Menu

Anyone having a hard time deciding IF they want to HS next year?

I may be the only one here but I am. I havent even decided on next yrs curric. I usually already have it like most of you. I cant decide if I need some time for me. I know that may sound selfish but I have been thru a lot lately and really am stressed ALL the time. Just wondering if anyone else has these feelings? Odds are I will be hsing next year but this is just where my head is :confused:

I think as the years go by you become more confident. You realize that there is so much more to homeschooling than JUST the academics. :001_smile:

Just be patient and kind with yourself. There are honestly years like what you are describing. I can easily look back and say that 'this grade or that grade' was a hard year. There are years that I 'tried' different programs and regretted it. :001_huh: But, you just keep pushing forward and learning and realize that 'trying, regretting,and learning' are part of the process. ;)

Don't feel bad about being burnt out. I think it happens to most of us. It does to me. :D

Good luck!

:grouphug:

Yes. I go through this at LEAST once a year. My kids have never been to school. My 8yo has severe learning disabilities and now it looks as if my 6yo does too. My 11yo is difficult to teach and struggles with language arts. My 5yo is being added in this year and she is the EASY one, but she demands a lot of "schoolwork" as she loves to learn.

Sometimes I want to send them to school and let someone else deal with it, but I know better. My 11yo would not do well - he doesn't like kids his own age and HATES schoolwork in general. I don't know that the schools would/could do more for the other two than I am.

I may be the only one here but I am. I havent even decided on next yrs curric. I usually already have it like most of you. I cant decide if I need some time for me. I know that may sound selfish but I have been thru a lot lately and really am stressed ALL the time. Just wondering if anyone else has these feelings? Odds are I will be hsing next year but this is just where my head is :confused:

When people ask me if I ever think of putting ds in school, I always say that I think of putting him in boarding school every day. I get a good laugh out of it. And, it's half true.

Seriously, I'm 48 and in raging peri-menopause. I work 30hrs/wk (from home) and homeschool a 13yo boy who is in raging puberty. I've always heard middle school is the worst time to put them in school. Ds plays on the school basketball team, and I can completely understand why. They are animals. At least here. So, I'm committed to finishing middle school.

Right now, ds is adamantly opposed to high school. Public high schools here have a 50% graduation rate. Private high schools are expensive, but we could do it if we needed to. Community college can begin in 10th grade and is free. I think if we had a decent public high school option, ds would go whether he liked it or not.

We used to school year round. But, when middle school hit, we both needed a summer break (we always take all of December off). So, we've taken 4 weeks during the summer, and done 1/2 school the rest of the summer. It has helped.

Finally, I have realized that I need to take more time for me, and I am taking it. That means I nap every afternoon. I skip church more and more and that doesn't go over well with my minister husband. But, I need to take care of myself. If I don't, I am getting the message from within that I will make myself sick.

There are 8 siblings in my family. My nieces and nephews attend public schools, private schools, and a few homeschool. If you put them all together, you would not be able to tell who did what. All have gone or are planning to go to college. All are good kids. The family who is the closest is the family with the big Italian family influence. They went to public school - a decent one.

Is it possible to put your children in camps this summer? That would give you a break. It may be worth the $$$.

Take care of yourself. If you don't, who will? :grouphug:

Ya I guess I just feel really burnt out by the kids. I have tried to put them in ps this past year and it lasted 3 months. I missed them. But this hs thing is like a love/hate relationship. I see the benefits down the road but I am really hating things right now. I dont feel I really TEACH them. To be honest I dont really WANT to teach them. I dont want the influences from ps or private schools either. They are very much self learners. Although I do help my 6yo with most of his stuff except math.

I do have a problem taking time for myself. I never do. Ever. When I am away from the kids I just sit there and think about them because I guess thats what Im always doing anyway.

I brain is leaning toward Abeka or BJU DVD's. Something that will keep them occupied and have more instruction than a book in front of them.

Anyway...those are my thoughts...crazy as they are! :willy_nilly:

I'm with Sue and Shari on the summer thing. We've done school year-round all these years, and this summer is the first time that I'm really thunking myself and asking WHY. Ok, she goes out of her gourd without things to do and some intellectual feeding. But I think Sue's right that there's some kind of change that occurs. This year has been the first year that I've been unexcited about doing much in the summer and have actually asked dh if we're doing the right thing homeschooling. Like SWB says, you ask because you CARE. If you weren't so invested you wouldn't ask.

