Menu

Sample Schedules

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can give me a sample schedule of what they accomplish in a day. I mean like how many subjects, how long it takes, how long for free/fun reading, extracurricular activities and so forth. There doesn't seem to be enough time or attention span in the day to cover everything we need to cover successfully. I barely covered writing this year. I am going to remedy that with IEW. That and reading needs to be our main focus. Please help with any suggestions that works well. Thanks so much....

There was a post like this not too long ago. Did you see that one? Hmmm, I can't remember what it was called, but it may be worth looking at. Maybe someone can put the link in here.

I need to get off soon, but just a couple of things----

I try to place the subjects that require a a lot of thinking near the beginning, when their mind is fresh. Math is usually one of the first ones we do. After a "heavier" class, we do a lighter, easier thing to help rest the brain, and alleviate frustration.

For my oldest we did science while the younger two had nap time. That way experiments could be done and completed without interruptions.

Even as the kids got older we always had a rest time after lunch. I encouraged them to read during that time if they didn't feel like napping then. We ended up calling it QRT (Quiet Reading Time). During that time they stayed in their own room, or in a certain spot, and didn't talk or make noise. That gave me mom time. I could take a breather and be more ready to finish out the day afterwards! NO SCHOOLWORK is to be done by mom during that time! It's a Quiet/Rejuvenation time, and needs to be relaxing!

Well, I'm sure more will have some great ideas! Gotta run........

Here's a sample day for my current 2nd grader (8yo) ...

Saxon Math - 40-60 minutes (first 'cause I hate math, gotta get it out of the way!)

AAS Spelling - 20 minutes (sometimes less)

History (did Sonlight with older sis) - usually about 40-60 minutes

English - 10-15 minutes sporadically

Five in a Row - 30-45 minutes

We also did Geography sporadically, when we could fit it in and that was anywhere from 15-30 minutes.

She does free reading whenever. I try to have her read out loud to me at least once a week.

We start between 8:30-9:30 and younger dd is done by noon. She has the afternoon for free play, crafts, reading, etc.

I don't schedule by the hour. This is my work-up of my ds10's schedule for this coming fall. He will be doing what is in my sig line and he is in 5th grade. The ? will be filled in closer to time for school to start back (it will depend on what he finishes this summer). He works at whatever pace he wants and we eat lunch between 12 and 1. If he needs more time, he gets back to work after lunch.

ScheduleBigger.jpg

This schedule may be tweaked in regards to History and Science. This is how Bigger Hearts lays it out (5 days each) - but we are not used to doing it spread out like that, so we will just have to see which we like better and go from there.

Here's what we're doing. Times are an average; sometimes we're a little more, sometimes a little less.

DD9:

Saxon math-30 min

FLL-15 min

History or Science-one hour

Reading (usually a selection related to history)-20 min

SWO-15 min

Writing Tales-varies from 10-45 min

Latin-20 min

DS6:

WWE-15 min

Saxon math-30 min

Spelling-10 min

FLL-10 min

Reading-20 min

He does history/science w/DD

We also try to do one "elective", like art, music, character education which takes anywhere from 15 min to one hour.

My friend just started using that program and they love it. I might have to check it out for next year. I already have everything I want already for the upcoming year. YOur schdule looks similar to what I have. Sometimes I wonder if it is too much. We seldom finish everything and that bothers me. You will have to let me know how it goes. Thank you for responding. Oh, can you tell me what the difference is with quick reply and post reply? I am a little confused on how to use this site effectively. thanks again, erin

Our schedule starting in June (we are on break right now):

2nd grade:

9:00 "other" (geography, health or science)

9:15 English

9:30 math

9:45 lapbook (sometimes tied into science or geography)

10:00 Spell to Write and Read

10:15 math review worksheets

4th grade:

9:15 reading for enjoyment

10:00 Spell to Write and Read

10:15 Story of the World

10:30 Lively Latin

10:45 Classical Writing Aesops B (1 week is spread over 2 weeks)

11:00 independent research project

11:30 experiments or projects

These are fairly flexible and more of a guideline as to what order we do things in. They have the afternoons free and spend that time in a variety of ways including:

artwork

nature studies (playing outside and observing nature)

play

watching educational TV

We do gymnastics on Wed. but in the summer we swim on Mon and Thurs. Tuesdays are for the library and on Fridays we have co-op and playgroup.

