Menu

Ok Hive....I need any experiences, tips, bargains,schedules...etc for Williamsburg

We are leaving to go to Williamsburg for the first week of June and we are going to be there for a week. We are wanting to do Jamestown and Bush Gardens. Neither my dh or I have ever been there so we are clueless as to how to make it economical and fun and to make the most of our time!

Our kids are 9,7,6, and 4 so we are looking for family friendly activities.

I am excited because the timeshare that we are staying at has an indoor pool and an outdoor pool. So, thats a guaranteed activity!

Would love to hear any tips or hints for making the most out of the historic and fun places!

Thanks so much!!!!

From my files...

http://www.williamsburgforkids.com/

If you do not get any of the Colonial Williamsburg passes, make sure you beg, borrow or steal the newspaper you get with the passes. They have very detailed schedules of the week's events -- many of which are free. If you miss the interpretive events you will miss the heart and soul of Colonial Williamsburg.

--

Suggestion: Buy one of their 2 quart bottles with lemonaide and keep getting it refilled for only $1.29 - ask for cups to share with your group - it makes drinking affordable

--

At Williamsburg KOA Campground you can rent a log cabin that sleeps four for $55 a night--you supply the cooking utensils and bedding. Guests can swim in a heated pool, watch family movies and travel to attractions on the free KOA shuttle. The facility is open from March 1 to Novemeber 30. Call 800-KOA-1733. http://www.koakampgrounds.com/where/va/46182/index.htm

--

When in Williamsburg, be sure you see the back yards and side streets. There are more interesting places other than the main street where all the "action" is. What a wonderful place to photograph!

--

Many people don't realize that you can see most of Williamsburg without actually buying a ticket... you just won't be able to enter some of the buildings. A stroll through the town is actually quite enjoyable, and sometimes a photographer's dream! If you are limited on time or funds, or don't particularly care for seeing the insides of buildings, then skip the ticket, take a stroll, and then decide if you want to come back later. But be sure to pick up a copy of the Gazette so you'll know what events are going on around town... like a Parade!

Also ask at the Colonial Williamsburg Visitor Center about special "Flex" deals, such as a "Historic Triangle" package including admission to the Historic Area, Jamestown Settlement and Yorktown Victory Center. At press time that cost $54 for adults and $27 for children.

-Another, the "Williamsburg Flex Vacation," included admission to the Historic Area, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Jamestown Settlement and Yorktown Victory Center for $112 adults, $77 children. You can buy tickets to just about everything, occasionally at discount prices, at the Williamsburg Attractions Center (tel. 757/253-1058) in the Prime Outlets Williamsburg on Richmond Road.

--

Sal's for inexpensive family friendly Italian food

Shakleford's. It's a local favorite, kid friendly, reasonable prices, but gets really busy so it's best to call ahead.

if you'd like to save on lunches I would advise going to William and Mary's campus center marketplace. It's kitty corner to the williams-sonoma on merchant's square-maybe 50 yards away. It's a food court with a burger king, chick fil-a, a pizza and pasta place, a home cooking place, made to order sandwiches, starbucks, freshens frozen yogurt, plus salads, yougurt, cold cereal, etc. Cash only, but about half the price of the taverns for lunch.

--

highlights: 1. The Governor's Palace (guided tour), 2. The Capitol (guided tour), 3. Bruton Parish Church, 4. Wren Building of William and Mary College. 1 and 2 are not included in the cheapest Colonial Sampler Ticket ($33); buy Governor's Key-To-The-City Pass ($45).

--

There's a Food Lion grocery store on Rte 60 -- get your snacks/breakfast items there and feed family in your room. Also lots of pancake houses which are reasonable and tons of fast food places as well as Morrison's Cafeteria and Cracker Barrel.

Our Rec. Assoc. sells discount Patriot Passes for Colonial Williamsburg which are good for 1 year and includes parking at Col. Wmsbg. Phone 202 566-2090 on Mon/Thurs/Fri with credit card info.

