Menu

Do you do math fact drills?

rafiki

I don't like to drill until they are at least somewhat familiar with the facts.

I prefer to have them copy and/or recite them *with* answers initially. My favorite resources for this are Copying the Facts and any flashcards with the answers on one side, without on the other.

At that point, we use the computer drill at the Math U See website and the answer-less side of the flashcards to become more proficient, usually 2-3x/week.

Edited by angela&4boys

We drill every day. Flash cards and 5 minute drills most days, Math Shark for fun, fill-in time when I'm busy with my older guys.

I've also started having ds6 write out fact families (or whatever you call them :confused:)

0+8=8

1+7=8

2+6=8

3+5=8

4+4=8

5+3=8 (etc.)

Or sometimes:

6+3=9

9-6=3

9-3=6

My younger one does a fact sheet in Saxon 1 every day. For facts she hasn't quite got down yet, we do it together. Once she's doing pretty good, she is allowed to do trampoline math for a treat, in which she jumps on a mini-tramp and yells out the answers to my questions. We do not time the fact sheets until later.

My 8yo is working through Saxon 54, and was having a hard time getting all the facts down well. The Saxon fact sheets were just too big and varied for her, even without timing. So I started giving her Mad Math Minute sheets which I downloaded. Every day I time her while she does one. Mostly they focus on one set at a time (4s, 6s, 8s), which is good for her right now. She has improved a lot in speed and recall. Once she is really good, I'll have her do the Saxon fact sheets I've been saving up--I want to continue right through the summer, since this is her biggest stumbling block in math and it helps her so much.

Yes. In the lower levels of Saxon they have math fact sheets with 25 facts/day. By 5/4 they're doing fact sheets with 100 problems/day. For fun we use Quarter Mile Math. If there are problems they are getting stuck on we use flash cards.

Yes, (nearly) daily. :) For the younger children I use simple workbooks chock full of timed drill sheets available from local bookstores. For older children (5th-6th), I prefer the Saxon Drill Sheets for their variety.

HTH. :)

Flashmaster.

At first, every day. Then, 3 times a week, then twice a week, then once a week. The current math section we're doing in Singapore is fact intensive, so we've dropped it for a while.

We'll do RS games this summer, last summer I did nothing--half the math facts she learned in K jumped right out of her head.

We do math drills. I love the math drill booklets called Straight Forward from Garlic Press. They have several books (addition, advanced addtion, subtraction, advanced subtraction...) They go from drill type pages to practice through calculus. You might find them at a local education store.

We didn't do drill before, and then I realized that ds was struggling and hating math because he didn't have all the facts in his head. So we have switched to CLE math, and love their flashcard system and the daily speed drills. It's helping him so much, and math is no longer dreaded. :001_smile:

We do but this may be of some interest to you.

I never had her do addition and subtraction fact drills. I don't even remember why. Later, when it came time to do multiplication facts, we started daily use of flash cards and timed sheets (from here:http://www.math-drills.com/). At the same time I started doing daily mental maths (about 15 - 20/day). We use the ones in the back of the HIG and we do them orally: she doesn't see the problem or work it out on paper. I started her quite a bit lower than her grade level b/c we hadn't really done a lot of mental math problems so she started with addition.

Well, it was agonizingly slow going at first but now she has her addition/subtraction facts on the tip of her tongue b/c after a while they just sank in -- and now she wrestles with the problems, not the facts. It worked brilliantly eventhough it wasn't what I had in mind to do.

If I had it to do over, we'd start with mental math early and just do it that way for all facts.

FWIW.

Oh, when we started Mental Maths (which we loving refer to as our Mental Problems) we started out doing 2-3 and worked up from there. We didn't start at 15 - 20!

We do oral mental math orally with MCP Math three times a week and occasionally I will use flash cards. I haven't used them in a few months though. Next year we're going to be using Calculadder drills daily (two minutes). I believe getting the facts down is important and I can't be counted on to do games regularly. If Calculadder doesn't work for us, I have the Flashmaster or Math Shark in my mind as a back-up. I may have to check out the math drills website too -- thanks for the link PP!

Edited by sagira

I have my dd count by #s in the car, or when she needs a wiggle break (with jumping jacks, while hopping on one foot, etc.).

She does about 3 wrap-ups (3x each) a day (drilling multiplication and starting to drill division now), and we review +/- flashcards about once a week.

We do math facts every day, and we use plain old flashcards. Over the years (1st-5th grades), we have used just about everything you can imagine, and each one was good for that time in my son's life. But right now, we use just plain old flashcards.

My main suggestion, if your child is struggling with math facts, is that you teach the facts by families. So in the same week you learn (or review)

3+4=7

4+3=7

7-3=4

7-4=3

With a young child, I might work on just those 4 facts for a week, and the next week, pick a different family.

