Menu

Fun critical thinking materials for younger kids?

I got my kids Mind Benders from The Critical Thinking Co. in hopes that it would give them something fun and worthwhile to do while I was busy working with their sibling. We got them in the mail Tuesday and my dd finished her's today. I'm glad she enjoyed it so much but it was supposed to keep her occupied longer. Any ideas on something that would last longer? Maybe the software instead of the workbooks? Any bigger workbooks that are fun, or something that wouldn't be so easy for her to complete quickly?

Prufrock Press has quite a few books to choose from. We've used their Connections, Logic Safari, and Logic Countdown series. The Connections & Logic Safari books are the grid type puzzles & they have about twice as many puzzles per book as the Mindbenders books.

Critical Thinking Co.'s Can You Find Me? book is big (> 100 pgs.), but it may be too easy for your dd?

Some other ideas would be to get things like tangrams w/ a book to go w/ them, the RushHour game (she could start working w/ the easiest levels), and a MasterMind Junior game (though it requires 2 players).

You can also print a daily sudoku for kids here.

We just got Lokulus which is a shoot off from tangrams (much more challenging). Have not opened it yet but it looks excellent and i did try it out in the shop, quite challenging. Says from 6+ but i am gifting it to DD for her 5th in July. She is quite on the money with this kind of thing. Being a game it can be used over and over so will never run out like a workbook.