--

Your kids will enjoy the animals of Colonial Williamsburg. They are part of the "Rare Breeds" program. Look for the sheep pastures around town, they are Leichester Longwools. Even the Chickens are Rare Breeds. When you buy tickets you get a newpaper that gives all the special programs for each day. At least one program a day is about animals and no extra charge. Usually an employee of the Rare Breeds Program will be at one of the pastures and you get an up close look at the animals, very informal, kids ask great questions and you can just stop by and see if it interests you. We met the Oxen once with their handler, magnificent animals. They even have a behind the scenes tour of the barn area where the horses and carrriages are. That requires a reservation but no extra fee.

Be sure to get Historic Area tickets, the kids get a reduced rate and you truly get the whole experience. Kids love the cobbler making shoes and the cabinetmakers are very engaging with kids. The Powder magazine is another great kid-spot. They can drill in the militia.

--

Here's what we did to prepare our children:

1. The American Girls book series has six historical fiction books about a girl named Felicity who lived in Williamsburg during the year 1774 -- we read them all together. We also read Felicity's World, which tells basic historical facts using children's terms and lots of pictures.

My daughters thoroughly enjoyed these books, and when we arrived they were thrilled to see the church Felicity attended, the ballroom in the Governor's Palace where she danced at a special Christmas party, and the jail where she visited her "enemy" Jiggy Nye. Reading the books ahead of time really made the trip come alive for the girls.

While you're preparing your children for the trip, explain to them that they'll see people in old-fashioned costumes. Tell them that these people are their guides, and explain to them how to raise their hand and ask questions politely. My oldest daughter asked lots of questions of the guides, and they were very interested in talking to her -- kids can be so much fun! I think other visitors were impressed that she understood so much.

2. At the Visitor's Center we purchased a map of Felicity's World (cost: $2). I don't think these are available anywhere except the Visitor's Center book store. The large, full color map gives little girls information about the places they're going to visit and a dozen items to look for as they tour Williamsburg. The items are pictured, so even a non-reader could take part in the game. We found a vase in one of the houses, a bird bottle on a wall, etc. The girls were thoroughly enchanted with their treasure hunt.

3. Don't try to do everything in Williamsburg with children. I'd recommend the following stops:

Governor's Palace -- this is a natural first stop since it's by the bus stop, and the guides give some basic information here. After touring the house, there's a large garden with a maze out back -- take your time and give them a break after the house. The kitchens were closed when we visited, which was disappointing.

The George Wythe house -- located very close to the Gov's Palace, this is a good second stop. George Wythe was Thomas Jefferson's law teacher, and his house is representative of a typical 1774 upper class residence. My girls weren't particularly interested by the interior of this house, but out back they loved the kitchen house, the chicken pen, the laundry house (real fire, real boiling water -- my children even helped pin clothing to the line), and the outhouses. We spent quite a bit of time at George's house.

Bruton Parish Church -- this is very different from your church at home! The church is full of "box seats" -- each box contains two pews, and the boxes are labeled with names like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, etc. I learned quite a bit here, as did my children.

Open Air Market -- located catty-corner across from the church, this market has small children's souveniers. You didn't really think you were going to avoid buying them, did you? They had hats and muskets for boys, bonnets and dolls for girls. Prices were moderate.

The taverns -- my husband and I found the lunch menu to be somewhat less than authentic (the girls had Colonial double-decker peanut butter and jelly sandwiches), and the S/P shakers were made in China), but we enjoyed our meal very much. The atmosphere was nice, and I think the dinner menu is more of a true Colonial meal. We ate an early lunch, and we were able to walk right into Chownings; however, there was quite a line waiting outside when we left.

The Courthouse -- this is a beautiful building, though probably the least child-friendly place on my list.

4. Get your tickets the day before you plan to tour. The Visitor's Center is a mess. It's huge, and the lines are long. There must be a better way! Incidentally, there is no advantage to buying your tickets over the internet. You only get a voucher saying you've paid; you still have to wait in line to have your picture made. We picked up our tickets late Friday afternoon, then returned to see everything on Saturday -- a very good plan. Don't even consider not buying tickets. Williamsburg would be dry as dust if you couldn't go into the houses and talk to the guides.

