Menu

All About Spelling questions....

SS in MD

I'm hoping someone can help me with a few questions regarding AAS -

I'm planning to use AAS with my dd next fall. She'll be in 3rd grade so I'm wondering what level should I buy??

Also, our youngest ds (5 yo) is starting Kindergarten, I was thinking of using OPGTR, but I read a post saying AAS could be used as a stand alone phonics program?? Is that correct?? Just wondering since I'm already buying AAS for 8 yo dd's spelling, can I also use it with ds for phonics? Or is OPGTR a more rounded reading/phonics program?

Thanks so much for posting! :)

I started with AAS with a second grader. I chose to start at the very beginning, knowing I'd progress rather quickly through it (since some was review) and also knowing I'd re-use the program in another few years with my younger child (to supplement phonics).

Not the cheapest route, but has proven effective for us - start at the beginning and work through each level at varying paces. Rinse, repeat with the second child.

Start with Level 1 of All About Spelling. You may miss some important information if you don't. I took my dd through it even though she had been doing Spell to Write and Read/Wise Guide for Spelling, which teaches the same things. She went through it rather quickly, but it was good for her.

I'm sure you could use AAS as a learn-to-read phonics program, but I think it would be rather slow. I tried that with SWR/WG but gave up after a while and switched to Alpha-Phonics. I had taught my first two kids to read with AP, and it was rather quick. I was too impatient to use SWR/WG for teaching reading.

AAS is publishing readers to go along with the program. The first book is available. It has a classic look to it with nice black and white drawings.

I would start your 3rd grader in level 1 of AAS. I started my 3rd grader this past year starting in level 1 and just finishing level 3. She has had an amazing improvement in her spelling.

I had previously asked about AAS being used for phonics instruction however by the time I use it my kids would have finished basic reading instruction with a book called "The Reading Lesson". This book just teaches a young child how to read. It doesn't go through all the rules. I was trying to decide between OPGTR and The Reading Lesson when my boys started K. I decided to use The Reading Lesson followed by AAS level 1 in 1st grade. If you choose to use OPGTR, I'm not sure that it will be necessary to start at AAS level 1 because OPGTR is a complete phonics program.

I wouldn't be comfortable using AAS as a stand alone program to teach reading and phonics. OPGTR sounds like a good plan to use with your K son.

Ann

With AAS you start with level 1, even through the words are easy. My oldest went through level 1 in 24 days, doing one level a day.

I am using AAS as a learn to read program. I did the Get Ready, Set, Go for the Code books to learn the consonant sounds first. Though we just started last week and we are still just reviewing the phonograms. He can't really do the segmenting either, so it will be a pretty slow process. In this case that isn't a AAS problem, it is just that he isn't able to hear the sound yet. Just yesterday in his code book we covered wink, and when I asked him what sound he heard at the beginning he said /k/. It will come in time...

Heather

I actually started my rising 3rd grader last summer with AAS 2. There are dictation sentences on the website to 'test' your dc to see if this is ok. The 1st lesson of AAS 2 reviews everything from AAS 1. We didn't have any trouble doing this. She just completed AAS 3 last month.

I just wanted to give you a different perspective.