Menu

What's the #1 reason you chose classical?

lovinmomma

I'm just starting to research the clssical education philosophy. I got WTM from the library a few days ago, and I'm just wanting to know why people chose it. What does it mean to you? What does it look like for your family? Why did you choose it? Why do you feel it is important for your child's education?

When I started homeschooling way back in 1995, I had never read WTM or even heard the term "classical education." We pulled our two oldest boys out of public school because they were being put into gifted programs and we didn't like the way the school system handled the "gifted" kids. They were isolated from the rest of the kids in their grade, didn't even eat lunch with them, and treated like they were superior to everyone. They had also moved my second son from K to 2nd grade in one year and he was still bored. They sent him to the county office for testing and the lady handling the testing told me that the school system had nothing to offer my son.

So we pulled them out and I put together what I felt would be challenging and interesting to them. I just naturally schooled "classically." When I read the WTM for the first time, I had implemented most of her ideas and used a lot of her curriculum choices on my own. It resonated with me.

It has worked well for our family, but I have found some of my younger kids are not naturally bent that way as much as my older two. I have had to adjust over the years.

As far as the #1 reason, I guess it would have to be that I simply believe it provides the best education for my children. It is academically rigorous and the end result is well-educated adults ready for whatever they choose to do in life.

I had a nebulous feeling of what I wanted for my kids education before reading WTM. I knew I wanted them to read whole books, not just excerts. Anyway, when I read the WTM, it all came together into a feeling of this is it. I still have to tweak it to fit my kids learning styles and our budget, but I have a goal. So much of our culture is based off of Roman, Greek, British cultures among others, that to not learn about it would be self defeating.

I incorporate classical into our model for education, and CM is very similar.

I started thinking about homeschooling when ds was two years old (that was more than three years ago). First I read about Montessori, but kept getting stuck at the materials. Then I found Charlotte Mason. It was, and is, the sort of education I wanted to teach/give and suspected ds would thrive on. I found Tanglewood Education, a mix of CM and Classical, and knew I had found the framework I was looking for.

A friend who didn't have enough shelf space had me keep her books. She was interested in and contemplating homeschooling. One of her books was the old copy (2004 edition I believe) of The Well Trained Mind. I read it. I was overwhelmed at kept shaking my head. Too much, I thought. I could never do this. Then I read more Charlotte Mason and noticed that the rigor of her lessons were of the same caliber and flavor as that of TWTM's, but slowly building up from shorter lessons to longer lessons. I like a rigorous education. In fact, I demand it. I read SOTW Volume I. Loved it. I am convinced of studying history chronologically. I bought it and the activity book. Meanwhile, my friend wanted her copy of TWTM back and is not homeschooling anymore, but afterschooling instead. She's expecting her fourth child and working full-time.

Come 2009, I see that as far as breadth, scope, depth and rigor, CM and TWTM have much in common in the middle and high school years. I think I'm mostly CM with a touch of Classical. I got TWTM (10th anniversary edition) for Mother's Day and I'm reading it. Savoring it is more like it. I feel like I'm right on track from K-6 (could use some help with resources and ideas), but I'm going to need help with 7th onwards. TWTM keeps me focused on the rigorous aspects and provides great resources. suggestions and lists. I use it as a wonderful reference, together with When Children Love to Learn, Books Children Love and Teaching Children. I also use TWTM for inspiration and to imagine the future, with college as the last goal before a well-rounded, intelligent, articulate, perpetual knowledge and truth seeker.

I had no clue about anything when I started homeschooling my oldest ds 11 years ago. A friend of mine homeschooled and told me about Christian Liberty Academy.. As that was all I knew about, I ordered the 2nd grade "kit" and began. I didn't stick to it completely, though, and began branching out, and as time went on, more and more things became available on-line. Somehow I found WTM and went through it. I was very overwhelmed! A friend told me to just break it down, and I realiized it wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be. I don't follow WTM rigorously, but I LOVE it! I've learned so much through it and this site! We had a WONDERFUL year of history when I took all three of my kids through SOTW 1 and the Activity Guide! We did a LOT of hands-on activities, many from the Activity Guide and some from on-line sources we found. We actually took 2 years to go through Ancients in-depth, because we loved it so much. That's something they still talk about! I go through the book every year, using it as a guide, and researching what will work best for my children.