5. Don't bring a child who's stroller-bound to Williamsburg. Many of the streets aren't nice, modern, flat streets -- that's realistic. You'll have to leave the stroller outside the houses anyway.

Williamsburg with children can be great fun. Plan your trip, read to your children ahead of time, help them understand what to expect, take plenty of rest breaks, and you'll have a good trip.

We camp at the Williamsburg or Colonial KOA, or we stay at the Governor Spottswood Motel at Richmond and Ironbound Roads.

The Spottswood has cottages! It's an old place... but clean, and it has a pool, and it is close to the Colonial Area.. It's right on the Richmond Road, so it has easy access to everything..

The cottages (or the Executive Suite) has separate bedrooms, a KITCHEN, a living room area, and we find it MUCH more congenial than a regular hotel. We usually plan and take most of our meals and snacks. We prepare most of our meals, including our lunch to go, and eat in. It saves us a LOT of money on food, and then we splurge on the Colonial Tavern meals..

--

Big tip: you do not have to buy the passes to walk around Colonial Williamsburg. You can walk the area for free, and see any recreations that are a happening on the streets -- you just can't go inside the buildings without the $30 pass.

Big tip two: You do not have to park in the Williamsburg parking lots. Save the five bucks and park near the shops then walk the grounds.

--

Colonial Williamsburg offers a 50% discount on their annual and/or day passes for teachers, including homeschool teachers. You may be required to show your approval letter from your school district or your HEAV membership card in order to get this discount.

Your children/students will still have to pay regular price (children five and under are free).

--

Don't do the one day pass, there is just too much to see and absorb and one day just won't do it. We so regret that we only spent a day there. We stayed at Virginia Beach, we were doing a beach vacation and a sightseeing vacation all in one. I wish we'd spent one night closer in, or even in Williamsburg, and at least two days in the town. It is worthy of the time. Well worth any money spent.

And force random historical interpretors to pose with your kids. It will embarrass your older kids (AW MOM, not again! Leave these people alone they are working) and enchant your younger kids (they love those pictures) and confuse your mother in law (Now, who is this man in the picture? Is he a friend of yours?).

And feel free to kick your husband if you grow weary of listening to him try desperately to get the interpretors to get out of character. Mine did everything short of tickling them. I thought I would kill him before we got him out of the town!!!

The wig shop was hilarious! My dh teased her and she responded that it was no matter since he was no gentleman anyway. Apparently having facial hair was considered low stature back then and dh has a moustache. She was a hoot! We did Williamsburg for one day and also Jamestown Settlement for one day. I know there is far more to see, but it was the off season and we stopped by on our way to DC. It was still a fabulous time and we definitely plan on going back to catch all that we missed.

--

Bruton Parish is just outside the historical area. It is still a church and has been since colonial times (Felicity attends here in the American Girls books). The cemetery is interesting. There is a nice shopping are just beyond Bruton Parish called Merchant Square. Just beyond that is the campus for William and Mary. I used to find great books in the college bookstore.

--

don't worry about parking. The visitor center/ticket office for Colonial Williamsburg has a huge parking lot and they shuttle you to the historic area. There is some public parking around the historic area, but it's hard to find and has a short time limit on it.

--

For practical family vacation information I like Fun with the Family in Virginia by Candyce Stapen. Her comments about activities are right on track. In the Williamsburg section she provides a good review for Busch Gardens along with tips for survival.

For more than a family could use in one vacation track down Insider’s Guide to Jamestown-Yorktown, Williamsburg by local residents Susan Bruno and Cheryl J. Chase. The chapters are filled with accurate details and recommendations. The depth of information is commendable. The black and white images covey a sense of the experiences that await visitors.