It's May, when you're wanting to dump things and enjoy the improving weather. Are you close enough to finishing to wrap things up and call it good? If you take a break for a month, will the stressful things pass? If they're for a season, you could just break. If the stress is perpetual and going to continue for the next year, you better break shorter, recoup, and find a way to live with it. Your oldest is 9. Have you tried a daily checklist for his work? Have you made as much of his work independent as possible? Do you need to take a home ec break and teach some of your young'uns to do chores, so they can take over responsibilities for you?

Take a blanket and go outside today for some read alouds. Just dump everything and get out. It will help. :)

Absolutely the BJU dvd's would be good! Abeka isn't quite as interactive or student oriented, and given how young your kids are I'd definitely say BJU. I have numerous friends who use the dvd's and LOVE them.

When I read your post, before I saw your update about considering a curriculum change, I was thinking a tm (or more tm's) might be just the thing for you. Sometimes we make things so hard, creating things ourselves, using an ecclectic mixture, guilt-tripping ourselves about not being exciting, etc., when what we really need is to open a tm, read the lesson, and get it over with. BJU is solid, good, and engaging. They have thorough samples on their website, both of the videos and the texts. If you're drawn to it, do it! Might be just the thing you need for this year to get on track!

but several years ago I decided that my detailed planning days were over because of too much pressure with work and my husband's chronic health issues, and frankly it's gone just fine. The fall will be even less work for me. My oldest will be in a one-day-a-week school next year, and my younger one is going to a more textbook-based curriculum plus novel studies. We're going to do Beautiful Feet's Geography series together and start the SOTW series again as a read-aloud. Both will still have classical elements in their curriculum, but the pressure is off me in some ways. I just have to do this to stay whole and healthy.

I had a lot of doubts this year, and many many many times thought I would send them back to ps next year. But I know this is best for them, so I sent in my registration for hsing next year, threw an end of year party for the kids, and today is day one of the new year. I need to change attitudes this year starting with MINE. I am changing how we are doing things (ordering sonlight instead of following wtm next year) in order to take the pressure off me for planning, to have more time reading with the kids, etc. I can't order until mid-August, so for now I have changed some of our workbooks, and we will continue where we left off in everything else.

I am still questioning my sanity for deciding to hs again next year, but I think that if I focus on what we are accomplishing rather than some pipe dream of what we could be accomplishing I will not be so stressed. I want my kids to learn everything it seems and want them to learn it faster, better etc than they are capable of. It is the perfectionist in me, and I know that is leading to massive amounts of unwarranted stress.

I see from your signature your 3 are all still very young; that's a very time-intensive part of homeschooling -- you are needed for everything that everyone does for school. Just recognizing that this IS a hard phase of homeschooling can help. :) Also, when I was doing ALL the housework, cooking, cleaning, laundry, shopping AND homeschooling I was exhausted. It helps to share the load by getting the whole family to participate in the care of the house. And see if DH can participate in the schooling in some way.

If you decide to continue, here are some ideas to (hopefully) ease things for you:

- we did a 4-day school week, using Fridays as "fun day" for field trips, nature walks, educational games, science kits, big project for art history science etc., make a food or play a game from a different culture, etc.

- if you need to school year-round, perhaps try 3-4 weeks on, 1 week off for regular breaks and avoid burn-out

- once a week DH does something school-wise with the kids -- takes them on a nature walk or field trip; does some of the read alouds in the evening; one night a week does the science experiments or other school topic; etc.

- after lunch, institute a 30-60 minute quiet time for EVERYONE (you may have to work up on the time); if everyone is past the nap stage, they still stay on their bed doing a quiet activity: read, listen to books on tape or music, pencil and activity book, etc. -- this gives you daily time to rest, read or do a rewarding personal hobby/activity

- each child got 30 minutes a day either with educational software or educational videos to give ME a break

- get everyone helping with chores (so you are not the sole laborer) and make it part of the schedule; even small children can carry their dishes to the dishwasher, help prepare lunch, fold laundry, etc.; and on Saturdays, everyone in the house has a list of once-a-week chores to accomplish to help with the house as a whole (dusting, vacuuming, picking up own bedroom, cleaning bathrooms, mowing weeding or other light yardwork, etc.)