I'm thankful to Susan and Jessie for writing this book! I know that our homeschooling experience wouldn't be as rich without it! I see all my kids have learned from this, how well they are doing, and how well-rounded their education has been!

I read TWTM when ds was in 1st grade.

The way they explained studying history chronologically made so much sense. My own history education was miserable.

The way they explained reading great books like The Illiad and The Odyssey in 1st grade with a 1st grade version and 5th grade with a 5th grade version, then they would read the real thing in high school because they already knew the story made so much sense.

The reasons they gave for studying Latin made so much sense.

The science rotation gave me a plan instead of just floundering.

I have a degree in math. I've got that one covered. TWTM helped me to cover everything else in a sensible way that I never could have come up with on my own.

I had been researching homeschooling for about a year, but I had been frustrated because I didn't believe I "fit" into any one category. I liked living books from CM, notebooks from the notebook approach, Latin from the classical approach, combining subjects via unit study, etc.

I had thought I would enjoy classical overall, but Doug Wilson intimidated me, and he was the only classical guy around at the time.

Then, I went to my first HEAV convention in 1999 and there saw SWB and talked with her at length. I bought WTM when it came out shortly thereafter, and EVERYTHING I had liked about all the other approaches was there! I was home! I haven't looked back since.

I had done enough research so that when the approach that fit our family popped up, I recognized it immediately. One thing I had done was work through the first two chapters of this book to develop our educational philosophy and goals. Cathy Duffy's book is also good to help with educational philosophy, as well as learning styles.

Doing your homework and the hard thinking about what your goals are for your family will help you too recognize the right approach. It seems like a lot of work, but I have found that it saved time in the long run.

Edited by WTMCassandra

While my main focus is that my children grow up to be servants of Christ, I feel they can best do that with the best possible education I can give them. I agree with so much in the WTM, even though I was not classically educated, in fact I was not very well educated at all, and am learning along with my children.

I found WTM in a bookstore just before I got pregnant with my oldest. I read it, and my first response was, "That's great, so we'll have to find a school that incorporates all of this!" :lol:

I read more about homeschooling and different reasons and approaches, but I kept coming back to WTM and its methods, even if we don't necessarily use every single exact curriculum recommendation. Ultimately, to borrow from Sonlight, this is the way I wish had been taught. If I'm going to homeschool, then we're going to homeschool for academic excellence, and I see WTM as the best route there, at least for us.

Do we have to have a reason? I don't have a reason.

My homeschool is probably more "traditional Christian" than classical. But I've incorporated many ideas I've read on this board over the years. I don't really have a reason better than "I read about it on TWTM board, and it has worked out great."

I started researching homeschooling options a few years ago. I always knew I wanted to homeschool but didn't really get much further beyond that until my daughter was about 2. A friend of mine recommended several books (Cathy Duffy and Debra Bell) to help me determine my learning/teaching style, the learning styles of children, why I wanted to homeschool and what the different schooling philosophies were.

In Debra Bell's book there was a "test" that helped you determine which philosophy would be the best fit. Classical and CM were my highest and they were almost tied with DH. After that I read TWTM and realized that it was exactly what I was looking for; a rigourous program that started in the 1st grade (preschool/kindergarten optional) and gave a solid foundation for learning for the rest of my children's lives.

I'm excited to learn along with my daughter and wished I had been educated using this model.

Like many have said, WTM, with its all-laid-out format, helped me choose classical ed. I'm a little more go with the flow, but the arguments for it sure make sense to me. I like the history and literature base, and I certainly think it prepares one to think in life--pretty important to be able to see where you stand, make a reasoned argument (so you don't fall for everything under the sun), and listen to diverse opinions respectfully (a skill I feel is developed by not focusing solely or even mostly on the American experience, and by reading widely).

I'm just starting to research the clssical education philosophy. I got WTM from the library a few days ago, and I'm just wanting to know why people chose it. What does it mean to you?

To me a classical education is one that follows the basic progression of the trivium from grammar to dialectic to rhetoric.

What does it look like for your family?

We're still in the grammar stage at this point. Our focus is on the 3Rs. We learn history chronologically from a Christian worldview. Science at this point is more information gathering than anything else. I would say we have a blend of classical styles based primarily on TWTM, CM, and Christine Miller's website.

Why did you choose it?

Because the philosophy resonated with me personally when I first read TWTM. Because I believe it to be a solid, rigorous education that teaches children to think logically for themselves.