--

the WM dinning facilities are open to the public. I directed another family with school age kids to the weekend brunch for a cheap buffet and they loved it. For $4.50 you can get all you can eat waffles, made to order ommlets, bacon, sausage, biscuts, pasteries, fruit, bagels, etc.

Building: Commons Dining Hall

Phone: 757-221-2128

Located on the west side of campus and across from William & Mary Hall.

Breakfast

Lunch/Brunch

Dinner

Tax included

--

University Center "Center Court" (different place than the Marketplace food court I mentioned earlier). Breakfast is $4.50 (cash only) for all you can eat cereal, fruit, frseh smoothies, breakfast pasteries, make your own belgian waffles, and the hot breakfast of the day (usually french toast, eggs, bacon or sausage, hash browns, etc).

--

Death by Chocolate at the Trellis restaurant outdoor. Ohhhhhhh myyyyyy goodness. It was delicious, and one piece was DEFINTELY enough to feed the four of us, at $6.50.

----------------------------------------

Historic Foodways Junior Interpreter Program. See info at:

http://www.history.org/visit/planYourVisit/whatToSeeAndDo/summerFamily.cfm

--

We camp at the Williamsburg or Colonial KOA, or we stay at the Governor Spottswood Motel at Richmond and Ironbound Roads.

The Spottswood has cottages! It's an old place... but clean, and it has a pool, and it is close to the Colonial Area.. It's right on the Richmond Road, so it has easy access to everything..

The cottages (or the Executive Suite) has separate bedrooms, a KITCHEN, a living room area, and we find it MUCH more congenial than a regular hotel. We usually plan and take most of our meals and snacks. We prepare most of our meals, including our lunch to go, and eat in. It saves us a LOT of money on food, and then we splurge on the Colonial Tavern meals..

--

Big tip: you do not have to buy the passes to walk around Colonial Williamsburg. You can walk the area for free, and see any recreations that are a happening on the streets -- you just can't go inside the buildings without the $30 pass.

Big tip two: You do not have to park in the Williamsburg parking lots. Save the five bucks and park near the shops then walk the grounds.

--

Colonial Williamsburg offers a 50% discount on their annual and/or day passes for teachers, including homeschool teachers. You may be required to show your approval letter from your school district or your HEAV membership card in order to get this discount.

Your children/students will still have to pay regular price (children five and under are free).

--

Don't do the one day pass, there is just too much to see and absorb and one day just won't do it. We so regret that we only spent a day there. We stayed at Virginia Beach, we were doing a beach vacation and a sightseeing vacation all in one. I wish we'd spent one night closer in, or even in Williamsburg, and at least two days in the town. It is worthy of the time. Well worth any money spent.

And force random historical interpretors to pose with your kids. It will embarrass your older kids (AW MOM, not again! Leave these people alone they are working) and enchant your younger kids (they love those pictures) and confuse your mother in law (Now, who is this man in the picture? Is he a friend of yours?).

And feel free to kick your husband if you grow weary of listening to him try desperately to get the interpretors to get out of character. Mine did everything short of tickling them. I thought I would kill him before we got him out of the town!!!

The wig shop was hilarious! My dh teased her and she responded that it was no matter since he was no gentleman anyway. Apparently having facial hair was considered low stature back then and dh has a moustache. She was a hoot! We did Williamsburg for one day and also Jamestown Settlement for one day. I know there is far more to see, but it was the off season and we stopped by on our way to DC. It was still a fabulous time and we definitely plan on going back to catch all that we missed.

--

Bruton Parish is just outside the historical area. It is still a church and has been since colonial times (Felicity attends here in the American Girls books). The cemetery is interesting. There is a nice shopping are just beyond Bruton Parish called Merchant Square. Just beyond that is the campus for William and Mary. I used to find great books in the college bookstore.

--

don't worry about parking. The visitor center/ticket office for Colonial Williamsburg has a huge parking lot and they shuttle you to the historic area. There is some public parking around the historic area, but it's hard to find and has a short time limit on it.