It is a well-balanced life for us.:001_smile:

DD9:

Saxon math-30 min

Ok, how do you do Saxon in 30 minutes??!! I would like to be at that point next year with dd. Do you not do the meeting at all and just go right into the lesson? You've got me really curious:D

There was a post like this not too long ago. Did you see that one? Hmmm, I can't remember what it was called, but it may be worth looking at. Maybe someone can put the link in here.

I asked a similar question (6th/7th grade schedules) a couple of days ago, this might be the thread Brindee was referring to:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100852

There are also a ton of threads in the "Scheduling Tag"

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/tags.php?tag=scheduling

HTH

Edited by Peggy in Va
additional info

I'm not the original poster...but, we usually finish in 30 minutes...give or take...depending on the lesson. Maybe it's because I don't "read" through the whole scripted lesson word for word. I just look at concept for the day and I teach the lesson.

We do the Meeting Book...but, that is done independently...and, maybe takes 5-8 minutes to complete. I then look over the meeting book and go over the counting with them...another 3-5 minutes. Then, I teach the lesson...taking anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes. Finally, my child does the worksheet (only the front OR back...not both) and the math facts sheet...getting help from me if needed. That usually takes 15 minutes or less...depending on how detailed they get on any drawings they make for the word problems! Smiles!

Does that help?

~Holly

Yes, that helps. Maybe I've figured out the problem. Dd is VERY hands on and she likes to discuss things. She takes a while to get through the lesson because she wants to make up problems for me, discuss what else she could have done, do any extra problems in the lesson, etc. Add that to the fact that I do read the scripted lesson ... and that could be the problem. I wonder if I could "sum up" a little better in teaching the lesson and keep her better on track? I don't want to dampen the enthusiasm though. I am not math minded and always read the lesson as is so that I don't mess something up. Though I did teach the carrying and borrowing the old way, not the Saxon way. :D We already only do one side of the page in Saxon.

Thanks for the input!

My dc are 11, 12 and 13. The younger two are currently finishing up 5th and the older is finishing 8th. The 12yo has learning challenges and a late fall birthday which is why she is "behind" grade level for her age. The younger two are on a somewhat different schedule than my oldest.

Anyhoo...I have tweaked and fiddled until we came up with the plan that works for us, which means mileage may vary. :)

Note: English, for us, is: grammar, literature, spelling, vocabulary and writing. Both younger children are required to free read 1 hour per day. Oldest daughter is a bookworm so requiring her to read would be equivilent to making her breath. LOL

Younger:

Math - 45 min

English - 90 min

Bible - 30 min

Homeroom - 45 min (this is what we call History and read alouds)

They do this 4 days per week. On the 5th day, which is usually Wednesday, we do math games, poetry reading, science and art.

Older:

Math & Science & Typing - Mon & Thur

English & History & Spanish - Tue & Fri

She works as a grandma's helper on Wednesdays and is able to do school reading during nap time.

Changing to a block schedule has been great for her because she is able to really dig in and focus on each subject and use the "off" day for any extra studying for one of those subjects.

Our whole goal each day is to be finished by 12:30, so that we can have lunch and participate in afternoon activities such as music lessons, drama, etc.

One note. With the younger two I found it works best to set a weekly goal and a daily time limit on each subject. So, for example, math is 4 lessons a week, 45 minutes per day. This allows us to move on to another subject and leave whatever isn't done for the next day or homework, their choice, At the end of the week, whatever is not done becomes homework that must be completed by Saturday night.

HTH

:)

Well, I certainly wouldn't "cut out" any kind of enthusiasm on your DD's part! If math takes 45 minutes...then, that's what it takes! It sounds like your DD is "doing eduation!" The word *education* means to 'bring out'. From what you have described...she is not just "getting it"...she is using what she is learning. Good for her!!

Please let me clarify that it sometimes does take us longer...if we are having fun and doing as your DD does. That's one of the perks of home schooling!!

Smiles!

