Menu

Question about where to start if kids are behind by ps standards?

I am currently trying to decide how best to homeschool my 2 sons. They are just finishing Kindergarten and 3rd grade. My Kindergartner is not reading yet, in fact, he's still working on identifying all the letters and what sound they make. My 3rd-grader is an excellent reader (after also being a bit slow, like his younger brother), but really struggles with "math facts". My questions concerns the expectation of having begun a Classical Education at birth, but jumping in mid-stream without having done so. Where should I begin as far as curriculum and grade-level with my kids? I don't want to jump in too deep, but I don't want to be too repetitive either. Do you have any experiences or suggestions you can share with me?

Have you read TWTM? SWB gives great, clear advice on how to start and plan academic programs for all ages and abilities (excluding special needs).

BTW, I would NOT call a male Ker who is not reading "behind". It's age and gender expected an exceedingly common. I've been in close contact with homeschoolers and public schoolers of this age. The variety of normal is wide in terms of reading (and other formal learning).

If I were you, I'd spend the summer with my Ker and a great phonics program. I'd do math facts drill with my older student.

And I'd take some time choosing from the many great options for LA, math, history and science for next year. Use TWTM as your guide.

Relax. You and your boys can do this.

I would first encourage you to let go of the public school idea of "behind". Yes, they expect a lot at the beginning sometimes, as though it will produce a great end product, but the end product is so often really weak.

Your best approach is the opposite. Get a good end product in mind and move backwards. I'm willing to bet you'll find neither are really that behind. It doesn't take long for the average child (lacking any serious learning disabilities), to have a leap in reading ability somewhere between 7 and 10, but pressure on reading by kindergarten can backfire. I've not yet seen a study that suggests children starting to read at five makes them better readers by 10 than those who start a bit later. In fact, it's often the opposite because the more mature language development helps them put the reading in context to move more swiftly and with purpose.

If your 3rd grader really is behind in math and if you want to catch up with the more ambitious schedules out there by graduation (remember, we are looking at end results, not what it looks like NOW), simply do the drill on the side and stick on an extra month of schooling for math only in the summer over the next five years or so. It still leaves vacation and fun time with a little side of math.

Otherwise, there are so many classical programs out there that focus far more on those older grades when children hit the logic stage and above. Those early years must be more for developing a love of the material, sparking interest, and to some extent, a gradually increasing academic discipline. You may wish to look at both the classical and Charlotte Mason. The early years really need a balance or you'll all burn out before you get out the gate.