Menu

Mystery of History

Rebecca

Can anyone who has used this share their thoughts?

Thanks!

Rebecca

What do you want to know? We love it. It works well with our family, we love doing the wall timeline charts as well as (for the older two) their own timelines. We love her friendly conversational style. We appreciate the activities and the various pretests and quizzes. It is all built to learn the information well. We have enjoyed it more than anything else we have ever used.

:)

Hi Kate, OT - I had saved a link to your science curriculum and lost it after our pc crashed. What series are you using? It looked good. Sorry to post like this but I didn't want to holler for you.

No problem! We are using Apologia's Elementary program. http://www.apologia.com We just love it. My oldest dd13 is using their General Science.

HTH!

I just want general feedback- the good or not so good.

Thank you for your reply.

Have you used this through more than one history cycle?

Thanks,

Rebecca

We are in our second history cycle, but this is the first time we have used MOH. I cannot say enough good things about it, honestly. :) Kendra in CA (also on the boards here) is a good source to chat MOH with. She has used it for many years.

It has made history come alive again - and that is a very good thing. :)

personally, *I* love it. I'm learning more than I ever did about Bible History and how it interconnects with secular history, KWIM? As for my dc...they are NOT history fans so ANY history program would be a bust with them. What I like: 1. short lessons 2. conversation-style writing 3. quizzes/pre-test 5. memory cards 6. instructions for completing timeline 7. Activities for each lesson. 8. Layout 9. Ease of use

What I don't like: hmmm...nothing really! Love it!

We're switching to MFW next year ONLY b/c I can combine all my dc in more than just History and it's all laid out for me. MOH2 does get a bit more challenging, so I hear and it's church history-heavy (so I hear!). HTH

Hi Rebecca:

When I was looking for an ancient history curriculum, I knew exactly what I wanted. I wanted a solid Christian program that truly honored Christ and gave an accurate account of history. When I discovered MOH, something clicked and I knew that I had found the right program for our family. MOH is a solid Christian program and is by far my over-all favorite curriculum. We enjoyed the timeline activity in Vol. 1 and never found it overwhelming. The Mystery of History yahoo group has timeline figures you can download for free. I copied them onto nice cardstock and it has made an impressive timeline for our wall.

Overall, I have found it easy to use and we will begin Vol. 2 this fall.

HTH!

Thank you very much for the feedback. It does appear to be what we are looking for!

I found a schedule on the yahoo group that incorporated some of the things I want to: Victor, Student Bible atlas, etc.

I also like that it gives the "entire world" overview.

For those of you who use this series- what do you do after volume two? I did see that volume three is due to be released... but what then?

Thank YOU!

Rebecca

I guess I would ask what ages are your dc? I hesitate to reply because I don't think our experience is typical, but I wanted to give you a different point of view - and it might even help you know that you WILL like it. I tried it when my ds was first grade (vol. 1, for ancients of course). I chose it because a Biblical perspective was important to me. It did not take me long to realize that much of it was over a first grader. We kept the time line about half the year; I made review cards for about 2 lessons (LOL); and we rarely did anything in writing. While I think you could fold youngers into it, I don't recommend it if your oldest ones are young. While I understand the appeal of the conversational tone, I quickly longed for something more "literary" to read aloud to my ds. I ended up using many of Ambleside Online's suggestions for history and literature and continued our study of the Israelites with Greenleaf's Guide to the Old TEstament. We also both enjoyed listening to Diana Waring's "What in the World's Going On Here" CDs. (My ds begged to listen to them everytime we went somewhere - or at night as he went to sleep - though with her enthusiasm I don't know how he fell asleep, LOL). We learned a great deal about integrating Bible and secular history from the CDs.

I'm not trying to knock MOH, just wanted to give you another point of view. It's a solid program - just wasn't what we wanted.

My children are young...

I appreciate your point of view! Thanks! I want the cons too!

I am not planning on using it as written with the tests, ect.- more of a text combined with literary sources. Using it as a read aloud, mainly- and maybe incorporating narration. My son will be third grade next year.

Also, I prefer to use a timeline "book" with figures posted in it so I will continue with that too! (instead of their plan)...

I am using the Greenleaf OT with my first grader- and wanted to continue that with future first graders- starting a world history is second grade...

Thanks again,

Rebecca

For history, we've used CHOW, Picturesque Tales of Progress, Biblioplan, Amblesideonline and this year, I was worn out. I borrowed a copy of MOH 1 from a friend and it's been wonderful. It's not too much information, it's not taxing, I don't have to run amok finding other books (although there's a list in the back of additional books you may use if you like; they're just not listed in the lesson itself), my 10 yo likes the activities and we're finally happy with history! yay!

As for what to use after volume 2, on the publisher's website it says somewhere that their suggestion is to move on with their American History texts, which I believe pick up pretty close to where Vol 2 leaves off. The publisher's website is http://www.brightideaspress.com

For those of you who use this series- what do you do after volume two? I did see that volume three is due to be released... but what then?

Since the third book will cover 1455 to 1707, we will likely use Christine Miller's books from http://www.nothingnewpress.com for the later years of modern history and may use something else yet to be discovered. :) We used these two truly wonderful thorough books: The Story of the 13 Colonies, and The Story of the Great Republic. They brought us up to 1900 and then we used a myriad of other resources and historical fiction, living books, and biographies (our loose spine was SWB's Vol. 4 of Story of the World). It was a wonderful end to our first four-year cycle. There are so many resources available for 1707 onward that I would not even put it on my radar screen of concern.

