Menu

Can y'all stand another question from me?

Aubrey,

If people are not hiring, can you start a tutoring business? It may not bring benefits, but it can pay well. My neighbor is a formerly homeschooled college student who makes $20 - $40 an hour tutoring. She has had so much interest, she could be doing it full time. I have another friend - a homeschooling mom - who works part-time at Sylvan Learning Centers. When her husband was out of work, she was supporting her family on what she made (and we live in a fairly expensive area.)

If your skill area is writing - there are many homeschooling parents who recognize that they are clueless about writing and could use some assistance. An online tutoring arrangement could be made in that community as well.

Just thoughts.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would look into getting an evening job. Most of them will be retail, but at least you would still be able to homeschool and you wouldn't have to worry about putting your kids in school or daycare (or paying that expense out of your pocket). Yes, you will be overqualified, but in my experience, retail managers have a hard time finding mature, reliable people to work the 5-9 or 5-10pm shift. Most applicants for these positions will be students and I think that a manager would be thrilled to have a responsible person in there to hand things over to.

In order to work enough to qualify for benefits you would probably have to work both nights and weekends....but like you said, hopefully it is for a short time and your dh will soon find a job that offers benefits and then you could either quit or cut back on your hours.

Another option would be to look into teaching classes through a community center or a continuing education school, in addition to advertising yourself as a tutor. The tutoring business could definitely pay off for you in the long run, but it will probably take a while to get enough students to make a real business out of it. Maybe you could try to fill limited tutoring hours, say 3-5 a few days a week, while working a night job, and once the tutoring hours start to fill up you could make that your focus.

I'm really sorry you are going through this!!

Aubrey-

Has your husband considered serving in the military? You'll never be wealthy, but it'll be food on the table and benefits. I know that chapel management/chaplain's assistant is a career field in the Air Force, and it probably is in the Army and Navy as well.

Jennifer (a happy AF spouse!)

Aubrey-

Has your husband considered serving in the military? You'll never be wealthy, but it'll be food on the table and benefits. I know that chapel management/chaplain's assistant is a career field in the Air Force, and it probably is in the Army and Navy as well.

Jennifer (a happy AF spouse!)

Chaplain's Assistants in the Army are generally lower enlisted. Aubrey's husband might not be allowed to enlist in the Army because their family is too big and his salary wouldn't support them as a lower enlisted soldier. As an E-1 in basic training his base pay would only be around $1,399/month with a Basic Allowance for Housing of $604/month.

Being a Chaplain's Assistant is not generally considered to be a step toward becoming a chaplain but it's true that if he already has a BA, he's smart, he works hard then he could probably move toward Officer Candidate School rather quickly and then it's a possibility but not necessarily the *best* way to meet that goal.

If someone is already in theological studies and wanted to become a chaplain the best way is by becoming a Chaplain Candidate. There are only a few basic requirements:

Chaplain candidate qualifications

If you do not yet meet all the requirements for appointment as a chaplain, you can work on completing them while you train for military ministry by serving in the Army chaplain candidate program.

To serve as a chaplain candidate, you must fulfill these basic requirements:

1. Receive an ecclesiastical approval for the chaplain candidate program from your denomination or organization.

2. Have a bachelor degree of at least 120 semester hours from an accredited school, or be in your last semester of undergraduate studies.

3. Be enrolled in graduate theological studies at an accredited school, or have been accepted for admission to such a program in the next enrollment period of the school, or have completed such a program and be actively engaged in a process leading toward ordination.

4. Be able to pass a military entrance physical exam.

If anyone is interested in this I'd encourage you to visit this link:

http://armychaplaincy.com/2005/11/04/the-army-chaplain-candidate-program/

If you decide to request information or proceeed in this journey make sure you contact a *Chaplain* Recruiter, they are actually Chaplains and know a lot more about it than general recruiters. General recruiters have been known to give out lots of incorrect information about the best way to go about this.

You can find a chaplain recruiter through this link: http://www.goarmy.com/chaplain/find_a_recruiter.jsp

If you become a Chaplain Candidate you'll start out a Second Lieutenant. The basic pay of a 2LT is $2,655/month, almost twice that of a brand-new private, and the Basic Allowance for Housing is $820/month.

eta: Don't forget our full medical and prescription coverage. Dental is fully covered for the military member, we pay insurance for dental for the family and it's sort of typical. We get 1 yearly eye doctor visit paid for but contacts and glasses are not paid for. We also have other benefits such as the commissary. I know it makes it *much* easier for us to live here in Hawaii or other high-cost areas.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

If I were worried about feeding my children, the fact that I am an adult and I need to move in with my ils would absolutely not be an issue. Both my dh's siblings have moved back in with his parents at one time or another (both were waiting for their houses to finish being built after having moved out of their previous homes). Sil moved in with five children! It was not a financial issue, but just the same, they didn't feel it was beneath them just because they were older than 30. Families are there to help. That's what they're for. I would not hesitate for one second to move in with my ils if my children would go hungry otherwise.