--

For practical family vacation information I like Fun with the Family in Virginia by Candyce Stapen. Her comments about activities are right on track. In the Williamsburg section she provides a good review for Busch Gardens along with tips for survival.

For more than a family could use in one vacation track down Insider’s Guide to Jamestown-Yorktown, Williamsburg by local residents Susan Bruno and Cheryl J. Chase. The chapters are filled with accurate details and recommendations. The depth of information is commendable. The black and white images covey a sense of the experiences that await visitors.

--

the WM dinning facilities are open to the public. I directed another family with school age kids to the weekend brunch for a cheap buffet and they loved it. For $4.50 you can get all you can eat waffles, made to order ommlets, bacon, sausage, biscuts, pasteries, fruit, bagels, etc.

Building: Commons Dining Hall

Phone: 757-221-2128

Located on the west side of campus and across from William & Mary Hall.

Breakfast

Lunch/Brunch

Dinner

Tax included

--

University Center "Center Court" (different place than the Marketplace food court I mentioned earlier). Breakfast is $4.50 (cash only) for all you can eat cereal, fruit, frseh smoothies, breakfast pasteries, make your own belgian waffles, and the hot breakfast of the day (usually french toast, eggs, bacon or sausage, hash browns, etc).

--

Death by Chocolate at the Trellis restaurant outdoor. Ohhhhhhh myyyyyy goodness. It was delicious, and one piece was DEFINTELY enough to feed the four of us, at $6.50.

----------------------------------------

Historic Foodways Junior Interpreter Program. See info at:

http://www.history.org/visit/planYourVisit/whatToSeeAndDo/summerFamily.cfm

--

Thank you so much, this advice is so appreciated!!!! I am printing all these wonderful tips out! If you think of anything else...feel free to let me know.

THANK YOU!!!!

Thank you so much, this advice is so appreciated!!!! I am printing all these wonderful tips out! If you think of anything else...feel free to let me know.

THANK YOU!!!!

Sure! Here are some notes about Jamestown...

Read before going:

Our Strange New Land : Elizabeth's Diary, Jamestown, Virginia, 1609.

http://www.thefamilytravelfiles.com/ezine/articles/238.asp

(Print this – great article)

The Tidewater area of the state, that includes Jamestown, Yorktown and Williamsburg area really does have something for everyone.

There are two parts to experiencing Jamestown. One involves the original location of the colony, Jamestown Island, and the other is a living history complex called Jamestown Settlement.

The Jamestown National Historic Site is the best place to start for a moving history lesson. It is at the end of the Colonial Parkway, separated by an isthmus from the mainland. Video… Onsite more than 200,000 artifacts have been uncovered, catalogued and many displayed for visitors. Kid’s Note: This is a place where “REAL†science and history are happening. This is as cool as the fossil fields in Nebraska.

Olde Towne… New Towne… Without the audiotape or a guide this is where kids loose interest. To complete the tour we took the suggested loop drive.

--

Less than a mile from the island is Jamestown Settlement, the perfect compliment Jamestown Island. The museum facility offers four ways to experience history. Our tour began in the museum building with the docu-drama.

Adjacent to the theater there are three themed galleries. The English Gallery describes life in England and the conditions leading to colonization. The Powhatan Indian Gallery displays aspects of life from more than 10,000 years ago. The Jamestown Gallery traces the development of the young colony.

Indian village with interpreters.

Ship.

http://www.nps.gov/colo

To get the whole picture it is important to see both Jamestown Settlement and Yorktown Victory Center. There is a combination ticket that provides entry to both for less. The saving is about 15% and it is not essential to visit both places on the same day. 1 (757) 253-4939, 1-888-593-4682 or http://www.historyisfun.org'>http://www.historyisfun.org'>http://www.historyisfun.org'>http://www.historyisfun.org

Editor’s Note: Go to Jamestown Settlement and Jamestown National Historic Site before visiting Yorktown. The timeline begins in 1607 and concludes with the Battle of Yorktown in 1781. Walking through time will help your children put the pieces together. Allow at least three hours to enjoy Jamestown complex. We spent a little over four hours and could easily spend more. The opportunities to engage in activities with your children will determine the time. Yorktown Victory center will take a minimum of two hours but I think more like three in order to participate in the seasonal activities with your children.