Encouragement and hugs to you littlemomof3, whatever you decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

My DS would be chewed up and spit out in a school setting. However, there have been plenty of challenging days when I just want to march him down to the school and let him be their problem. Of course, it wouldn't work out that way, and I know it.

DD, who would do fine in school, is such a joy to teach and have home, so I don't want to let her go. :)

I'm taking a real break this summer. For the whole month of June, I will not allow myself to do anything for school. No shopping. No planning. Nothing. I'm going to scrapbook, do home projects, and have fun with my kids. I think it will revitalize me and I'll be ready to go for the fall after that.

I dont feel I really TEACH them. To be honest I dont really WANT to teach them. I dont want the influences from ps or private schools either. They are very much self learners. Although I do help my 6yo with most of his stuff except math.

This makes me wonder if what is going on with you is boredom. I know I run into it quite a bit.

I do have a problem taking time for myself. I never do. Ever. When I am away from the kids I just sit there and think about them because I guess thats what Im always doing anyway.

Make yourself. Join a gym. Join a choir. Join a community orchestra. Just one night a week, make your ds watch the kids and go somewhere else. Just do it.

I brain is leaning toward Abeka or BJU DVD's.

The BJU DVDs were a lifesaver for me, and I highly recommend them. BJU has a lot of motel meetings this time of year, so there's almost certainly one in your area. It's worth the trip to see and hold all of the books, and for your dc to view extensive samples of the DVD classes. (There are online samples of each class at each grade level, too, but you can see even more at the meetings.)

I've attended the motel meetings for the past three years, and they aren't like a "real meeting;" they are usually set up as a bunch of tables around the walls of the room, filled with books according to grade level. There are one or two BJU reps available to answer your questions, but I have never found any of them to be at all pushy about trying to sell you anything.

Abeka has motel meetings, too, so if you want to compare the two curriculum choices, you could visit both and see which you prefer. We like the BJU DVDs better than the Abeka, because the BJU video teacher addresses the camera directly, whereas the Abeka DVDs are set up like a real classroom and your child is "sitting in the back of the room," if that makes any sense. Educationally, I think both programs are excellent, but I think there's more of a "fun factor" with BJU, and I prefer the format.

The DVDs might really help alleviate some of your stress, as you will know that your kids are being taught everything they need -- and you don't have to do all of the lesson planning and teaching. The BJU DVD program is ready to use right out of the box; you get everything you need. Teacher's manuals are included in the set, but I can honestly say I have rarely ever used any of mine. The video teachers are very thorough.

Cat

I see from your signature your 3 are all still very young; that's a very time-intensive part of homeschooling -- you are needed for everything that everyone does for school. Just recognizing that this IS a hard phase of homeschooling can help. :) Also, when I was doing ALL the housework, cooking, cleaning, laundry, shopping AND homeschooling I was exhausted. It helps to share the load by getting the whole family to participate in the care of the house. And see if DH can participate in the schooling in some way.

If you decide to continue, here are some ideas to (hopefully) ease things for you:

- we did a 4-day school week, using Fridays as "fun day" for field trips, nature walks, educational games, science kits, big project for art history science etc., make a food or play a game from a different culture, etc.

- if you need to school year-round, perhaps try 3-4 weeks on, 1 week off for regular breaks and avoid burn-out

- once a week DH does something school-wise with the kids -- takes them on a nature walk or field trip; does some of the read alouds in the evening; one night a week does the science experiments or other school topic; etc.

- after lunch, institute a 30-60 minute quiet time for EVERYONE (you may have to work up on the time); if everyone is past the nap stage, they still stay on their bed doing a quiet activity: read, listen to books on tape or music, pencil and activity book, etc. -- this gives you daily time to rest, read or do a rewarding personal hobby/activity

- each child got 30 minutes a day either with educational software or educational videos to give ME a break

- get everyone helping with chores (so you are not the sole laborer) and make it part of the schedule; even small children can carry their dishes to the dishwasher, help prepare lunch, fold laundry, etc.; and on Saturdays, everyone in the house has a list of once-a-week chores to accomplish to help with the house as a whole (dusting, vacuuming, picking up own bedroom, cleaning bathrooms, mowing weeding or other light yardwork, etc.)

