the situation?

I don't care if this is against forum rules.

If we can't help each other out, what good is this forum, anyway!?

I'd love to help~

I'm praying that you will feel at peace amid this chaos.

I prayed for that all day, every day for months, and I feel that peace, even now.

Are you are online seller?

Do you have a link that we could go to and take some of them off your hands, as well as getting you a little cash to help out the situation?

Where else would you find a bunch of book junkies like us? Really, I ask you? Where?

Please feel free to PM me a link if you have one.

We are financially ruined, losing our house, moving to Pittsburgh, hopefully soon to be renters.

RC

So sorry that you are going through this. We were there about 7 years ago, and it took us a long time to get back to where we wanted to be. I started reading this thread earlier today, and then I stopped reading and thought about it all afternoon. I haven't read all the posts. To answer your original question: What do people do when they can't find a place to live?

Whatever it takes.

We moved 1500 miles. DH interviewed at 7 companies and chose one. We moved with a 6 week old baby, and lived part time in my best-friend's basement and part time in SIL's basement with 3 kids on mattresses on the floor, while storing ALL our stuff in those two basements. DH quickly discovered that he had made the wrong choice of employment, and scrambled to choose another company 2 hours north of where we first landed. He commuted for a couple of weeks, no place to stay. *He* had a dog, but we couldn't find a place to live because of it, and his sister's dog didn't get along with his dog. He had to give his dog to new home so that we could find *anyplace* to live. It had to be *his* decision to do that. There was just NO housing available with pets, and barely any available at all. We ended up in a 2br/1bath 650 sq ft/no privacy/crappy neighbors apartment for a little over a year with the 3 kids. We still had most of our stuff in storage at SIL/BF, and had just a small pathway to walk around our furniture. We survived. We finally rented a big old house for 5 years, and then bought a big old house 2 years ago. No cell phones, no credit cards, no car payments (all old, used cars here), no cable TV, no... Give it up and think about your basic, basic priorities.

Do whatever it takes to keep your family together. Home is where the heart is, and family is really the only thing you've got when all is said and done. The rest ain't nothin' but a thing.

• 2 weeks later...