~Holly

I guess the enthusiasm would be easier to handle if I had ANY at all for math:tongue_smilie: I would prefer to get it done and over with. *sigh* I try not to bring that dread of math to the table:001_smile:

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread!

I don't think looking at my schedule will really help you a lot, because it's so tailored to my kids and lifestyle.

However, I can tell you my mindset that helps me when I'm feeling like I can't get anything done:

What I do is make sure that my 4 R's are covered every single day. Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic and Writing. As long as my 4 R's are consistently done--and done well--then I'm on track and the pressure is off. However, with that said, I do my best to get all the other subjects in there as well. (History, science, latin, geography, and whatever else it is we do all day! :tongue_smilie:)

But if I only get the 4 Rs done for a few days in a row, I still feel like I'm succeeding at homeschool.

I purchased "Managers of Their Homes" by Terri Maxwell years ago and can write up a new schedule in my sleep :) The biggest help from that book is getting real with yourself. The first time I listed everything we were trying to get done INCLUDING housework etc, I think it added up to 28 hours total WITHOUT SLEEP. If you don't want to buy the book, the nutshell is:

1. List EVERYTHING you do and how long it takes you to do it. EVERYTHING, not just school. If you're stumped, take a week and write down what you do as you do it and how long it took you. If there are phone calls/ computer time interrupting you, add up those times. You'll be surprised at how much little interruptions take up school time.

2. Once you have it written out, you'll be better able to toss out what's not working, what you're not getting to, or find out where you're wasting time.

3. Then, if you chose, you can write up a schedule in 1/2 hour increments or just in "order" and try it out for a couple of weeks. Every year I have to get real and tweak my expectations AFTER we start school. I think Math will take me 1/2 hour, but it takes me an hour. I can't change that so I have to change my schedule.

Hope that Helps!

Blessings!

Dorinda

I purchased "Managers of Their Homes" by Terri Maxwell years ago and can write up a new schedule in my sleep :) The biggest help from that book is getting real with yourself. The first time I listed everything we were trying to get done INCLUDING housework etc, I think it added up to 28 hours total WITHOUT SLEEP. If you don't want to buy the book, the nutshell is:

1. List EVERYTHING you do and how long it takes you to do it. EVERYTHING, not just school. If you're stumped, take a week and write down what you do as you do it and how long it took you. If there are phone calls/ computer time interrupting you, add up those times. You'll be surprised at how much little interruptions take up school time.

2. Once you have it written out, you'll be better able to toss out what's not working, what you're not getting to, or find out where you're wasting time.

3. Then, if you chose, you can write up a schedule in 1/2 hour increments or just in "order" and try it out for a couple of weeks. Every year I have to get real and tweak my expectations AFTER we start school. I think Math will take me 1/2 hour, but it takes me an hour. I can't change that so I have to change my schedule.

Hope that Helps!

Blessings!

Dorinda

Agreeing with this... and even if you don't follow Teri's exact method of how she schedules their day, the principles work no matter what kind of time blocks you end up working with. She does smaller, 15 or 30 minute increments throughout the day; I prefer larger blocks of time. It's also very enlightening to write *everything* you do in a day's time -- from showering & getting dressed to lunch prep and cleanup to computer time to folding laundry -- to see just where your time IS going.

As far as curriculum and scheduling specific to academics, we primarily use MFW and for the most part, it works best here to just follow the lesson plan grid in the TM. That will change some next year when my 8th grader is working mostly independently, but we'll still have our "together" time block, too.

Ok, how do you do Saxon in 30 minutes??!! I would like to be at that point next year with dd. Do you not do the meeting at all and just go right into the lesson? You've got me really curious:D

Well, I modify the meeting part; she knows a lot of that down pat, so now I just do the word problem of the day and the counting by 8s or 9s, that kind of thing. The lesson normally takes about 15 minutes to teach and then another 10 for her to do the sheet. I only have her do one side of the sheet; unless she gets a few wrong, which is rare. She does do one page of drills which I didn't count in the half hour because she does them by herself on her own time.

We have a flexible schedule which means...we try to stick to it but can't help but change it if some fabulous opportunity arises.

I have a 3rd and k.