Why do you feel it is important for your child's education?

As an adult, I want my children to be able to determine what they believe and to logically defend why they believe it on a wide range of topics including religion, politics, ethics, etc. I want them to understand math conceptually so that they can correctly apply it when needed. I want them to know and understand history so that they can learn, discuss, and apply that knowledge to their lives and the world around them. I want them to understand science well enough (even if they don't major in it) to be able to distinguish good science from pseudo-science and be able to have an informed discussion on both. I believe that a classical education is the best method to reach these goals.

I'm just starting to research the clssical education philosophy...I'm just wanting to know why people chose it.

I noticed, before I started formally homeschooling, that my grandmother could do all sorts of awesome math in her head (figure percentages, etc.) that I couldn't do.

When I started homeschooling, I immediately felt a pull towards "older methods". Rod and Staff math and grammar appealed to me, because of their "Old School" approach...and hefty scope and sequence.

So...the "Older is Sometimes Better" train of thought was with me, almost from the beginning.

What does it mean to you? What does it look like for your family? Why did you choose it? Why do you feel it is important for your child's education?

To me, "classical" education means using some methods and resources that are time-proven. There's no fraught-with-secret/singular-meaning definition, for me, just plain ol' usin' old stuff. :-) (That applies to "old languages", too, though. Latin, Greek.)

There's a little book by Gene Edward Veith that talks about several different "classical education" views and approaches, and the Mortimer Adler section, from that book, probably describes my bent the closest.

To quote/paraphrase Adler, I'm concerned with the "classics" when they mean "...anything of enduring value", and promote participation in the "Great Conversation"; the reading and discussion of the Great Books.

Adler mentions habits, which puts me in mind of another educator I agree with, quite a bit...Charlotte Mason. But I part ways with Adler on his disbelief in specialization at a young age, because I like to encourage passions in high schoolers, and utilize those same passions in their continuing education.

(So...I don't really fall neatly in line with any one educator, for any stage of learning. I like some of Charlotte Mason's and Maria Montessori's ideas for younger children, and move towards a more classical type of homeschooling as they get older.)

I believe a classical education will serve my children that decide to go to college well, by giving them a good start...but I also believe that should any of my children choose a path that doesn't include college, they'll have a good, solid foundation for life. That's what I believe a good education should do, and I believe classical methods and materials (to a certain degree) accomplish that.

I believe it gives children a taste for good, enduring things of beauty. Puts them in the habit of appreciating them, at a young age.

As far as The Well Trained Mind is concerned, I picked it up when my oldest was about to start first grade. I'd taught her to read and do simple math, and wanted to see about putting some framework to the rest of her education.

I think I'd always kind of thought that teaching history chronologically was best, but I can't swear to that. I know that several things in TWTM resonated with me, as others have mentioned.

The Introduction, where Jessie talks about homeschooling her kids in response to how they were doing in school (over-prepared, bored, mismanaged by worried teachers), and Susan talks about her college freshman that were talented, but "digging with their hands" really hit me.

I was in a similar situation to Susan and her brother, in elementary school, but because no one considered homeschooling me (and frankly, I'm not sure it would have been a good idea)...I was left where I was. After a grade skip and some attempts at a few other things (one pull out class I remember, a suggestion for a "special school", and a brief move to a private school)...they simply let me coast/quit trying to teach me where I was. (They also figured that I was slacking in math, because my development/giftedness was sooo asynchronous, so I got in trouble for that, rather than getting help.)

In other words...it gave me encouragement that I was absolutely doing the right thing for my kids, by showing me what was possible when a parent is in charge, truly, of a child's education.

I've strayed from many recommendations, found my own way on some particulars...but I'll always be grateful to SWB and her mother for writing that book, and giving me a map for part of what was rolling around in my head.

And for that Introduction.

I would have still been "digging with my hands", in many ways, if I hadn't run across the Well Trained Mind, so many years ago.

Edited by Jill, OK

As a child I loved to learn and read anything and everything. I hated school and though I got very high marks it was drudgery. I was attracted to TWTM because of the history that makes sense and uses real books. I did not want to use textbooks with DD. Even if you don't follow a classical model, TWTM gives you the information that you need to plan your own curriculum, and do a good job at that.

I read TWTM when ds was in 1st grade.

The way they explained studying history chronologically made so much sense. My own history education was miserable.