Encouragement and hugs to you littlemomof3, whatever you decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thanks for these words of encouragement, Lori! We're transitioning from the kids being helpless to being able to start implementing some of this stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Absolutely the BJU dvd's would be good! Abeka isn't quite as interactive or student oriented, and given how young your kids are I'd definitely say BJU. I have numerous friends who use the dvd's and LOVE them.

When I read your post, before I saw your update about considering a curriculum change, I was thinking a tm (or more tm's) might be just the thing for you. Sometimes we make things so hard, creating things ourselves, using an ecclectic mixture, guilt-tripping ourselves about not being exciting, etc., when what we really need is to open a tm, read the lesson, and get it over with. BJU is solid, good, and engaging. They have thorough samples on their website, both of the videos and the texts. If you're drawn to it, do it! Might be just the thing you need for this year to get on track!

:iagree: If you can afford it, I say go for it! It takes so much pressure off you, and the classes really are fun and engaging. Perhaps a year of BJU DVDs is just what you need to get refreshed for the following year. Or, perhaps you'll love BJU so much that you'll continue on for years to come. ;)

I hear the burn-out part and would encourage you to take a summer break. Read books for you, go to the pool, have a BREAK!

Just heard Dr. Jay Wile last week-end- he is terrific. Research shows that homeschool kids mimic p.s. kids academically till 6th grade. After that homeschool kids take off academically, p.s. kids don't. I'd spend some time really looking at what your vision for your kids/family is. Define that first, then fit in how you'll educate around that.

Blessings to you! As Sue said, take CARE of yourself!!

:lol:

Same here and, to make it more complicated, my uncle offered to pay for the kids to go to the private, Christian school here. :glare: It would be so much easier if it weren't an option.

But as we've been thinking about it, we went through the scenario and came up with exactly what WendyK said. I would miss them all day, then they would come home and have homework, try to cram in extracurriculars, there is also the getting up part, and I would be on the school board as well as there is no way I couldn't be involved. So, really, I would just be trading one kind of crazy busy for a different kind AND I wouldn't get to be with my kids (I know there are those days, however....)

I truly think the time of year has a lot to do with it. We're all tired. It's burdensome having to teach all day, often subjects we are not experts in (or even understand, quite frankly), AND deal non-stop with character/sibling issues. It's just.plain.overwhelming. There are no reserves left for anything else.

I guess all that to say, you're in good company :grouphug: and I have two recommendations. The first, if you aren't already familiar with it, is Latin-Centered Curriculum by Andrew Campbell. It helps greatly with doing more with less. I cried the first time I got my hands on it because I was so relieved. It was huge for me in figuring out what's important.

I'm also reading Homeschool Burnout by Raymond Moore. I'm only a few chapters in so I don't have a full review right at the moment. But there have been several things that have hit home already and I am anxious to get through it.

So, it may come down to which hard do you want? That's where we finally landed out. :grouphug:

Yes. Absolutely. Burned. Out.

I've really struggled with the decision to continue homeschooling for our next year. I'm just plain tired and stressed out all the time, as you mentioned. Recent standardized test results have made me question what we are doing even more. There's really no joy in h.sing for me, and hasn't been this whole school year.

We are usually year-rounders, but I am seriously considering taking more time off this summer. When this board is in high gear and everyone is discussing what program is best, and all the books and book-buying, it is hard to resist getting caught up in planning. At least, it is for me. :tongue_smilie: But I know that as soon as the books arrive, I will feel pressure to START. And I am just not ready to face another school year -- yet.

So no real advice here, just commiseration. You aren't alone.

OK...from a Mom that has been there and back and there and back....

TAKE A BREAK!!!

If you can't stand the idea of not doing any school...pull out those fun things you wanted to get to...AND DO THEM ONLY...

Listen to classical music and draw

Just read aloud all those books in the stack on your coffee table...on the floor...under the coffee table...couch...etc.

Drop math...or just do flashcards for a while.

Work on routines

De-junk your school closet. Sell whatever is sitting there calling you a failure. If it doesn't sell, donate it to a new homeschooler (bwahahaha) or send it to Book Samaritan. JUST GET IT OUT OF YOUR HOUSE...If you someday need to re-buy, there will be a newer more beautifuller edition then and you can come here and tell everyone how you bought and sold TOG 3 times.

