Menu

Tell me about Explode the Code

serinat

I'm working through the MFW kindergarten with my oldest, who is five. We're also working through OPGTR, and she's doing really well.

I'm interested in supplementing her phonics with ETC, which I understand is in workbook format, right? Can you tell me why I should/shouldn't use ETC, why you like it, etc.? Do you have to use the 1/2 books, or are they just extra for kids who need extra help? Do you recommend buying the teacher's manual?

Thanks!

I love ETC books! They are in workbook form, but it's not just busy work. I still use it with my 3rd, 2nd,and K'er. I also use the 1/2 books as well. I'm sure they are not necessary, but it encompasses reading, writing, and phonics. We only do 1-2 pages/ day, but I've seen tremendous results. I've never bought the TM for any of them. However, I have noticed that there are some pics in the books that we have no idea what they are! I don't know if it's a demographic thing or what,but before ETC I had never heard of a grinder! I'm sure that may sound stupid, but my dc hadn't either. The pic shows some kind of a sandwich,but we call that a sub. So it kinda was funny for us! We just took it as learning a new vocab. word! Anyway, I think it is a great curriculum for phonics supplement. I too supplement it with OPGTR. HTH!

My ds6 just started Book 8 today. We started in preschool with Get Ready, Get Set and Go for the Code as well as Book 1. In Kinder we did Books 2-5 and this year in first we will finish with 6, 7 and 8. We did do most of the half books as they are a little more challenging in most cases than the whole books and I felt he needed more review to solidify the skills. For us it's been great because ds is a very visual learner and does well with the workbook format. It's black and white which works for us too b/c too much color on a page can be distracting for my ADHDer. Each book builds a little on the ones before so once they are familiar with the format they can do most of the work independently which is another huge plus since I also have a 3yo and a 19mo too.

I know this series doesn't work for everyone but they have been a huge success here.

Jennefer

I didn't find them until my oldest ds was a couple months away from turning 6, but we started with book 1 and are now about to start book 5 in a couple weeks. They are a workbook format, but my ds thinks they are fun and I totally credit them for improving his reading skills!

We haven't done the 1/2 books, but I'm sure they would be helpful for extra reinforcement. I also have not bought the TM and we have done just fine without it.

My dd just finished up the third of the Get ready, get set and go for the code books this past week, and will be starting ETC 1 once they arrive here! I'm excited to start back at book 1 again and see if the series works as well for her as it does for ds.

My son taught himself how to read phonetically at a very early age so I hadn't bothered with any phonics or reading instruction and then thought that might be a mistake. I added ETC a few months ago and love it. It really is an excellent supplement or pre-spelling program.

Another fan!!:D

Love, love, LOVE ETC!!

They are lots of fun and easy to use, even my auditory kid loves them.

I'm not planning on using the 1/2 books as both kids (6 and 3) are doing great. 6yo is using book 1 and 3yo is tearing along and is on book B.

I don't have the TM and am doing fine with out it.

I've used them with all 3 of my kids to teach reading. My kids were/are empowered because they can read the words in the ETC workbooks by-themselves, right away. It's more practice and generally easy practice.

We are also using OPTGR, Bob Books, and MFW K with the 2 newest readers. ETC workbooks make them feel like super readers, it's fun and it's still school work.

I agree that it reinforces phonetic reading--and spelling gets a boost from their ETC work too.

I have used ETC with all three of my school aged kids. I think they do a great job teaching phonics. In addition to the ETC, I used Beyond the Code books along with ETC 4, 5, and 6. My dd 7 is not as fluent a reader as my other two were, so I plan on using the BTC books starting with ETC 5 to give her a little more time to strengthen her reading skills.

We also use Phonics Pathways and a variety of readers, including Bob books. I haven't used any of the half books, but would if my kids just needed more practice at a skill to gain mastery before going forward.

HTH! :)

We started with the primers when my daughter was 4 (she's 7 now) and wanting to learn to read, doing them at her choice of pace (everything from a few parts of one page to most of the book at a sitting). We added in Bob books partially through ETC 1 and then combined those with Dolch sight word flashcards and Dick and Jane books. The addition of the sight word work helped her a lot in fluency and confidence.

As she took off early with reading and does very well, I stopped after ETC 4 and was going to switch to Spelling Power, figuring it would take less time. She saw the ETC books and begged to go back to them because "they're my favorite!" (how do you argue with that?:)). We just finished up book 8 and have gone back to Spelling Power. I used one of the half books when she needed extra practice, but I can't remember which one (likely 1 1/2 or 2 1/2). I never used a TM, though I did pick up a pamphlet that was designed for something like levels 1-4 giving the sentences and words to use in the post-test.

I agree that there were some pictures that just didn't make a lot of sense in the early books, but either there were fewer of them later on or we just got better at figuring them out. I didn't find the sections on open and closed syllables in ETC 4 very useful, but that could be because she is a very natural speller and was reading well by that point. I only used the first Beyond the Code and quickly figured out that it is not correlated to levels of ETC (BTC 1 is a good bit more advanced than the skills taught in ETC 1). I felt like the BTC ones I saw weren't meaty enough for the money, at least for our use, but again reading came easily for her.

My daughter really found writing to be an incentive and help in learning to read (Phonics Pathways and 100 EZ Lessons were both pure torture for us) and adores workbooks, I think because she can be more independent with them. Those things made ETC a great choice for us. We started out doing the pages together, but she gradually became more and more independent with it.

I used them with both of my older girls who I taught without a program, and I am using them to supplement my 5 yo ds's full phonics program. They work great either way. The picture thing never bothered us, but I bought the answer keys.

My dc were tickled by the funny sentences. My dd with a great sense of humour actually loved them so much she did two books when I was away a conference, thinking she was getting away with something. :D

We used BTC, also, and liked them. We found the Before the Code, etc. series tedius, though.

I started with Plaid Phonics K around age 4 and started before ETC at about 4.5. Kiddo did really well with this but was not ready for ETC 1 at almost 5, so I flipped back to Plaid Phonics A, which he is almost done with. It is between the maturity of pencil use and ear for sound needed for Before ETC and ETC 1.

We have enjoyed both programs. ETC is quick and smooth but not flashy...it lets the eye do some work. Plaid Phonics is colorful and sweet, and the pictures are slightly old fashioned (GOOD IMO!),

HTH

I think they are great books. DD finished the pre-ETC books last year and is working in book 1 now with book 2 on the shelf when she finishes. I love it combined with OPG - it just seems to reinforce what we are learning.

Between OPG, ETC and some hands-on games my dd is getting a very thorough program.

We used the get ready ones for kindergarten and moved right into book 1 and 1 and a half because my son needed a bit more time with it.

This year, our first grade year, we have completed 2, 3, and are starting book 4 on Monday.

Our plan is to get through 5 and 6 in the second grade, and books 7 and 8 in the third...then we are moving right into Megawords which I'm using with my older son and we absolutely love!!!

HTH, Dee

We've used ETC through 4 kids - oldest dd started them 10 years ago (!), and her little sister (7) is now working through them.

one more to go!

Love the silly sentences, too.

Sometimes, I've had the kids cut out the pictures and make a spelling-rules book with them. That has been motivating and reinforcing.

HTH!