Aubrey, you know I'm on your team, right? All of us care a lot about you. You need to put your pride in your pocket (so does your dh) and you need to be willing to do whatever is BEST FOR THE CHILDREN. Honestly, I see this as moving in with family so you do not have to work. Aubrey, those children need YOU - you are their mother - they really, really need YOU.

It is you dh's responsibility to provide for your family. He needs to figure it out and he never will if you jump in and rescue him.

Also, forget about school right now. Your job, your career is your kids. You don't have the option to be thinking about your own future career goals right now. Your obligation is towards your children - they should be yours and your dh's only consideration right now.

Sorry if I'm being blunt and in your face. If I were there with you I'd be hugging you in between all the blunt comments.:)

:iagree: wholeheartedly

Chaplain's Assistants in the Army are generally lower enlisted. Aubrey's husband might not be allowed to enlist in the Army because their family is too big and his salary wouldn't support them as a lower enlisted soldier. As an E-1 in basic training his base pay would only be around $1,399/month with a Basic Allowance for Housing of $604/month.

Being a Chaplain's Assistant is not generally considered to be a step toward becoming a chaplain but it's true that if he already has a BA, he's smart, he works hard then he could probably move toward Officer Candidate School rather quickly and then it's a possibility but not necessarily the *best* way to meet that goal.

If someone is already in theological studies and wanted to become a chaplain the best way is by becoming a Chaplain Candidate. There are only a few basic requirements:

Chaplain candidate qualifications

If you do not yet meet all the requirements for appointment as a chaplain, you can work on completing them while you train for military ministry by serving in the Army chaplain candidate program.

To serve as a chaplain candidate, you must fulfill these basic requirements:

1. Receive an ecclesiastical approval for the chaplain candidate program from your denomination or organization.

2. Have a bachelor degree of at least 120 semester hours from an accredited school, or be in your last semester of undergraduate studies.

3. Be enrolled in graduate theological studies at an accredited school, or have been accepted for admission to such a program in the next enrollment period of the school, or have completed such a program and be actively engaged in a process leading toward ordination.

4. Be able to pass a military entrance physical exam.

If anyone is interested in this I'd encourage you to visit this link:

http://armychaplaincy.com/2005/11/04/the-army-chaplain-candidate-program/

If you decide to request information or proceeed in this journey make sure you contact a *Chaplain* Recruiter, they are actually Chaplains and know a lot more about it than general recruiters. General recruiters have been known to give out lots of incorrect information about the best way to go about this.

You can find a chaplain recruiter through this link: http://www.goarmy.com/chaplain/find_a_recruiter.jsp

If you become a Chaplain Candidate you'll start out a Second Lieutenant. The basic pay of a 2LT is $2,655/month, almost twice that of a brand-new private, and the Basic Allowance for Housing is $820/month.

eta: Don't forget our full medical and prescription coverage. Dental is fully covered for the military member, we pay insurance for dental for the family and it's sort of typical. We get 1 yearly eye doctor visit paid for but contacts and glasses are not paid for. We also have other benefits such as the commissary. I know it makes it *much* easier for us to live here in Hawaii or other high-cost areas.

I don't know a ton about it, but we have a good friend who has been trying for a few years to go active duty as an Air Force Chaplain. He's an ordained minister and serves as a reserve chaplain several times a year. It has been very hard for him to be assigned a active duty position despite being highly recommended by those he's served with and not being Baptist (I guess there are just many more Baptist chaplains and candidates than any other denomination).

This isn't to discourage Aubrey's dh from looking into chaplaincy or the armed services in general (though I think with his asthma/allergies it's not likely to be a good fit), just my experience watching our friend who is so very qualified not able to do active duty chaplaincy.

I don't know a ton about it, but we have a good friend who has been trying for a few years to go active duty as an Air Force Chaplain. He's an ordained minister and serves as a reserve chaplain several times a year. It has been very hard for him to be assigned a active duty position despite being highly recommended by those he's served with and not being Baptist (I guess there are just many more Baptist chaplains and candidates than any other denomination).

This isn't to discourage Aubrey's dh from looking into chaplaincy or the armed services in general (though I think with his asthma/allergies it's not likely to be a good fit), just my experience watching our friend who is so very qualified not able to do active duty chaplaincy.

The Army is a different animal than the Air Force in this case. We actually know 3 different chaplains who have moved from being in the reserves to being active duty within the last couple of years. A lot of new positions have been created in the Army with the standing up of so many new brigades and such. Has your friend looked into going Army?

The Army is a different animal than the Air Force in this case. We actually know 3 different chaplains who have moved from being in the reserves to being active duty within the last couple of years. A lot of new positions have been created in the Army with the standing up of so many new brigades and such. Has your friend looked into going Army?

He has. At this time the Air Force will not approve the transfer. (Or something like that.)

He has. At this time the Air Force will not approve the transfer. (Or something like that.)

Ahh...maybe the problem is more that the Air Force is short chaplains in the reserve component? Or maybe he is just too senior?

I've seen this sort of thing happen before. We actually knew someone who had this problem (he wasn't a chaplain, he was a different branch) when he was in the Navy. He wound up getting out of the Navy completely then using one of the Army's incentive programs of the last few years to get into the Army. He kept his rank and everything. They can certainly make it complicated.