The way they explained reading great books like The Illiad and The Odyssey in 1st grade with a 1st grade version and 5th grade with a 5th grade version, then they would read the real thing in high school because they already knew the story made so much sense.

The reasons they gave for studying Latin made so much sense.

The science rotation gave me a plan instead of just floundering.

:iagree:

TWTM gave feet to my feelings. It gave me a short and long term plan.

I read it when #1 was 5 or so. She's now 10, and I ordered the new addition. I was super excited about Classical Education and (CM as well) although with life circumstances, things didn't go as I'd hoped the last few years. Now, re-reading, I'm ready to jump back in, fill in the gaps that I missed, and start the younger set off with a firm foundation. It really just "clicks" with me.

DD- 10

DS-7

DD-5

DS-4

So many of these responses are the exact reasons why I chose the Classical approach. I was fortunate enough to have been placed in advanced classes, including pull-out ones, in school, and I attended a rigorous private high school. Little did I know that the private all girls school I attended was giving me a classical education until I read TWTM. I remember getting to college where my peers were floundering, and so many of them had never heard of or read some of the most basic classics. I couldn't fathom that! I vowed my children would be well-educated.

I am a voracious reader, and I want the same for my children, so providing them with the great books was a must from their birth. I am not strong in math despite accelerated classes during school, so a thorough math foundation was a must as well. Science and history needed to be thought-provoking and exciting, and SWB's descriptions of how to teach in TWTM made me say, "Yes! This is IT!" They include wonderful opportunities for the child while providing them with great books as the backbone vs. boring textbooks. TWTM was everything I was looking for when I began researching homeschooling. I love the classical philosophy of the trivium, its methodology, and the outcome that can be produced. I feel it will give my kids an interesting, yet challenging, education that will prepare them for their future whatever road they choose. They'll be thinkers as well as producers, and for my family, that is our goal. I am grateful for TWTM and its thoroughness.

I'm a lot like Jill. I wanted old, time-tested education designed to develop wisdom and virtue and not just job training. I wanted whatever John Henry Cardinal Newman was writing about in "The Idea of a University". What C.S. Lewis had with his tutor. I didn't really know what it was other than that nebulous "liberal education", which to me meant classic works of literature, history as a humanity not a "social science", math, languages, general thoughtful well-roundedness.

I married a philosophy student who wanted those things for our children too. We wanted them to learn how to think deeply and well and to communicate with excellence.

And we loved reading Francis Schaeffer in college. Which led us to Susan Schaeffer MacCauley. Who led me to Charlotte Mason. :) Francis Schaeffer also led us into the Reformed tradition theologically, which led us to Doug Wilson, who led me to the classical, Christian school movement. Where I discovered classical homeschooling and the WTM. Honestly. That's how my web searches played out. LOL.

WTM quotes David Hicks. So I read "Norms and Nobility" shortly after I found WTM and had another dimension of classical education to consider. Dh discovered Adler and the Great Books program. Then somehow I stumbled on Andrew Kern and the Circe instutute.

And a couple of years ago now the book "Climbing Parnassus" was released and talked about here and gave me more to work with. Drew wrote his LCC to help break down those Simmons' ideas for homeschoolers.

I honestly don't know what my #1 reason was at the start. Probably academic pride actually. I wanted the best and brightest children and believed classical ed. was the best route to that. ;) But it's grown into a desire to see them develop as humans, as individuals created by God each for a unique calling and for a common calling as Christians. Classical education offers the tools of learning certainly. It teaches children how to think, how to learn, how to communicate. But the content historically used to practice those tools upon (Latin, Greek, Classical and Christian literature), shapes their souls as well as their minds.

We did an emergency take out from school of dd2, (now adult) and the rest came out soon after ("you mean, we don't HAVE to go to school? If she's not going we're not going either!" :lol:)

Then we were unschooly for a bit (as in we had no idea what to do) then I read lots of books from the library including WTM. My response to WTM....fancy people doing all that, don't they have a life! :lol:

So we offically unschooled. Then dd2 said, "the trouble with unschooling is that you only do things you know you will like, I think I'm missing stuff!"

