Menu

Do I still need to drill math facts in this odd case?

HappyGrace

Ds6 (kindergarten) has a natural talent for math (baffled as to where he got it:D.) He can add a two-digit number in his head (no carrying) in about 10 seconds or less. (He uses tricks I never taught him-tricks like RS and Singapore teach!) So single digits are even easier-he comes up with a quick answer BUT it is because he is figuring it out, not because he knows it as a math fact. So do I just skip drilling math facts with him? He has done hardly any formal math, so I'm thinking he'll naturally get more practice as we do more math. I'll also do RS games with him, but just wondering how "cold" he needs to have the facts as facts, not as figuring them out.

That's what I was thinking-since he's so young and just starting with math, that he'd eventually just know them cold from using them.

But I'm extra paranoid because that's what I thought with older dd, who did RS A-C and never learned the facts cold, and it is a terrible thorn in her side. She is completely non-math oriented though, so it's different.

I'd give him another year and see how it shapes up. Attention spans can be short then, and I'd just keep him going. Sometimes they're fast on addition in the heads, but slower on subtraction.

I had one kid that had to be drilled and drilled on addition and subtraction. He did best with written drill sheets. Flash cards were not effective for him.

The other one never had any addition or subtraction drill. She used RightStart in the early grades and just figured it out. We did play a game daily, but she never needed drill at all.