Make a tray of brownies with your kids and EAT THEM ALL...with milk

Go have a massage

DON"T LOOK AT HOMESCHOOL CATALOGUES...

DON"T EVEN PEAK AT HOMESCHOOL CATALOGUES...or...read homeschool magazines or books...

Try to remember and write down all the reasons you homeschool. If you have changed those reasons add them on and then cross off those that don't apply anymore.

Don't talk about giving up homeschooling with your family (they may encourage you too much and you will make a rash decision while you are burnt out...never a good time for serious decisions)

Don't talk about sending those babies off to school with other homeschoolers...we are already low on self esteem and may think we need to send our kids off too....OR WORSE...we may feel like the only homeschooler left in the village.

Don't threaten your kids with shipping them off on the next passing schoolbus...

PRAY a lot!!

Enjoy your kids and play with them even if you forgot how.

Remind yourself to smile...even though you don't feel like it.

Take a walk alone.

Remember...this is a very common feeling in October, February and May.

No one ever promised us odd homeschool people this would be easy, but we are a resilient bunch and I am so happy we have these boards to come to...and help eachother.

Blessings,

Faithe

Just heard Dr. Jay Wile last week-end- he is terrific. Research shows that homeschool kids mimic p.s. kids academically till 6th grade. After that homeschool kids take off academically, p.s. kids don't. /QUOTE]

Just curious. I think I've heard this before. Why is it that homeschoolers would take off academically after 6th grade?

Lisa

Just want to add: I tried ps until Christmas when I pulled my kids. I'm still on the list to get into the Montessori and will find out by the end of May.

Even if we get in, I'm not going to do it. I know I haven't been hsing as long as you have, but I have to tell you: ps is EXHAUSTING!! I'm sometimes wonder if it's just "the grass is always greener on the other side."

When we were in ps, I wanted to hs. Now that we're hsing, I'd like to try the Montessori.

But having my six year olds in school from 8:30 to 3:00 every day?? Please. I just think it's too young at six. Or sixteen, for that matter.

What helps me when I get down is to read a really good homeschool book. I'm reading one right now. Let me know if you want the title.

Alicia

Research shows that homeschool kids mimic p.s. kids academically till 6th grade. After that homeschool kids take off academically, p.s. kids don't.
Just curious. I think I've heard this before. Why is it that homeschoolers would take off academically after 6th grade?

I have never heard this and would be curious about it as well. I have not had that experience here. Hormones kicked in this year (7th grade) and "take off academically" is not what happened. "Brain fell out" is more like it. :tongue_smilie:

Don't feel alone. I've been homeschooling 7 years now. I am tired and overwhelmed by everything these days. I told my DH that if it wasn't near the end of the school year, I'd be seriously thinking about enrolling the kids in public school for the rest of the school year. However, my DH and I are quite adamant that we don't want to ever put our children back into public school and we can't afford private school. So homeschool is our only option. I am truly angry that our public school system is so yuck.

To make it worse, DH wants the children to school through the summer. We had a few winter months not doing much school and he wants the kids further along in their schoolwork. I'm looking forward to next week. We're taking a school break and will resume the week after.

I have never heard this and would be curious about it as well. I have not had that experience here. Hormones kicked in this year (7th grade) and "take off academically" is not what happened. "Brain fell out" is more like it. :tongue_smilie:

Hahahhaha (insert dry laughter here). The kid age 13 can't even remember his beloved soccer!!!!

However, I did see my oldest take off. I think it was related to not being under so muc external pressure, but actually having the time to digest and delve into interests.

Want to homeschool? Did I ever really want to homeschool? I think I would much rather send the kids to school all day so I could shop, keep a spotless house, have lunch with dh, have coffee with friends, go to the gym, decorate my house, take a painting class, get my nails done....but alas, that is not to be. As a parent, we have to make sacrafices, and whether they are in school or homeschooling, it is work! I can tell you that if I did not feel such a deep conviction that this is what God has called me personally to do with my kids, I couldn't do it. Homeschooling is hard! And it is not just the schooling part that is hard. It's keeping up with being a wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, etc while trying to homeschool. It's having to deal with seeing your kids at their worst on a regular basis that is hard. It's the nagging doubts that you aren't doing it right, the condesending relatives and church members telling you they'd be better off in school, seeing your neices and nephews excel while you struggle, etc.