Then we tried Sonlight. Adored the concept, but the kids (voracious readers all) hated a lot of the readers,("too depressing") and I hated being tied to a schedule. (in those days I had not learnt how to tweek)

So I started reading again. By now DD1 has grown up, and dd2 is officially homeschooling but is also in full time ballet classes. I read WTM again. I think about it a bit more. We incorporate a few more 'lessons' in our lives. Dd2 starts Apologia Biology, and LOVES it. (Loves a textbook! What is going on!) She asks for a Latin roots book to help with the biology. I buy her Vocab vine and Biology Vine. She is happy. She asks for maths, does Videotext. "This is so unfair! Why did nobody ever tell me about this before! Its so easy!"

So dd is doing maths, science, Latin roots. There is no stopping this girl. She asks for French, Japanese.....we buy Rosetta Stone. Dh starts to panic, what is all this going to cost!

Meanwhile I have ds coming along 6 years behind. He is, of course, unschooling. He reads, lots. He taught himself to read on Calvin and Hobbes. He has done no phonics, very little maths.

So, we buy MUS, and start right at the beginning. We read SOTW aloud. He enjoys himself. DD2 goes off to College.

This year DS, now 12, is doing Maths, Apologia General Science, IEW B, Getting Started with Latin, Minimus and bits of First Form Latin. Some of the Sea and Sky books from Winter promise, as he is a serious ship enthusiast, we are sort of unschooling a history/geog/world explorers with this! Handwriting (at his request) and he is asking for Ancient Greek next. No formal literature yet, but I am watching Adam Andrews "teaching the Classics, a Socratic method for Literary Education" and guess what will be next!

And ds is loving it. After the last holidays (2 weeks at Easter) he said "I'm so glad to be getting back to school!" Sadly, that attitude lasted only 2 days...;)

Sorry a long story, but these things often are!

Willow.

I read a blurb about classical ed online and started jumping up and down yelling "That's it! That's how education is supposed to be!" A reaction like that is a positive sign :D I liked the strong English focus, because I think literacy skills are the key to unlocking so many other subject areas, and using chronological history as a spine made sense as a reference point. My own history education was lousy because we studied a bunch of unrelated things so I never made the connections between them.

Rosie

I had planned to hs before I found WTM. I gathered catalogs for a few years and read about different styles. I knew I didn't want to be laid back(or nothing would ever happen, lol) and I knew they were showing signs early to read....so WTM really hit home that they could do a full schedule of subjects and still enjoy learning. I really researched before we started and WTM just felt 'right'.

What it looks like? Well I try to follow the recommended subjects. But some things we change to fit us. SOTW just wasn't what I wanted for History...so I tried SL and LOVE it!!! But my son is reading SOTW for fun reading. We do all the LA stuff and already started Latin...which is a HUGE hit here. We follow the 4 year history/science rotation. We use a lot of living books too. So can't say its following WTM to a tee...but we like the ideas behind classical education and it's my main resource for guidance.

Again, when I read WTM it just 'fit' us. It fit what I wanted for our hs and we have enjoyed doing it this way so far :-)

I already owned almost all the books mentioned!

(Only half joking.)

I always wanted to learn Latin, and textbooks squelched my natural love of learning, especially in history. I read widely, but did not read anything history related until years after I got out of college.

I read WTM when my dd was in Kindergarten and it just made sense to me. It's how I wanted to educate my dd, it's how I wanted to be educated. I tried implementing part of it and then I added some more and some more. Next year we are going all out WTM and not looking back. It just feels like home for our homeschool!

I first read the WTM when my kids were still in ps while I was pining away at wanting to hs them. It just felt right kwim. I knew what I wanted for their futures as adults and felt that following this method helped guide us each step of the way towards those goals. Of course since then I have been brought back to reality in accepting my kids limitations and knowing that we will not being following TWTM exactly the way I planned but it has continued to give me a framework and a desire to push harder to ensure the kids educations are not neglected. Even while coping with new babies, job loss, depression etc when it would be so easy to claim to be unschoolers and let the kids do as they please as I wallow, TWTM has kept me focused on the goals I have for my children's futures.

Elizabeth, your DD turned 7! :) Emily's B-day is in July. They must be really close in age.

Yes, pretty close!

Maybe we'll move wherever you are eventually, and they can play!

We'll be moving this summer and then the summer after that, then about every 18 to 24 months after that until my husband retires.