-------------

Books for the trip.

Haynes, Patricia. Our Strange New Land : Elizabeth's Diary, Jamestown, Virginia, 1609. (My America Series). The target group is ages 9-12 years but and enjoyable read For any age.

McDonald, Megan. Shadows in the Glasshouse. (American Girl History Mysteries) Set in 1621this book is targeted to ages 10 13 but is also an enjoyable clever way to entice anyone to learn more about Colonial America.

Lasky, Kathryn. A Journey to the New World : The Dairy of Remember Patience Whipple, Mayflower, 1620. (Dear America Series) While not about Jamestown it is a similar time frame and a nice way to connect history in America.

Insider’s Guide to Williamsburg, Jamestown-Yorktown. By Susan Bruno and Cheryl J. Chase. I found this book to be indispensable during our trip. Try to get a copy well in advance of your trip because it is packed with information. Not all of it is directed to families but the descriptions and tips pertain to any age.

--

Jamestown Settlement and the Yorktown Victory Center. These two locations are a must to get the whole history picture. Both locations have state of the art displays and audiovisuals. At each location interpreters engage visitors. Though often said in the same sentence they are not within walking distance of one another. A combination ticket is the best option because both are a must see. Children under 6 are admitted free. 1-888-593-4682 toll-free, 1(757) 253-4838 or http://www.historyisfun.org

--

There is a State run (expensive museum-away from the National Park service run island) which houses three ships, an indian village(replica) and a museum area(proabably have a film there too). I think I would pay and go to the State facility there...There is also short free car-ferry ride across the river to the rural other side of the James, which is a nice entertaining boat ride and takes about total time of a couple of hours.

The scenic Colonial Parkway(free) extends from Jamestown , beneath Williamsburg(a tunnel) to Yorktown. a total distance of twenty miles). At Yorktown is the historic battlefield and the small historic town. There are also two visitors centers...one run by the state of VA and one by National Park Service. I suggest you go only to the Natinal Park Service reception center(view the movie) and then ride or walk around the battlefield.

-------------------------------

Glassblowers

http://www.nps.gov/colo/Jamestwn/glasshouse.htm

-------------------------

Jamestown. That was perfect for our boys. We listened to some demonstrations, which were very informative. The ships were neat. The Visitor Center was also good and they are expanding that as well. When we left it was around 6:00 and we took the ferry to Surry. I think that was the highlight of our trip! The James River was so beautiful that time of day and just like an ocean to me! And free too! My boys just loved it! It was just a great way to see the sunset. I highly recommend the ferry!

---------------------------

There are two Jamestown options, the original site run by the NPS, JT Island, and an adjacent re-enactment site called JT Settlement. Both are great places to visit, the latter more interesting to kids. I like the original myself.

------------------------------

Jamestown focuses on the interactions of the natives with the first English explorers. Our kids liked both the original site and the re-created site.

Yorktown on the other hand is focused on the Revolutionary War. The kids were not as interested but we had been in the CW area for 4 days and this was our last stop before leaving town.

---------------------------------

For kids 10 and under I would pick Jamestown Settlement. Kids like the native crafts & village and the full size reproductions of the three ships are always a bit hit. As Suzie said, Yorktown has some interactive activities for kids which would engage a 10 YO will interest/knowledge in the history. More hit or miss for age 6.

-------------------------

At the Jamestown reinactment site you learn a lot about how the native Americans lived, see the settlement (reconstructed buildings) and see reproductions of the (tiny!) ships that they came over on.

-----------------------

There are two "Jamestowns" to see, one being more expensive, but with costumed interpreters/reenactors.

------------------------

Take the Jamestown/Scotland ferry to Surry County. Kids love the ride. Bring bread to feed the seagulls which will follow the ferry.

