Menu

Covenant College?

creekland

Hi, I'm new here and have been browsing a bit, but can't get the search feature to keep "Covenant College" together, so thought I'd post a new thread asking if anyone has any personal info about this place (in GA, outside Chattanooga, TN).

My oldest is seriously considering going there next year for their Community Development major... but till a few weeks ago, I didn't know a thing about the place. Now we've visited it (and liked it) and I've tried a couple of google searches to see what came up, but I'm trying to see if anyone has personal info about the place and/or major (good or bad - can send me a pm if preferred).

We're NOT PCA or even Calvinist, but it seems the college is open to that as long as the basic Christian values are there (they are - we lean more Baptist).

Are there any other schools we should be considering - perhaps others we haven't heard about yet? My son wants to major in something that allows him to go to third world countries and try to set up sustainable economics for people groups or places... with a Christian theme. Some schools have called this Economic Development or Global Development. Covenant calls it Community Development.

My brother went to Covenant, and we actually live on Lookout Mountain!

I will say that the community is great, it is an extremely homeschool-friendly, christian community.

Convenant is a good school academically.

What other kinds of things are you looking to find out?

Dd#1 was accepted there, but due to $$ & distance, she turned them down.

I've only heard good things about them. They have a great academic reputation--challenging & make you think type. FYI-Ravi Zacharias's dd went there & I can't imagine him settling for wimpy Christianity or academics.

Thanks to both of you. I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for - or maybe I know but I just can't put it in words... It's a new (to me) college and with the distance (12 hours) and $$ commitment if he goes there, I more or less want to know what others think about it - how they perceive it.

I went to a large public university with a really good academic reputation, so his considering a smaller college that few people (in my area) have ever heard of gives me cause to pause and ask. That said, it seems to fit perfectly with what he wants... another reason to pause and ask.

I like hearing it's got a great academic reputation. This son is in the upper levels academically (per national tests), so I'd like for him to be challenged to his ability.

I think maybe I was equating smaller college with less of an academic rigor...

I know I WAS worried about the potential for excessive rules (for us), but having visited the place, I'm no longer concerned about that.

Any thoughts people have are more than welcome - either private or public.

We visited there last fall --we're impressed with what we saw. The real clincher for my husband, however, came when we attended a nearby church on Sunday morning. He started visited with a man serving as a greeter and asked some questions about Covenant. The man immediately responded by enthusiastically stating that Covenant had "changed his life." He elaborated by talking about the community, the relationships between professors and students, and the commitment not only to high academics but also to strong character and faith. Dd is finishing her junior year so we're hoping to look again in the fall -- the 1100 mile commute from Texas is a real discouragement, however

Yvonne

Thanks for your thoughts! They really mirror how we felt about the place. I'll fully admit to going there not expecting much, but being really impressed by what we saw - esp with how much the profs really cared about their students. My son fell in love with the place. He's also finishing his Jr. year, so they'd be in the same class if they went there together...

We weren't there over a weekend, so didn't attend church, but everything else matches - including a bit of a distance to send our son there from PA. However, I'm leaning more and more to making it possible for him to go there based on what we felt/saw and what we're hearing since then. Mentally I'm (personally) switching from feeling a public university with a good name to its academics is the absolute best (esp since that was MY heritage - both hubby and mine), so occasionally I still have my doubts, but I'm warming up. Fortunately, they both cost about the same, so cost isn't a factor in our thoughts.

If you don't mind my asking... my son's best friend is thinking of Le Tourneau. Do you have any thoughts about that place? It's a LOT longer for us from here (literally go to Covenant and then another 11 hours!), so I'm not sure it's on the table, but it never hurts to ask... Not being from Texas nor familiar with many Christian schools, it's another I'd never heard of and there's only so much one can learn from their web site...

I really don't know much about Le Tourneau. It's in East Texas (which is 350+ miles from where we are.) It's definitely not in the common pool when people here in Texas talk about academically challenging school. I'm not sure I know anyone who has a student there.

Sorry I can't help more!

Yvonne