Menu

IEW...Pros and Cons about this program

Gamom3

I would like to hear your likes and dislikes about this program.

I am not a writer!!! So, I really need something to help "ME" as well as my dc.

My children will be in 5th and 7th grade next year, that is when I would start.

Also, what level would I start my dc at?

They have done very little writing. We use R&S, but what they write(as little as possible) is no where to what they should be writing!

We just started this last week. I love it so far. I bought (used) the TWSS and SWI B for my 4th and 5th graders. My oldest hates to write and he loved Mr. Pudewa. The Student dvds where he is teaching directly to the student has helped tremendously. I will eventually watch all of the dvds in TWSS so I can learn the process and learn how to teach but the SWI helped me get started right away. I rank this purchase as one of the best purchases of my homeschooling career.

PROs: It works! As a co-op teacher, I've seen it work miracles with kids who had never had any writing or grammar instruction at all. It's very thorough, and there's a lot of support for using it through the IEW Yahoo Group or even calling IEW directly.

CONs: It's expensive to get started, but paid classes like the one I teach are even more expensive.

Writing is a core skill that your children really need to get down, and for me the initial expense of buying IEW has paid off in terms of both what my children have learned and now what I can teach.

I didn't care for it. I did sit through a few of the videos. I know many, many people like him, but I .. just didn't. Sorry all. He was amusing at times but I also found him annoying at times. I think you will need to continue a separate grammar program because I don't think IEW is big on grammar... I remember that actually being said in one of the videos. I thought it was very pricey, but then again I do believe that LA is the most important subject to work on.

hth

I am nto a very good writer, I have 3 boys who don't care much for the subject either, so we all needed help. I've been using it with my current fifth grader for 1.5 years now, and I am seeing, finally, less fear, more spontaneity, and better sentences and paragraphs. I have been camped out with KWOs, dressups, simple research papers (one source), and also doing dictation frequently. Finally, I think I will slowly introduce some of the advanced dressups and some of the advanced outlines and research papers using more than one source.

I have had to modify it, because I found the first-second draft for every peice of writing just killed it for my son. It was too much pencil for him and no matter how I presented it, or how much time we took, the dread paralyzed him. I will introduce final drafts again, but babysteps. Overcoming his dislike was the first priority!

I think you will need to continue a separate grammar program because I don't think IEW is big on grammar... I remember that actually being said in one of the videos. I thought it was very pricey, but then again I do believe that LA is the most important subject to work on.

hth

There is no grammar in IEW; it is a writing program only.

My two oldest boys (13 and 10) have been ps'd/private s'd through and their writing skills are very poor, sad to say. I just ordered the SWI B, and it arrived yesterday.

I was previewing it yesterday afternoon during rest time. I think it's probably a little elementary for the older one (although I think he will benefit from a systematic approach to writing), it should be about right for ds10. However, his initial reaction to Mr. Pudewa wasn't very positive. I think we're going to use IEW as afterschooling supplementation for the 12 weeks until school lets out, then we will delve into Classical Writing, unless the pace and rigour picks up quickly. Time will tell, I suppose!

Also, one of the children offered a sample sentence which included a misplaced modifier, and I was none too pleased that this wasn't corrected on the spot! I can understand not teaching grammar alongside the writing, but grammar IMO cannot fall completely to the wayside.

We are on lesson 7 and I've really seen my writing phobic children blossom under the structure that IEW provides.

We use R&S for grammar and I can see the benefits of R&S in their writing. I would recommend this program for a child that has a year of R&S under their belt.

I would recommend that anyone intending to use this for their children have their children learn to type first. Both of my kids type. The only thing they use a pencil for it KWOs. They are more than willing to write paragraph after paragraph with dress-ups if they can type them (draft as well as final).

hth

k

Just have to jump in a mention that grammar is not pushed to the wayside in this program! I find it to be very helpful in integrating writing and grammar.

It is true that Pudewa does suggest letting the students get the hang of certain style techniques before they are heavily corrected on the grammar-this is part of the learning process or trying new things and experimenting with words/phrases (in a rather controlled environment.) Students do learn the grammar of the style techniques as they move along!

And if you think that the course you ordered is not right for you, remember that you are always free to return it-they have a very hassle-free, no questions return policy so you can try something and exchange it for something else that is a better fit.

1. It tends to impose a style on kids that may not be their own. Since one of my main priorities in homeschooling is/has been to maintain and develop my DD's writing 'voice', this is not acceptable to me. Having said that, now that she is almost 12 and has had a lot of writing instruction of varous types, I'm willing to have her learn the IEW way to put some more tools in her toolbelt. But I waited on purpose until I felt that she was solid and stubborn in her voice, so that this can enhance instead of overwhelm her.

2. I cannot stand the idea of watching videos to learn how to teach. That is just too, too slow for me. So if Dd is to learn this way, I will either find her a coop (which I'm optimistic about) or take a live seminar (which seems unlikely at best.)

3. I think Classical Writing is actually a better program. I don't have time to do it, but if I were going to put as much time into this as to listen to all the IEW videos I would probably give CW a shot first. It's broader and less contrived. It also provides a great way to analyze literature, from a writer's perspective as well as from a reader's perspective, that I think ultimately would be more useful.

4. SWB doesn't like it that much. And she teaches writing at the college level.

5. It doesn't teach all of the college level writing styles, so you still have to use something else later. (After all that!) And I have an only child, so the investment of time and money is not spread over a bunch of students. (Although I think that the materials hold their value pretty well.)

because I like the structure of it. I don't care too much for all the stylistic parts because my kids seem to have a pretty good voice without them, although I am teaching them for now. I like that I can use it with any topic and I can tailor it to fit exactly what we are studying this week rather than trying to force something to fit. However, that is also what I don't like about it. I have to come up with the topic and put a little effort into planning. But, once I got over the idea that I would find something pre-packaged where I didn't have to do any planning, I have enjoyed it!

I have my kids hand-write their kwos and their first drafts, but I type them up after that and all corrections are made on the computer.

My 14yo hand-writes her kwo, but types up her first draft and does all her other changes on the computer. She's the only one of my kids who is quick enough at typing to find it faster to type than to write.