------------------------

There is a Colonial Pkwy that connects Jamestown - Williamsburg - Yorktown that is a scenic drive along parts of the James and York rivers. Jamestown is approximately 15 drive from CW. If you have extra time, coming or going or inbetween, the Jamestown ferry is next to Jamestown Island and Settlement connecting Jamestown to Surry. Some people enjoy taking this trip just for fun esp. w/ young children - bring bread to feed the gulls, stop at Surry House Restaurant for a meal. Yorktown is in the opposite direction on the parkway from Wmsbg about 20 minutes.

---------------------------

You can reach Jamestown in less than 15 minutes (by car) from almost any part of CW. The best way to Yorktown is along the Colonial Parkway, about 20 miles and very scenic drive along the (no surprise here) James and York Rivers.

--------------------------------

Jamestown Settlement. They have some great stuff for kids, including reproductions of the Susan Constant, Godspeed, and Discovery. Also, Yorktown is a neat place to visit.

5 miles sw of Williamsburg is Jamestown, first permanent english settlement in North America. Jamestown Ferry right next door with the three ships.

Jamestown Island and the Yorktown Battlefield are National Parks, no problem with your National Park pass there.

There are adjacent sites, Jamestown Settlement and Yorktown Victory Center which are run by a private organization. They're both well worth visiting though a separate entry fee will be required.

The Yorktown Victory Center is like the Jamestown Settlement, with costumed reenactors. He can talk to a "soldier" and see how they lived in their "tent villages". Our sons were quite interested by the "hospital tent" and how medical procedures were performed in those days. You can see the YVC in an hour. A quick drive through the battlefield will show you some cannons and you can see how differently war was fought in those days. I haven't met many boys who are intrigued by wars, guns, and other military stuff. Yorktown is a half day visit, easy to combine with the short drive from Jamestown.

Glassblowers at Jamestown NP.

More on Jamestown...

Jr. Ranger program at Historic Jamestowne. I got the impression that it hasn't been very well publicized, but my kids had a blast doing it and got very official looking badges to bring home. Ask one of the Park Rangers at the front desk for the booklet for your kids to work on while they explore. If they complete 3 parts they are named "Jr. Rangers" and get an extremely hearty congratulations on the way out. It was fun and made them pay very close attention to the details there at the site.

I would also recommend sneaking away sans children to the bookstore at the Williamsburg Visitors Center. I found a great many unusual resources for our American History Studies... like plays for readers theater, lots of fabulous short books about government, oh - just everything wonderful!

http://www.nps.gov/colo/home.htm

--

Jamestown actually consists of two facilities. The first is the Jamestown portion of Colonial National Park, which includes Jamestown Island and the actual site of Jamestown. The second is Jamestown Settlement, which is operated by the Commonwealth of Virginia, and is located just outside the national park about a mile from the actual site.

Colonial National Park - fee is $10 per adult, includes both Jamestown and Yorktown, age 16 and under free - pass is good for 7 days, not just the day you buy it - tour Jamestown Island, a museum on the island, and the Glasshouse (they make glass there), and entry to some buildings at Yorktown - (if you only want to tour one, fees are $8 for Jamestown only, $5 for Yorktown only) - most of the Yorktown portion of the park is accessible without paying a fee - the Colonial Parkway is a road that connects the Yorktown and Jamestown portions of the park, and it is accessible without a fee - good views of the James and York rivers from the Parkway - pack a lunch and have a picnic at one of the parking sites along the Parkway

Jamestown Settlement and Yorktown Victory Center are not part of the National Park system, but are provided by Virginia. Admission fees are higher, but the displays are a lot more interactive. For example, at Jamestown Settlement are replicas of the ships the original colonists arrived in, Jamestown Fort, and a Powhatan Indian village.

