Menu

Growing with Grammar... reviews?

It seems so popular but I am afraid to use it lest someone comes along later saying it was a big mistake and their kid placed really low in high school or something to that effect.

I had actually forgotten all about this one as an option.

It seems like GWG might have more grammar, since it is strictly grammar. I am also thinking that FLL with WWE has too much overlap, so it may be better to go with GWG and WWE.

My thoughts are a tangled mess.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

We use it for 5th grade. It's great. It is JUST grammar, which I like. Sometimes other grammar programs like to throw in other subjects, like vocab, or writing, even State Capitals (Shurley).

It's really in-depth. Each chapter is about one particular part of grammar, and it really explores that "part".

I can't imagine anyone who does any Grammar course over several years scoring bad on a placement/standardized test. But I know some people just don't "get" Grammar.

We will continue with it, and start younger DS with it when he gets to 2nd grade or so.

It is so easy to implement!!!!

I don't have to do a thing. My son reads the information, does the lesson, and I just check it against the answer guide. It is that easy. It is a totally grammar program. It adds no writing, no vocabulary, no spelling. Just nuts and bolts grammar.

It is a self teaching course. It has diagramming. It has reviews. I love that I don't have to do any teacher prep for this course.:thumbup:

This is a two thumbs up!

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

It does include things like writing a thank you note, addressing an envelope, that sort of very basic writing but not much. We did FLL initially, but it wasn't a good fit for us. We've done GWG 3 and are partially done with GWG 4 and she seems to be retaining more with it than she did with FLL. I am going to be interested to see how she does on her Iowa test this year compared to last.

We also find it very easy to implement and the diagramming is nice for my visual learner.

We used GWG 3 and 4. Compared to EG, I think GWG has more review and covers subjects more indepth. For us, the retention was better with GWG.

GWG 3 was very good. BUt, I was disappointed with GWG 4. It had so much review that it became boring and redundant. I added LL for Elementary Child vol 2 and only used GWG as a review.

Also, I was not pleased with how GWG taught prepositions. I do think prepositions are a strength of the EG program.

It is a solid but basic grammar program. If that is what you are wanting, you should be fine. I seem to recall someone here posted a suggestion to use GWG every other year because of the amount of review. That sounded about right for us. I wish I used GWG3 and not 4 then 5. But, since we did not have a good experience with 4, I am not convinced enough about the overall program to purchase 5.

We love GWG 3.

My ds actually likes to diagram sentences! He is retaining quite a lot of it, and only has to look back in the student book once in a great while.

There are two features that I like.

1. The answer book is bound at the top, so my lefty has no problems with spiral bounding being in the way when he writes.
  2. It is completely secular.

We do one lesson a day, and in about 10 mins we are done. Ds can be a slow writer, or else we would be done quicker.

Looking forward to starting GWG4 in about a month.

It does include things like writing a thank you note, addressing an envelope, that sort of very basic writing but not much. We did FLL initially, but it wasn't a good fit for us. We've done GWG 3 and are partially done with GWG 4 and she seems to be retaining more with it than she did with FLL. I am going to be interested to see how she does on her Iowa test this year compared to last.

We also find it very easy to implement and the diagramming is nice for my visual learner.

Thank you Karen. That was especially helpful.

I seem to recall someone here posted a suggestion to use GWG every other year because of the amount of review. That sounded about right for us. I wish I used GWG3 and not 4 then 5. But, since we did not have a good experience with 4, I am not convinced enough about the overall program to purchase 5.

With WWE and either IEW or WT in the plans, I don't want something with other things in it that could be redundant (FLL, R&S).

So... do you think skipping some lessons for the next year or somehow stretching it out? Or just doing one full year and then something else the next? If I do FLL2 and WT 1, do you think maybe I should skip to GWG 4?

Not to sound snarky, but can someone tell me why it's a problem that a grammar program has a lot of review? It seems to me that that would be a plus? :confused: So what if the child finds it boring, the idea is to get the info cemented into their wee brains, not entertain them, right? Besides, if they truly know the concept, they should be able to breeze through it. My son loves to do stuff he can breeze through, it truly helps implant the info into his long term memory bank! So why not consider those "breeze" years review years and call it good? I'm sorry, like I said I'm not being snarky, I just really don't understand this.