Menu

Fess up about math

Ohdanigirl

Ok for all you curriculm junkies out there, how many math programs do you have? There are so any programs that look like they work well together, so how many do you use at once. DS 4.5 is going will be doing RS-A, I haven't decided if Singapore EB should be done with it, and the other two are doing Singapore, supplement with Miquon, and I am itching to supplement with Life of Fred now for the next few years, or at least buy it so I just look through it. So what about the reast of you? How many?

dd12--ALEKS, TT, Lial's

dd10--ALEKS, TT

ds9--ALEKS, TT

ds7--HM

In the past I've used Saxon, Scott Foresman, and the Key To series, with a short foray into McDougal Littel. We've been pretty consistant for a while, and I did most of my experimenting in the earlier grades. But I have to admit that next year we are giving Chalkdust a go for my oldest. :tongue_smilie:

Horizons K & 2.

Calvert K5.

Abeka K4 & 3rd.

Univ. of Chicago Everyday Math 1st grade (from when ds8 was in ps)

Saxon 2 & 3.

Someone help! Convince me that I only need to keep what I'm using! I keep trying to convince myself to sell the others, but a nagging 'what if I need this for supplement, or to see how this program teaches ___ differently, etc.' feeling keeps me from getting rid of them! :D

Singapore Math

Miquon

Mammoth Math

Key to Fractions, Decimals and Algebra books

Russian Mathematics 6

Singapore NEM

Dolcini Pre-Algebra

Foerester's Algebra I

Somebody stop me....

I still have Math Without Borders on my wish list...

I always have a math book with me when I have to sit and wait (karate, appointments) so I can do math problems for fun. Yes, I'm sick.

K

I s

Singapore Math

Miquon

Mammoth Math

Key to Fractions' date=' Decimals and Algebra books

Russian Mathematics 6

Singapore NEM

Dolcini Pre-Algebra

Foerester's Algebra I

Somebody stop me....

I still have Math Without Borders on my wish list...

I always have a math book with me when I have to sit and wait (karate, appointments) so I can do math problems for fun. Yes, I'm sick.

K

I s[/quote']

Thanks a lot, that Russian Math caught my interest a while ago, but I keep trying to stay away.:D

I always have a math book with me when I have to sit and wait (karate' date=' appointments) so I can do math problems for fun. Yes, I'm sick.

[/quote']

No, you're not sick! I'm totally with you! ;)

I have an entire shelf dedicated to my math books, and I am seriously considering starting a collection of antique math books. :)

My absolute favorites are my Dolciani books. I have very fond memories of using these books in school in the early 70's.(Yes, I'm that old!)

Edited by ccm

Well I really only have Singapore and LOF that we are currently using. For future use I am a mess. Now most of these I have gotten off paperbackswap or extremely cheap so the only real investment is shelf space.

I have for Algebra:

Holt Algebra

Painless Algebra

Life of Fred Beginning Algebra

1960s Dolciani w/solution manual

1975 Dolciani

Geometry:

1960s Dolciani

1985 jurgensen

Algebra II:

1985 Dolciani

1960s Dolciani

Foerster's Classic Algebra II & Trig

Lial's Intermediate Algebra 8th edition

You could say I like to keep my options open. :D

Wow, all I have is Math U See, and I love it!

But, I confess, when it comes to history, I am a total junkie....so I guess we all choose our areas of obsession! At least you guys are making me feel better about all the history I just bought, while I still have tons on my shelves.

I have tried Math Mammoth (samples) MUS (alpha) Horizons (K) Rightstart (games and abacus) Addition Made Easy, Abeka (Arithmetic 1)

I kept the MUS blocks and decimal street (accidentally, but it does work) but got rid of everything else. I kept Addition Made Easy in case I need it for DS later.

Abeka is so thorough and teaches from so many angles, I really don't see ever needing anything else.

The only thing is that I did have a wish of a math curriculum that has to do with discovery, like Miquon.

I feel like this is a set-up :D

Miquon (the whole course and all 3 teachers books)

Singapore EB Standards Edition (textbooks, activity books and "readers")

Tokyo Shoseki's Mathematics for Elementary School Level 1

Kyoiku Dojinsha’s Mathematics Workbooks 1A & 1B

Mathematics Enrichment Programme aka "MEP" (all primary age materials)

Comprehensive School Mathematics Program aka "CSMP" (full program)

Right Start (Al Abacus Book, Games Book, cards and manipulatives)

Singapore Primary Math SE 1A & 1B (workbooks/textbooks and HIGS)

Complex Word Problems (Full set 1-6)

Plus a variety of manipulatives.

Bill (who feels he's shown restraint :tongue_smilie:)

I feel like this is a set-up :D

Miquon (the whole course and all 3 teachers books)

Singapore EB Standards Edition (textbooks, activity books and "readers")

Tokyo Shoseki's Mathematics for Elementary School Level 1

Kyoiku Dojinsha’s Mathematics Workbooks 1A & 1B

Mathematics Enrichment Programme aka "MEP" (all primary age materials)

Comprehensive School Mathematics Program aka "CSMP" (full program)

Right Start (Al Abacus Book, Games Book, cards and manipulatives)

Singapore Primary Math SE 1A & 1B (workbooks/textbooks and HIGS)

Complex Word Problems (Full set 1-6)

Plus a variety of manipulatives.