The first experience I had with WTM was quite a while back. I'm not sure if I got the book from the library because I had heard of it, or if I had just heard a lot about it. At any rate, I was impressed, but thought, "No way could I handle all of that!" We used Calvert kindergarten (with Saxon math instead of Calvert math) with my 3-1/2-year-old who was beginning to read. It was a wonderful program, but by the half way point she was extremely bored. So, I decided it was time to do things my own way so that I could mix and match. From there I pulled out my Rainbow Resource catalog and started searching. I came across McRuffy science. After going to their website, I fell in love with their Phonics and Reading program instead. Then I found SOTW for history. When I went to research that further online, I somehow found my way to WTM. So, I ordered a copy from the library. After reading through the first section of the book all the way through the grammar stage, I decided that if I was going to do SOTW, I could also probably handle the science. The WTM method for those two subjects just made sense to me at the time.

Now, a year later, my dear child is once again bored. So, next year we're going to loosely follow WTM suggestions. What I'm currently planning on (subject to change at any point!) is using WWE (to assist us with the SOTW narrations that we struggle with) for writing, R&S 2nd-grade spelling, and GWG. It took me a while to get here, but in the interest of helping my daughter(s) be all she (they) can be, I've pretty much gone entirely classical. It just all came together for us.

Yes, pretty close!

Maybe we'll move wherever you are eventually, and they can play!

We'll be moving this summer and then the summer after that, then about every 18 to 24 months after that until my husband retires.

wow! well I am in IN, the Crossroads of America".Let me know if you move here.:)

I had started homeschooling my 7 and 9 year olds a few months before I found TWTM. I was torn between the different philosophies of homeschooling, but was feeling drawn to Charlotte Mason and heading that direction. But then I found TWTM (after reading all the CM people saying bad things about it) and I was immediately certain it was for me.

I think what appealed was the high academic standard, but presented in such an organised way- it has meaning, not just random ideas. I had also learned some Latin and some classical literature at school and so I didnt feel immediately intimidated by them. I think it was mainly that I just couldnt imagine giving my kids a better education- this was the ultimate!

Since then I have made many changes and I am one who changes things around every year and keeps things interesting for us, and personalised for us. But TWTM is a continual inspiration and I have enjoyed the posts recently about the recent conference, and the 3rd edition of the book.

I was researching different methods of hs when my dd was 4. I had read some CM stuff, Moore approach, knew about SL. I couldn't quite find a method that was the right fit. I got WTM out of the library and loved it. I loved how it broke things down for each level. I loved how it gave me a plan of where we would end up. I am another big picture person. I need to know what the expected result from following a particular method is. I like the expected end result of the WTM.

I need to know that my children will be able to think for themselves. There is so much information and misinformation available that they have to have a way of sorting through it. I believe that following the method laid out in the WTM will give my children the tools they need to be independent adults. They will have a good background in history and science and be able to learn for themselves. They will be able to tell if an argument is illogical. They will be able to control information and use it for their purposes rather than be controlled by it.

I love the wtm so much but couldn't buy it so I would have a copy out from the library for weeks at a time. After following it for 4 years I can see where it is going. I can see the reasons why things were recommended. I value the reasons why SWB choses some curr. over others, but if there is something that I'm using that SWB doesn't recommend it's okay. In following the WTM we don't have, nor do I think we are encouraged to be zombies. You should evaluate if these methods resonate with you. Does a particular curriculum meet the needs of the intended user? Will it help you or hinder you from reaching the goals you have for your family?

The WTM has defined my homeschool. It has provided a basis for education that is far superior to the public schools here (and in general we have good ps). SWB has mentored me through her writing. I wouldn't have embarked upon this wonderful journey into classical ed. if she hadn't illuminated the path to show that it was possible. I will always be indebted to Susan for inspiring me.

I started out with Sonlight, loved it! Bought all the Ruth Beechick books out there. At that time classical to me meant memorizing, workbooks and doing a ton of work.

In time I figured out that while Ruth Beechick philosophy can work, it works best in an environment where the parent has mastered the topics covered, so at those teachable moments that come up they can step in and explain things. Because the child is asking they are more likely to stick. The problem I ran into is I had huge gaps in my education (like knowing any grammar), and I couldn't step in at those teachable moments.

Meanwhile my best friend is pretty WTM. Uses STOW, FLL, WWE, the whole enchilada. Her workload was lighter than mine with SL, so that got me to pay attention to what classical actually entails vs. what my ideas about it are. I figured out that my mastery mindset fits nicely with classical, though I am more relaxed in the 1st and 2nd grade than WTM.

Now even through I have mastered some of those areas that were weak for me earlier I still feel more comfortable with the classical model.

Heather