At age 11, I give my son 12 families (36 facts/36 cards) every day for a week. Then we do a different 12 families the next week. And so on.

KUKU, done while Commuting to work. It is a Japanese tweak on oral multiplication 'times table' practice. eg. 9,9,81.

She is getting a Nintendo DS for her next birthday, and MathTrainer for it (think its a drill type 'game')... Pandora's box? Anyway we'll see how it pans out, but due to current time constraints need something that she can engage herself with.

Edited by Ray

Never. However we did play our second round of the Right Start math game "Addition War" and the not yet 5 year old was getting almost all the combos of two numbers 0 thru 10 correct.

When Mommy walked in and heard him say 9 + 9 = 18, her jaw dropped and she hung out for the rest of the game. A few more rounds and this skill should be mastered.

"Drill" by other means? Perhaps :D

Bill

KUKU, done while Commuting to work. It is a Japanese tweak on oral multiplication 'times table' practice. eg. 9,9,81.

She is getting a Nintendo DS for her next birthday, and MathTrainer for it (think its a drill type 'game')... Pandora's box? Anyway we'll see how it pans out, but due to current time constraints need something that she can engage yourself with.

Let me know how the Pandora's Box thing works out Ray. I'm of two very passionate (and polar opposite) minds about this sort of thing. And both sides would like an ally :D

Bill

I'm a big fan of daily drill -- we usually do written drills, but I love the RightStart games for a little additional practice.

In my experience, 5 minutes of daily drill cuts down on our *overall* math time, even doing the same quantity of problems.

R&S math facts flashcards, 4x/week for my 8 year olds. It's been worth it for us. The boys don't bog down at all in computation when they're doing Horizons and SM.

My 6 yod does skip counting in the car & is starting addition flashcards.

Yep...daily. I use CLE and it drills math facts for 1 minute before each lesson. Then we do flash cards (just 2 numbers at a time, like x2 and /6) - usually takes 2-5 minutes (depending). This starts in 1st grade and is part of every single lesson through the years. :)

Edited by Tree House Academy

The only facts I drilled with my 11yo were multiplication facts. We never really drilled addition and substraction, she just learned them by doing her math every day. As far as division, once she knew multiplication, she knew those too.

The only facts I drilled with my 11yo were multiplication facts. We never really drilled addition and substraction, she just learned them by doing her math every day. As far as division, once she knew multiplication, she knew those too.

Everything I go to post today, the person before me has said :D! We only do multiplication facts also.

Blessings!

Dorinda

FlashMaster ! When dd underwent educational testing early this year, and strong math disabilities were confirmed (as we had suspected), one of the suggestions from the lead researcher was to use FlashMaster. We already had it.

We tried the flashmaster and found it not helpful. But it's worth trying everything I guess;) Lots do like it.

I teach them to skip count first, then move on to Times Tables the Fun Way.

2nd. Another good one is _Memorize in MInutes: The Times Tables_ Personally, I prefer MIM slightly over TTFW b/c it covers all of the multiplcation tables.

The Rightstart Math card games are invaluable for making drill fun. It was lifechanging for us.

K

I use RightStart math games for drill.

I occasionally bring out the flash cards, but it's generally for me to assess what he knows with automacity rather than to drill.

I like the math copywork idea - ds needs more work on writing the numbers in general...so that would kill two birds with one stone.:001_smile:

Never. However we did play our second round of the Right Start math game "Addition War" and the not yet 5 year old was getting almost all the combos of two numbers 0 thru 10 correct.

When Mommy walked in and heard him say 9 + 9 = 18, her jaw dropped and she hung out for the rest of the game. A few more rounds and this skill should be mastered.

"Drill" by other means? Perhaps :D

Bill

RS games have been the ticket to memorizing math facts here. I tried giving my 8 yr old math copywork, having him do Flashmaster, giving him timed drill sheets, and using flashcards. It didn't help him with retention, but once we started RS games he was remembering his addition and subtraction facts with no effort. We play the games a lot, daily.

RS games have been the ticket to memorizing math facts here. I tried giving my 8 yr old math copywork, having him do Flashmaster, giving him timed drill sheets, and using flashcards. It didn't help him with retention, but once we started RS games he was remembering his addition and subtraction facts with no effort. We play the games a lot, daily.

I've been almost staggered how effective the RS games have been thus far.

We spend most our our math time doing age appropriate "conceptual" work, but it sure is nice to have a fun means of buttoning up the low-level math fact retention skills. I do believe the mental pathways are much more open when the child is having fun, and "anxiety" and pressure are "unknown concepts".

At least when they are little.

Bill (who likes the RS games more and more everyday)