So why put up with it? Because we love our kids and want what's best for them. We want them to have every chance to succeed in this world. We've watched them with a careful eye since birth and we know they need to be home with us as long as possible. We read the statistics and shudder. We read the news reports about drugs and s*x in the schools and say "No, not my child."

Feb. and April have always been the hardest times of the year for me. I homeschooled for 5 years before quit calling the Christian schools in town every Feb. I think maybe you need to ask yourself why you are homeschooling. If it is just for academics, maybe school would be ok for them, and you could supplement after school. For us, it is about so much more. The kids get to spend so much time with their dad, and as my oldest heads into the teen years, I'm realizing that is priceless. Even the Christian schools here are filled with immoral behavior (from the students and teachers). My SIL has two kids in private school, and she might as well have a full time job. She is there almost everyday volunteering, and she doesn't even get a break on tuition.

I don't know if you are a Christian, but if you are, spend some serious time in prayer and ask the Lord to let you know if this is what He wants for your family.

And then tell your dh to watch the kids while you go to lunch with your friends and get a pedicure.;)

WOW! Thank you all for the encouraging words. I really thought that most of you would think I was off my rocker! You all (especially) on this board seem to have it all together. With your classical this and eclectic that lol

This past Jan we had a house fire. It left us displaced only after 5 months after moving into this house. It took 3 months and some change to get it back to livable conditions and we just moved back in about 2-3 weeks ago. We did take a lot of time off because we lived in 3 different places in the mean time and I just didnt have it in me to sit down and teach. I think since we have been trying to move back in I have taught only 1 day and that was last friday.

I did take some advice and went out with the kids. We dont do it often (for fun things). We went to a roller-skate rink. I used to be an avid rollerblader and really missed that. I am thinking of taking speed skating lessons with my oldest.

After reading all your posts I thought about it for a while. I feel better now. Especially after going out yesterday. I feel better about not pushing the hsing till Im ready to jump back in it. We will start back this summer. BJU or CLE. Two completely different currics LOL

I really appreciate all of your advice and "hugs". You guys are a great group.

Thanks again!

This past Jan we had a house fire. It left us displaced only after 5 months after moving into this house. It took 3 months and some change to get it back to livable conditions and we just moved back in about 2-3 weeks ago. We did take a lot of time off because we lived in 3 different places in the mean time and I just didnt have it in me to sit down and teach. I think since we have been trying to move back in I have taught only 1 day and that was last friday.

That would stress anyone out - HSing or not.:grouphug:

Want to homeschool? Did I ever really want to homeschool? I think I would much rather send the kids to school all day so I could shop, keep a spotless house, have lunch with dh, have coffee with friends, go to the gym, decorate my house, take a painting class, get my nails done....but alas, that is not to be. As a parent, we have to make sacrafices, and whether they are in school or homeschooling, it is work! I can tell you that if I did not feel such a deep conviction that this is what God has called me personally to do with my kids, I couldn't do it. Homeschooling is hard! And it is not just the schooling part that is hard. It's keeping up with being a wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, etc while trying to homeschool. It's having to deal with seeing your kids at their worst on a regular basis that is hard. It's the nagging doubts that you aren't doing it right, the condesending relatives and church members telling you they'd be better off in school, seeing your neices and nephews excel while you struggle, etc.

So why put up with it? Because we love our kids and want what's best for them. We want them to have every chance to succeed in this world. We've watched them with a careful eye since birth and we know they need to be home with us as long as possible. We read the statistics and shudder. We read the news reports about drugs and s*x in the schools and say "No, not my child."

Feb. and April have always been the hardest times of the year for me. I homeschooled for 5 years before quit calling the Christian schools in town every Feb. I think maybe you need to ask yourself why you are homeschooling. If it is just for academics, maybe school would be ok for them, and you could supplement after school. For us, it is about so much more. The kids get to spend so much time with their dad, and as my oldest heads into the teen years, I'm realizing that is priceless. Even the Christian schools here are filled with immoral behavior (from the students and teachers). My SIL has two kids in private school, and she might as well have a full time job. She is there almost everyday volunteering, and she doesn't even get a break on tuition.

I don't know if you are a Christian, but if you are, spend some serious time in prayer and ask the Lord to let you know if this is what He wants for your family.

