Menu

First Grade/Kindergarten Schedule Help!

I've been reading the new Well Trained Mind all night and I need help with putting a schedule together. My son turned 6 the end of Jan and I have a son who will be 5 in July. I plan to school year round 4 days a week, 3weeks on, 1 week off. I just can't seem to fit the extras in so give I really need some feed back!

Daily-M-T-W-TR-Bible,Phonics, Math, Handwriting/Copywork

History-maybe 2xw

Science-1xw

Art-1xw

Music-I think at this point we will just listen to classical music during breakfast and lunch

Read Alouds-Daily 1hr

Where do I fit in History, and Science? Is it going to be evenings? I'm used to being done with school before lunch at 1:00 but with me adding History and Science it doesn't seem possible. Maybe by brain is foggy from reading the book last night. I like the idea but now I need a little help implementing if this makes sense!

Thanks,

How long are you planning for the basics to take? I have a kindergartener now (5 1/2) and we do at the most an hour a day of reading, writing , and math. Occasionally it might be more if we're playing math games or doing something he really likes but for the basics I find it easy to do in an hour. I expect next year with first grade to take longer but not that much longer.

Incorporate history and science into read-alouds and playtime outside.

History - just read and color a page. I like to read after lunch and let my 6yo color while the others settle in for nap time.

Science - just read about bugs, plants, birds, etc, etc....and let your dc explore. Take pics of their finds, color a page if you have one, and that's it. REALLY - it's better if science is casual at this age - even better if mom just reads, answers questions and snaps the pictures and otherwise stays out of the way - imHo.

Your schedule sounds GREAT - you have the basics covering most of your schooltime, as it should be. And, the best way to do classical music is to incorporate it into your day like listening during meals - listening while your dc paint/color/play quietly would be good too.

WTG:D - and don't get bogged down with the "extras' (now to tell myself the same advice.......:tongue_smilie:)

Incorporate history and science into read-alouds and playtime outside.

History - just read and color a page. I like to read after lunch and let my 6yo color while the others settle in for nap time.

Science - just read about bugs, plants, birds, etc, etc....and let your dc explore. Take pics of their finds, color a page if you have one, and that's it. REALLY - it's better if science is casual at this age - even better if mom just reads, answers questions and snaps the pictures and otherwise stays out of the way - imHo.

Your schedule sounds GREAT - you have the basics covering most of your schooltime, as it should be. And, the best way to do classical music is to incorporate it into your day like listening during meals - listening while your dc paint/color/play quietly would be good too.

WTG:D - and don't get bogged down with the "extras' (now to tell myself the same advice.......:tongue_smilie:)

I agree with all of this. We squeeze history (SOTW) in when we can--probably once or twice a week--and I often include a history readaloud in our bedtime reading. It helps that DD6 thinks of math and spelling (in lieu of phonics, she was an early reader) are "schoolwork" but history is just good fun!

We listen to the Classical Kids CDs (classical music with stories overlaid) during mealtimes when we can. DD3 gets very agitated during audiobooks because she's not interested in them, but if I prep her in advance, she'll sit through them, or will just leave the table and go play, while DD6 lingers and listens.

I do find that I don't have time for more formal science and I wish I did, but for now, nature walks and general reading do the job.

I think your schedule sounds good too :D

Right now we start our day at 10:00 am because when we wake up in the morning we usually read together in the bed for about an hour. it takes us about 1hr and 30 min for phonics, math and handwriting.Maybe I'm reading into the WTM book a little to deep.

Right now I do cover science and History using Library books during read aloud time . But I was thinking about using the WTM suggestions for history and science(SOTW/Activity book and KF Science Book)? This is what my schedule looks like now maybe I should just leave it.

M-T-W-TR

read alouds in bed in the am(science/history/book list from SL/SM/1000 GB

Bible

Handwriting/copy work

Math

Lunch

readalouds again(they are use to this and love it)

nap/quiet time/

Fridays-piano lessons in the am/library trip/and play

You have most of Friday open after your lessons. You could squeeze in at least one of the subjects then. And I would start to plan to spend some afternoon time on Science & History. That is what works for us. Sometimes that does mean the evenings. If we get all of our morning work done & we don't have anywhere to go in the evenings & dh is working late then we may take the afternoon easy or running errands or whatever & do an hour of Sotw an hour before dinner.

FWIW, we do history in the afternoons twice a week (sometimes using our free Friday afternoons as a 3rd day for projects or long chapters.) And formal Science one day afternoon a week. Music we squeeze in once a week (we use a curric) and Art I aim for once a week, although that may be a lesson or a SOTW project craft. The Art & Music I squeeze in whereever in the week it works, but we are consistant w/Science & History. Extra reading for all subjects happens at bedtime;);).

I followed WTM guidelines this year with my first grader.

Every day we did math, phonics/reading, read-alouds.

On Mon. we added art

On Tues/Thurs we added history

On Wed. we added science

Everything takes approx. 3 hours--sometimes more, sometimes less--depending on the lesson, the mood, and the cooperation!

Right now we start our day at 10:00 am because when we wake up in the morning we usually read together in the bed for about an hour. it takes us about 1hr and 30 min for phonics, math and handwriting.Maybe I'm reading into the WTM book a little to deep.

Right now I do cover science and History using Library books during read aloud time . But I was thinking about using the WTM suggestions for history and science(SOTW/Activity book and KF Science Book)? This is what my schedule looks like now maybe I should just leave it.

M-T-W-TR

read alouds in bed in the am(science/history/book list from SL/SM/1000 GB

Bible

Handwriting/copy work

Math

Lunch

readalouds again(they are use to this and love it)

nap/quiet time/

Fridays-piano lessons in the am/library trip/and play

Could you add reading SOTW into the morning reading?