Bill (who feels he's shown restraint :tongue_smilie:)

Just part of my evil plan.:D

Just Algebra I, I have Foersters, Dolciani, MUS, Life of Fred, and NEM!

I have lots of Singapore, LOF, Key To, one level of Calvert, and one level of Teaching Textbooks. My 7 yo is using a Ray's Arithmetic book that I downloaded from the computer. We just pull it up on the computer and do it together, so I don't have a hard copy of it.

Math was my favorite subject in school, and I still love math books!

Well I really only have Singapore and LOF that we are currently using. For future use I am a mess.

We lead parallel lives, my dear. Can we start a club?

Post-Singapore Trauma or PST for short!!!

We have LoF Beginning Algebra -it's only going so-so.

Algebra II, Chalkdust.

I'm probably going the Teaching Textbooks route, cuz I just need this decision OVER WITH! Sigh. Someone, draw me a map, please?!

Currently in use: Ds, 5, is nearing completion of BJU 1 and A Beka 1. We double up in the early years. Dd, 8, and dd, 11, are both in Saxon 65. Ds,13, is nearing completion of Saxon Algebra 1/2. Dd, 14, is struggling with Saxon Algebra 1. I don't think that the problem is with Saxon...she just resists math:glare: Ds, 20, is working through Saxon Advanced Mathematics at a leisurely pace. We also use Key to Fractions, Decimals, and Percents in the 4th grade. We have Family Math on the shelf, but it hasn't seen much use.

What I have bought:

Right start

Math U See

Singapore

Life of Fred

Bob Jones

Auffmann -Prealgebra

Larson-Algebra/Geometry

Lials Basic College Math

Teaching Textbooks

Dropped in the first weeks/month:

Rightstart

Teaching Textbook's

Lials Basic College Math

Singapore is pretty much the basal curriculum, I add MUS and BJU for two kids and the third is using Auffmans Prealgebra with LOF.

Right now I just have:

MUS manipulatives

RS B (comes with a drawer full of manipulatives!)

Singapore 1A, 1B, and 2A--workbooks, textbooks, HIG, and IP

some Singapore manipulatives

After Saturday (convention), I'll probably also have

Miquon

Singapore full set of CWP

and who knows what all else!

In a few weeks, I'm getting a copy of "A La Decouverte de la Mathematique et Les Reglettes Cuisenaire"

Unfortunately, it's in French and I only know 20 words of French. I do know a lot of Spanish!

We've always had a "spine" math and supplements here. We never used more than 1 math program in a day, though.

In the younger grades (1st-4th)

We would do the spine until we "hit the wall" -- run into a concept we don't get -- and then we do a supplement for a week (or a month), and then go back to the spine math. Sometimes we would do the spine Mon-Thurs, and supplements on a Fri. as reinforcement of whatever the concept was in the spine math.

In the older grades (5th-8th)

We would complete the spine program, and since we always finished it well before the end of the year, we would then skim a supplement program for the rest of the school year.

For upper level math (Algebra and above)

We just get through the spine math in one year. No time for supplements (alas!).

Math program combos we've used:

- Miquon (spine) and various short math manipulative booklets

- Singapore (spine) and Miquon (supplement)

- Saxon 3 (spine) and Miquon (supplement)

- Singapore (spine) and Saxon (supplement)

- Math-U-See (spine) and Singapore (supplement)

We are using MUS with a pile of suppl books (like primary and intermediate geobards, 1-100 activities etc). Friday I am picking up Horizons to use alongside MUS. So then we will be doing 2 programs with each child and less of the extra books.

and I am seriously considering starting a collection of antique math books.

To late for us - I have 1887 Essentials of Trigonometry by Wells, 1928 Strayer-Upton Lower, Middle, and Higher Grades Arithmetics, 1931 Mathematics for the 8th Grade California State Series, and 1962 Fundamental Concepts of Elementary Mathematics

And

Singapore and ALL it's parts and extras

Saxon (phasing out)

TT (one year for specific purpose)

Hands-on Standards from Learning Resources

Foerster

Jacobs

Thinkwell

Right Start games

and have used Miquon in the past. And then there are the 1/2 dozen math referance books and the manipulatives.

What we are using/planned for next year:

Right Start

Miquon

Kyouiku Dojinisha's Mathematics Workbooks

Mathematics Enrichment Programme

I don't plan to use it all at the same time, but I like to try a variety of things to keep it fun. :001_smile:

What we have that didn't work:

Rod & Staff

Math Mammoth

Spectrum Math K

I have ordered Singapore's CWP for grades 1-3, but they're on backorder. I didn't count them since I don't have them....yet. ;)

Math perfection = Singapore + Miquon + Rightstart :D

I think I have had at one point/tried/or still have hiding in my secret math stash....Saxon, Horizons, MEP, several Dollar Store books for adding/subtracting with Spiderman and Disney Princesses, telling time and counting money........and a few more that aren't coming to mind at the moment...:001_huh:......Oh, was I suppose to count what's on my hard drive? Let's see- I've got a few Math Mammoth books (they were super cheap at currclick LOL - and several freebies....:blushing:

I have landed on Singapore as my main maths. LOVE IT! ds6 is zipping through 1A right now and dd4 does Earlybird.