And then tell your dh to watch the kids while you go to lunch with your friends and get a pedicure.;)

Wow - I so needed to read your post! February is also my rough month, but this is the first time I've actually set up a meeting with one of the parochial schools, took the tour, and started filling out the paperwork for dd#2. When I realized that she was right in the fact that I couldn't make her go (I'm not strong enough to pick her up & carry her to the car :tongue_smilie:) I decided to hang on for the last couple months of the school year.

My big struggle right now is that I would have no problems homeschooling if it weren't for 1 of my students. I've tried everything short of counseling for the 2 of us (and she won't do that -- and I can't pick her up and carry her to the car). Everyone tells me (and I've even said it) that putting her in school and keeping the other 2 at home will ruin her already low self-image and make things worse. What are your thoughts? I see that there are a lot of families, on these boards, who have some kids in ps (grade school) and homeschool some. In my community I know of only one family who does this in the early grades! It's unheard of. There are plenty of families who send their kids to ps for high school and only homeschool the younger ones, though.

Sheri :)

:grouphug: Yes, you do have good reason to be stressing! You know, it's the situations in life, like this, when homeschooling can be a true blessing. If your kids were in ps, more than likely they would still have to keep up with the work, be distracted in the classroom because they just a major event happen, etc. But, with homeschooling - you took the necessary time to do what you needed to do and be together. You can pick up with schoolwork when good and ready, go at your own pace, and even if things are not completely wrapped up at the end of the year, your kids are still more than likely 'ahead' of their peers.

My big struggle right now is that I would have no problems homeschooling if it weren't for 1 of my students. I've tried everything short of counseling for the 2 of us (and she won't do that -- and I can't pick her up and carry her to the car). Everyone tells me (and I've even said it) that putting her in school and keeping the other 2 at home will ruin her already low self-image and make things worse. What are your thoughts?

What exactly is she doing that is making it hard to homeschool? Is she rebellious? Is she slow &/or sloppy with her work? I know as they get closer to the teen years, attitude becomes a problem. Hormones? My 10 dd really needs time one on one with me. She is a whole different child if we are able to do something together every once in a while, even if it is just watching HGTV and eating popcorn while the baby naps. My dd also has a hard time getting her work done. She can't seem to stay on task for more than 5 minutes at a time. But sending her to school would not help-it is a character flaw that we have to work through. Hopefully, she will mature out of it. Maybe you could sign her up for some outside classes that would really spark her interest in something, like art or drama. My dd really wants to take a cake decorating class.

Our only outside school experiences have been preschool. It was hard even at that age to live in both worlds. My oldest was homeschooling and we were very involved in the hs group, but the preschool my dd went to asked for a lot of parent involvement. It was very time consuming, and I felt pulled in two different directions all the time.

hth

:iagree:

it needs to be said. sometimes . or we will think we are going crazy . or we will go crazy . or we will go.

Three done and four to go! Yipee. If I last this week!!!!!:001_smile:

OK...from a Mom that has been there and back and there and back....

TAKE A BREAK!!!

If you can't stand the idea of not doing any school...pull out those fun things you wanted to get to...AND DO THEM ONLY...

Listen to classical music and draw

Just read aloud all those books in the stack on your coffee table...on the floor...under the coffee table...couch...etc.

Drop math...or just do flashcards for a while.

Work on routines

De-junk your school closet. Sell whatever is sitting there calling you a failure. If it doesn't sell, donate it to a new homeschooler (bwahahaha) or send it to Book Samaritan. JUST GET IT OUT OF YOUR HOUSE...If you someday need to re-buy, there will be a newer more beautifuller edition then and you can come here and tell everyone how you bought and sold TOG 3 times.

Make a tray of brownies with your kids and EAT THEM ALL...with milk

Go have a massage

DON"T LOOK AT HOMESCHOOL CATALOGUES...

DON"T EVEN PEAK AT HOMESCHOOL CATALOGUES...or...read homeschool magazines or books...

Try to remember and write down all the reasons you homeschool. If you have changed those reasons add them on and then cross off those that don't apply anymore.

Don't talk about giving up homeschooling with your family (they may encourage you too much and you will make a rash decision while you are burnt out...never a good time for serious decisions)

Don't talk about sending those babies off to school with other homeschoolers...we are already low on self esteem and may think we need to send our kids off too....OR WORSE...we may feel like the only homeschooler left in the village.