3rd grader- Daily

Journal- 15 min

Handwriting- 15 min

Grammar- 5-15 min

Math- up to an hour (usually 45), she double checks her work on each problem

Wordly Wise- up to 15 minutes (usually 5)

Independent reading- free (1 plus hours...)

Independent reading- history or science related ( at least an hour)

2-3 times a week

Science- up to 1.5 hours each sitting

History- up to 1.5 hours each sitting

Usually my daughter starts with math (most challenging) and moves on to journal, WW, some I reading. Then we meet, check her answers and do corrections.

My kindergarten girl does Explode the Code and handwriting daily and math (Singapore) several times a week. She reads independently 1 plus hours a day- anything from picture books, to chapter books to history and science based literature or nonfiction) At this age, there is no formalized science or history instruction. I do carefully select her free time reading which may include books on plants, seasons, transportation, community. My main goal for K was to have an independent strong reader by the end of the year.

Most days we are done by noon but others not until 2 or still might be reading history at bedtime. It all depends if we head out to the beach or go for a bike ride or a hike.

The lesson I learned years ago from someone on these boards was to set your yearly goals, break those into quarters and maybe into monthly. Use those to check in with every once in awhile, especially when you feel like you aren't getting enough done. Chances are you are covering what most public schools do and are settling high expectations for yourself and your student.

I'm breaking away this summer and next year with a full day a week devoted to outdoor education. I'm so excited about this, it will include many fieldtrips, science, history, art, nature awareness, survival skills, etc. Most of all, it reinforces one of the reasons *we* chose to home school...to break away from busy work and being inside all day.

I'm not sure if I answered your questions. I guess we start with a plan and have goals I keep coming back to. We school year round modified, meaning, if we want to take off for several weeks to Arizona we can without being stressed.

Can you tell that I didn't sleep much last night? Ack!

Julie in Monterey

I just pulled that book out last night. I read it last summer and it helped me so much this year. I scheduled almost every week for their school work. I even did two straight weeks when I had the baby in Jan. My husband helps with schooling too. I didn't limit to times...just to get it done. What I found with my boys, especially lately is that they are constantly asking me, "What do we do next", even though it is right on the schedule. My biggest problem with setting exact times is that I am always feel like I am working around the little ones schedule. Like I am under the gun so to speak. I just need a fresh approach. I am going to try to home school year round from now on starting after our 5 week summer break since we need it after schooling all year. I am hoping that will keep us fresh and motivated. My plan is 6 weeks on and 1 week off, two weeks off at Christmas, Feb. when everyone is fried, 1 extra week at Easter and 4 weeks during summer. that is the plan. We will see....thanks for your response....

I understand that. I have a four month old. I am interested in the same approach. I just posted that a second ago. I need to focus on writing this year. I just looked through what we did, and no papers. I am so dissappointed. I did write goals for what I called two semesters. One up to Christmas break and then the rest of the year. I realized that I had too many 'workbooks' last year and I am trying to veer away from that. This will be my 3rd year hs. this year was so much better than the 1st and I am hoping the more experienced I get, the more I will feel that I accomplished my goals. The kids love it and I couldn't imagine being w/o them....

As for scheduling for the whole family, we are using Google Calendar. You can make a schedule for an individual person and see how they are overlapping every week, day and month. It's great to use for the family. (In the attachment below you can see three different colors on the schedule for each kid. My dd11 is purple, my ds9 is grey, my dd6 is pink, all of the kids have brown. The picture is very small, but hopefully you can still see it)

As for homeschool planner I am using Google spreadsheets. I don't assign time slots for these. We know from the Google calendar how much time we have that day for homeschooling.

My kids have to finish given assignments. If we have days, when something is dragging, then we finish it later that day, the next day or during the weekend.

I make these assignment sheets for my kids and give them every week. next year my dd11 will learn how to make her own. This is an example of one of my dd11 weekly assignment sheet:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pkx6AQoazFyd0BzyPJJotYA&hl=en

and my ds9:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pkx6AQoazFyfwjTwXUiNoYg

My dd6 does not need one yet, as 75% of her assignments are done with mommy.

post-9370-1353508288248_thumb.jpg

post-9370-1353508288248_thumb.jpg