Miquon was my first maths curric. I actually think the reason I love Singapore so much is b/c it meshes so well with Miquon. ds6 has those c.rods in his brain and I pretty much explain everything in those terms.

Rightstart math games (and the Alabacus guide) have been a welcome addition to our math cabinet. The games are our drill. The Alabacus manual gives me more tools for explaining and teaching.

ETA: I have a shamefully full cabinet of math manipulatives.......I'm an addict, for sure!

Right Start, Levels A-C

Singapore Primary Maths (US Ed.) with IP and CWP, EB Math

Life of Fred, entire series

Primary Grade Challenge Math, Challenge Math, Becoming a Problem Solving Genius, Real World Algebra

Mathematics 6

Pearson/Allen Algebra 1 and 2

Moise's Geometry and Elementary Geometry From an Advanced Standpoint

Gelfand's Algebra

numerous logic and puzzle books

Need to acquire: rest of Gelfand texts, some logic texts

Under consideration: Art of Problem Solving, Chalkdust, Thinkwell, eIMACS, EPGY

DD the Elder started out in Right Start, but it wasn't a good fit. She worked through Primary Maths through 4A, but was bored. She's almost finished LoF: Decimals and Percents, and after this I'm hoping to use Zaccaro's Challenge Math and Becoming a Problem Solving Genius along with bits of Mathematics 6 to buy some time before moving on to Algebra.

DD the Younger is working through EB math.

Hmmm....

I bought Miquon way back and sold it, but still have the Cuisenaire rods.

Singapore math has been our core from Earlybird, now starting 6

Have supplemented with:

MathUSee skip count CD and tape

Math Detective

Math Mosaics (Addition Adventure, Subtraction Secrets, Fraction Finders, etc.)

Math Path

Code Breakers

Cranium Crackers

Quick Think Math

Right Start Abacus book

and since 4b also:

Challenge Math

LOF Fractions/Dec & Percents

I've recently bought:

CWP 3-6 for younger dd

CWP 6 for older dds

Maniuplatives (this is where it gets embarassing)

Pattern blocks

Tangrams

Cuisenaire rods

MathUSee blocks

MathUSee fraction overlays

Fraction circles and overlays

Fraction tile tray

3 Right Start Abacuses (abaci??)

Everyday Math card deck

Quick Pix Math and Multiplication

Triangle Flashcards

Math War

Weigh to Learn

View-thru Geometric Solids

Various mathy rulers, protractors, compasses, etc.

For after 6b I have on the shelf:

Discovering Mathematics 1a/b

Foerster's Algebra I and teacher's guide

I'm planning on LOF Algebra and up for one of my dds, but I haven't purchased it yet. What restraint! :tongue_smilie:

I am a math curriculum junkie. Here is what we are currently using, of course not all at the same time:

ds, 2nd grade:

CLE Math

BJU Math 2

Singapore 1B (finishing up, ready for 2A (standard edtn) this summer

Now, after the convention in Arlington last weekend I'm probably going to change things up for 3rd grade. Here is what I'm drooling over:

Teaching Textbooks 4 :lol: -This looks great!!

BJU Math 3-not sure yet, we are doing CLE Math on a trial basis for now

Singapore Standards 2B/3A

ds, Pre-K:

BJU Math K

Liberty Math K (Christian Liberty Press)

Once he finishes those, I'm switching to Abeka Math 1 and Singapore Standards Edtn 1A/1B

dd, 3yo

Kumon workbooks

Critical Thinking Press' Mathematical Reasoning-Beginner level 1 (for 3yo)

In the past I've also used Saxon and Horizons. I quickly dropped those.

On my future math list for my oldest: poor thing, he's my guinea pig:tongue_smilie:

Chalkdust Math- I saw this at the convention-can't wait for this

Life of Fred

Formerly used Saxon Math supplemented w/Singapore Earlybird, but recently switched our math spine and sold all Saxon materials.

Spine: RightStart

Supplement: Singapore

Extras: Miquon, CalcuLadders 1-3, Ray's New Primary Arithmetic, and a variety of manipulatives.

:001_smile:

Edited by CMama

We've given Saxon, Horizons, Rightstart, Singapore, Teaching Textbooks, and CLE a try.

What we're keeping is CLE for my dd (she'll be finishing first and starting 2nd next year) and Teaching Textbooks for my older son. I also have LoF Fractions and Decimals/Percents that we'll do along with TT for him next year.

I have since sold all the others. I'm on a big "clean out" frenzy. If it hasn't been used in the past year I'm selling it or giving it to the local HS book store. I'm not really keeping much because my youngest is only going to be starting Pre-K and I don't have any clue what type of learner he'll be. I will keep TT as my son finishes it with hopes that it will work for my dd in a couple of years.