Don't threaten your kids with shipping them off on the next passing schoolbus...

PRAY a lot!!

Enjoy your kids and play with them even if you forgot how.

Remind yourself to smile...even though you don't feel like it.

Take a walk alone.

Remember...this is a very common feeling in October, February and May.

No one ever promised us odd homeschool people this would be easy, but we are a resilient bunch and I am so happy we have these boards to come to...and help eachother.

Blessings,

Faithe

Where are the rep points for this one? This is wonderful advice. I'm going to save it. Thanks!

You all (especially) on this board seem to have it all together. With your classical this and eclectic that lol

It's all smoke and mirrors. ;)

I'm sure many of the people here are super-organized, perfect planners, and amazing teachers with "cover of the Sonlight catalog" picture-perfect little students, but there are also a lot of us (ok, me!) who have great days and really lousy days, and sometimes feel like we've got it all together, but mostly wonder if we're making huge mistakes, and keep looking for just one more perfect curriculum that will solve all of our problems, and hoping we can get our kids to someday stop telling us how much they hate school. ;)

Cat

..... I really thought that most of you would think I was off my rocker! You all (especially) on this board seem to have it all together. With your classical this and eclectic that lol

:rofl:

:drool:

:smilielol5:

WHO US???????:lol:

I soooo wish it.LOL.

Faithe

We are going to begin our 3rd year homeschooling and we are still going strong. I think it gets easier/more fun every year.

We had such an awful public school experience that there is no chance of us going back.

We take advantage of so many homeschooling activities (maybe too many at times) that there is no way my son would ever want to go back to school. And I have seen such enormous positive and wonderful changes in him.

What exactly is she doing that is making it hard to homeschool? Is she rebellious? Is she slow &/or sloppy with her work? I know as they get closer to the teen years, attitude becomes a problem. Hormones? My 10 dd really needs time one on one with me. She is a whole different child if we are able to do something together every once in a while, even if it is just watching HGTV and eating popcorn while the baby naps. My dd also has a hard time getting her work done. She can't seem to stay on task for more than 5 minutes at a time. But sending her to school would not help-it is a character flaw that we have to work through. Hopefully, she will mature out of it. Maybe you could sign her up for some outside classes that would really spark her interest in something, like art or drama. My dd really wants to take a cake decorating class.

Our only outside school experiences have been preschool. It was hard even at that age to live in both worlds. My oldest was homeschooling and we were very involved in the hs group, but the preschool my dd went to asked for a lot of parent involvement. It was very time consuming, and I felt pulled in two different directions all the time.

hth

Rebellious is an understatement. I've been waiting 10 years for her to get out of the terrible two's!! :001_unsure: If she doesn't want to do something, she doesn't and she doesn't care what consequence she gets (until it comes right down to it anyways). If I take away time with a friend, she'll say she doesn't care, then loses it when the friend asks to play and I stick to my word and say no.

She does work at a little bit of a slower pace in some subjects, but she's a math whiz, so she's not slow with that. She's never been much of a reader, but she recently found a series she enjoys so she's been devouring them!:hurray: It has been so cool seeing her excited about it.

She's a perfectionist like her Mom, stubborn like her Mom and Dad, serious like both her Grandfathers, quick-tempered like her Mom, she takes everything personally and her feelings are easily hurt like her Mom. She's also had a will of steel from the day she was born and had to fight to breathe not just once, but on 2 separate occasions during those first many hours. I refer to her as my 'mini-me', only on a much grander scale. One of her strongest traits is that she's so good with kids and is an awesome babysitter....but I wouldn't want any of those impressionable kids to see her during our school days!! :scared:

We do fine one-on-one for the most part, but not school. Dh pretty much taught her to read and he's the math teacher (for all 3 dd). A typical situation with the 2 of us ... English, for example, goes like this: she asks for help, so I read the directions for what she's doing, then look at the one she's having trouble with and walk/talk her through it to help her arrive at the answer. By that time all h^ll has broken loose and it's down hill from there. She leaves the room saying I don't ever help her and that I'm no teacher. :(

This is too long already and I feel bad writing this because I don't want to sound like I'm bad-mouthing my dear sweet daughter. She will mature & we will both learn to bridle our tongues a little more. I've learned a lot about that in the last couple years and have come a long way, but she knows me way to well......

Thanks for "listening."