Menu

Birthday present ideas for a 3yo boy?

Help me pick out gifts for my youngest who turns 3 in June.

We already have more blocks, legos, balls, cars, trains, books, crayons, paints, .......than a Mommy can handle:001_huh: I nix all plastic noise boxes!:tongue_smilie:

Our puzzle stash has been purged down to nearly non-existant. (Thanks to big brother and sister loosing pieces...grrrrrr:glare:) He's really ripe for puzzle play - any ideas on fantastic puzzles?

I'm thinking about Winnie the Pooh on Audio CD. Any recs for a reader?

Any other great ideas?

How about costumes for dress up? My ds loved to dress up like a cowboy, or various superheroes, space alien, etc.

:iagree:I traditionally hit the sales after halloween and stock up on costumes for playtime.

What about a wooden train set? I just bought my almost 3 year old some "Parents" brand wooden puzzles. The one I really liked is a cornicopia of fruits and veges and it has the letters of the alphabet under each fruit or vege. I also like the Melissa and Doug puzzles in the boxes (24 pieces, etc.) Colorforms are also fun for that age.

Summer toys, since his birthday is in June? A bike or trike? Water/sandtable? (sorry, I don't know what the budget is, so some suggestions might be pretty outlandish) Squirt guns/squirt animals? (I've found really cool squirt 'animals' as opposed to squirt guns...all the fun without the gun) Kite?

OOOO Laurie puzzles are awesome, I have 6 or 7 of them. The company will replace any missing pieces for a small fee. I've had to do this twice, and I believe it was either 25 or 50 cents per peice. The puzzles are crepe rubber and stand up to much abuse. Highly recommend them!

How about costumes for dress up? My ds loved to dress up like a cowboy, or various superheroes, space alien, etc.

Oh, good idea...I'll look around.

:iagree:I traditionally hit the sales after halloween and stock up on costumes for playtime.

What about a wooden train set? I just bought my almost 3 year old some "Parents" brand wooden puzzles. The one I really liked is a cornicopia of fruits and veges and it has the letters of the alphabet under each fruit or vege. I also like the Melissa and Doug puzzles in the boxes (24 pieces, etc.) Colorforms are also fun for that age.

We have a Geotrax set already...I could get him an add-on...he loves those things.

Summer toys, since his birthday is in June? A bike or trike? Water/sandtable? (sorry, I don't know what the budget is, so some suggestions might be pretty outlandish) Squirt guns/squirt animals? (I've found really cool squirt 'animals' as opposed to squirt guns...all the fun without the gun) Kite?

I thought about a trike - but we are moving soon, and his big brother's old trike is rideable, though not pretty....squirt toys would go over well

OOOO Laurie puzzles are awesome, I have 6 or 7 of them. The company will replace any missing pieces for a small fee. I've had to do this twice, and I believe it was either 25 or 50 cents per peice. The puzzles are crepe rubber and stand up to much abuse. Highly recommend them!

That's what he needs! Any links? sales?

Does your son like music? I recently gave our son an harmonica. I got it for free so I don't know how much they cost. It was a decent metal one that makes a great sound. He can make music and I can stand listening to it, because you can't make a bad sound on it. It always sounds good. And we have all enjoyed playing it, too.

My little guy turned 3 in November. For Christmas, we got him a Thomas the Tank pop up tent. Here's a link to one. He LOVES it. It folds up really flat, and we slide it behind the couch for storage. :001_smile: I wasn't sure it'd be such a big hit, but it is still getting frequent use, lo these whole 5 months later. :D We found ours for $30 at our local Toys R Us. Just a FYI, though, I have NEVER been able to figure out how to fold the thing back into the circle that it comes in. :lol: I can, however, fold it flat, and it fits behind the couch nicely.

The other big hit we had was a hot wheels track thing that he can put together himself. It's called Hot Wheels Trick Track. I believe that was about (or less than) $20 at Walmart. I didn't want to get it (wasn't sure our boys would like it, as they didn't have any tracks yet), but dh insisted. Boy, was I wrong! Both ds3 and ds6 LOVE it. Ds3 needed a little help putting it together at first, but now he can do it all by himself, and there's a bazillion ways it can go together.

Also, like another poster said, outside toys are a great idea. My Ds3 just discovered big brother's scooter, and he's got some crazy scooter skills! Seriously, who knew a 3 year old could ride a scooter like that! (With a helmet, of course.) My guys also like their tball set, little basketball hoop, and things they can dig in the dirt with.

Good luck!

We already have more blocks, legos, balls, cars, trains, books, crayons, paints, .......than a Mommy can handle:001_huh: I nix all plastic noise boxes!:tongue_smilie:

Our puzzle stash has been purged down to nearly non-existant. (Thanks to big brother and sister loosing pieces...grrrrrr:glare:) He's really ripe for puzzle play - any ideas on fantastic puzzles?

Any other great ideas?

My oldest loved Ravensburger puzzles. They make several children's one in the tray thing with pictures underneath. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_auto_0_5?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ravensburger+puzzle&sprefix=raven.

This was my sons favorite http://www.amazon.com/Busy-Airport-35-Jigsaw-Puzzle/dp/B0016288MI/ref=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1242653001&sr=8-36

Also, does he have his own magnadoodle? My boys also loved anything hotwheels, nerf etc.

Edited by lynn

Any other great ideas?

My youngest boy loooooved (and still does) any kind of costume - superhero, baseball uniform, etc... He also liked (and still does) the big Melissa & Doug puzzles. He has 2 giant dinosaur ones that he has put together many times.

My 3 year old ds loves the Melissa and Doug floor puzzles as well. He also has lots of fun with felt boards, sticker activity books (he has one with "diggers" right now), and he loves Playmobil, especially the dollhouse:001_smile: He also really enjoys playdough, Moon Sand, and paint.

He will be four next month, and the gift he keeps mentioning is.... an accordian. So my MIL is looking for that, and I am going the Playmobil route.

I got a jar of marbles (big and little sizes) for my 3-year-old nephew and my sis-in-law said it was his favorite thing. I know ds loved them at that age too, he still does actually. They put them in cars and trucks, make up games with them, roll them in the bathtub and find oodles of other uses for them...