Historic Jamestown http://www.historicjamestowne.com/

--

For kids, I like Jamestown Settlement more than the Yorktown Victory Center. It's more interactive and less dependent on them knowing the specifics of the history to enjoy and learn. To engage kids more, the YVC does focus on colonial farm & military encampment life. You should check out the website for the specifics of the Victory Celebration. (http://www.historyisfun.org/)

We went to the NPS Yorktown this time and my son did the Junior Ranger program (cost $1) and preferred this Yorktown over the Yorktown Victory Center. The short film Siege at Yorktown was worth seeing. I remember my kids enjoying Yorktown Victory Center last year (although not nearly as much as Jamestown), so I'm not sure which I'd recommend if you had only one to see.

--

While the fact that there were two Jamestown sites was confusing, we visited both and found something for everyone. The original Jamestown site offered interesting archeologicial information, while Jamestown Settlement - a living history museum - was better for the kids. Between the two, we enjoyed a full days' worth of history in a hands-on fashion. We would return!!

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/65229.html

--

http://www.nps.gov/jame/planyourvisit/justforkids.htm

http://www.colonialwilliamsburg.com/kids/

http://www.history.org/teach/ (you can sign up to receive a monthly email newsletter through here too)

http://www.historyisfun.org/Curriculum-Materials.htm

http://www.jamestown2007.org/kids.cfm

http://www.historictriangle.com/vacations/

http://www.teacheroz.com/colonies.htm#Colonies

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/historyofus/teachers/primer.html

Lesson plans are provided in K-2, 3-5, middle school and high school levels.

http://www.wjcc.k12.va.us/tahg/sites/jamestowne.html

http://www.virtualjamestown.org/

4. Get your tickets the day before you plan to tour. The Visitor's Center is a mess. It's huge, and the lines are long. There must be a better way! Incidentally, there is no advantage to buying your tickets over the internet. You only get a voucher saying you've paid; you still have to wait in line to have your picture made. We picked up our tickets late Friday afternoon, then returned to see everything on Saturday -- a very good plan. Don't even consider not buying tickets. Williamsburg would be dry as dust if you couldn't go into the houses and talk to the guides. .......

An alternative place to get your tickets or get your voucher's exchanged is the Secretary's office next to the Capitol building. I believe you can also get them at the lumber building at the other end of the Palace Green.

If you do go to the visitor's center, they have a good film telling the story of a fictional colonist and how he changes from a loyal Englishman to a supporter of the revolution. Occasionally hotels will also carry this. For us oldies, the film stars a young Jack Lord of Hawaii 5-O fame. ETA At one time there was a fee for parking at the visitor center but was dropped. I don't know if it's been reinstated during the past two years. If you park at the visitor's center, walk to the historic district at least once. There's a bridge that slowly walks you back in time to the colonial period, but even better is the colonial farmstead that's usually missed if you take the buses.

Check with AAA for discounts on the tickets.

Make reservations for tours about 3-5 days ahead of time to get the best times and selections. Also check for free concerts at Brunton Church and Williams and Mary. Get to the Brunton Church events whe the doors open to get a seat.

ETA If you have the time and inclination, it's fun to bike along the Colonial Parkway. There are plenty of pull offs to park and unload the bikes near the rivers. It's basically flat near the rivers, a bit hilly close to Williamsburg. We had a tag-a-long bike (a detachable bike that turns your bike into a bike for two - child and adult) for ds at the time so I didn't need to worry about him and traffic, which wasn't bad in spring. Watch for birds (ospreys ad Great Blue Herons) along the rivers and at Jamestown.

Edited by Kathy in MD

We just spent 3 days there and the best advice I can give you is to have your children in costume. My children are about the same ages as yours and they got to do so much more being in costume. They interpretors interacted with them much more and they had special "tasks" that they were required to do. They went into the garden and planeted seeds with the gardner, picked up letters at one location and then took them to the post office, got manners lessons and such. Oh, and go for militia practice at the Battery. My kids loved this so much they did it every day! You could also bring costumes from home and it would be less, but just make sure at the very least your boys have a wooden rifle and your girls have a long dress and bonnet.

They also loved visiting the craftsmen. The brickyard, the blacksmith, the cabinet maker, and the gunsmith were some fo the favorites.

HTH!