I think third grade is a perfect age to start MOH. My youngest (in the history cycle with us) is in 3rd and he is getting a great deal out of it. :)

I haven't used MOH but I've read the preface and some of the chapters to get an overall idea of the program.

Since you're asking for a con, I'll throw mine in the ring. :o I didn't like the writing style - and it's just a personal preference so take it FWIW. I'm no expert in literary quality and hope it doesn't sound nose-in-the-airish to say, but it just didn't quite fit what we were looking for. Also, since the entire series isn't completed yet and we really wanted to stick with the same history curric all 4 years, I didn't want to get into it and then have to choose something else after 2 or 3 years.

And in our looking for a history curriculum, none fit all we were looking for, even the one we decided upon. It all depends on what is most important to you.

BTW, hi Kate! :)

Thank you Dawn,

I agree that it is not "literary" in quality. That is not "stick your nose in the air"!

I am choosing it more for the godly focus and "overview" that it offers...filling in with literature. (the what is most important to you part! :) )

I understand where you are coming from...

Thank you for sharing,

What did you choose, btw?

Rebecca

Thank you Dawn,

I agree that it is not "literary" in quality. That is not "stick your nose in the air"!

I am choosing it more for the godly focus and "overview" that it offers...filling in with literature. (the what is most important to you part! :) )

I understand where you are coming from...

Thank you for sharing,

What did you choose, btw?

Rebecca

That's the one thing I wish SOTW had more of (the godly focus). We went with SOTW as a default plan actually (long story LOL) but it continually amazes me how God has blessed it and how *perfect* of a fit it is for us, as much as I thought it wouldn't be! LOL

We read from Miller's Story of the Ancient World alongside (though not as part of our history time but typically during devotions and it's been so interesting the discussions that have come about from it as the girls recall something they learned in SOTW or the Bible etc.). I plan to go through all Miller's books (thank you dear Kate :D).

So I think we're set with SOTW for the next 3 years and we'll likely do American History in year 4 instead of SOTW4. Then we MIGHT take the TOG plunge (TOG both fascinates and scares me to death...LOL).

Anywhoo...more than you asked! :o

I JUST received my copy of MOH Vol. 1. I plan to begin this next year with a fourth grader and a first grader. My first grader will be using My Father's World First Grade as his main curriculum but I know he will want to sit in on MOH with us. The two will complement one another very well. I am already familiar with MFW First because I've taught it before, so I know it will all blend together.

I know you want opinions and feedback from current and previous users, but I just wanted to share that I am thrilled to be gearing up for this. It really is exactly what I was looking for. I love MFW and the way that they integrate the Bible with secular history. But, I don't like unit studies (at all) and I don't need the total MFW package. MOH looks like it is going to offer me what I love about MFW without all the stuff that I don't need and want.

I like the simplicity of MOH. I plan to combine it with Sonlight using some of the schedules on the MOH yahoo group. I like that it includes assignments for younger, middle, and older students. And, they look like assignments that my children will actually do. I love that it so thoroughly covers the prophets of ancient Israel. I like that the readings are very short, so we will still have time and energy to add history and literature readings from other books to it. I plan to do it just as recommended with the activities, the map work, the memory cards, and a timeline (we will use SL's Book of Time). I like that it includes quizzes and reviews.

The longer I homeschool, the more I realize that I am all about ease of use and simplicity. I love a literature approach to history and have alot of resources in my home. But, I have often longed for a one-book approach that I can use as my framework and then add extra living books to add interest and detail.

Also, the MOH web site says that Vol. III will be ready sometime this spring.

I agree that MOH is NOT for the very young (1st graders and under) and even my 2nd grader (8yo) is just muddling through w/ us. I see you have a 1st grader...what other ages are you considering this for? I would suggest MFW as an alternative to MOH for it's Biblical approach and ease of combining dc. Their 5 yr. cycle starts with a study of world geography meant for 3rd -6th graders and then goes into the 4 yr. cycle meant for 4th - 8th graders and adjustable for 2nd/3rd graders w/ older sibs in the program. I am using it next year ( so I don't have a btdt story!). I'm just going off of second hand info provided me.

Donna T. I am with you on the simplicity of use!:) I hope your year goes well!

Sue G. :

thanks for your feedback:

My oldest is turning 8 in April, then I have a son who will be seven in July and we flow down the line! :)

I have a "small" history with MFW which is why I know it won't work for us... but it is a great program. I will not bother you with the details... as I know how hard it can be to choose curriculum! Suffice to say that I actually use MFW phonics with my children (am currently using K phonics with three of them actually at different levels) but have learned the VERY HARD WAY that I am not a unit study person. It is hard enough to let go of the unit study with the K even though we are doing plenty of other K stuff in different ways. I think I tend to have the "must do what the book says" syndrome. I hope your year goes well and it is what it should be: ease of use with multiple children! Thanks for the info!

Thanks ladies!

Rebecca

Can anyone who has used this share their thoughts?

Thanks!

Rebecca

Love MOH here.

I used it when my oldest was in 1st grade with SL Core 1. I know it doesn't work for some people, but for my dd MOH is still her favorite! She did volume 2 when she was in 2nd grade, which I think was a bit much given the jump in volume, detail and content, but she still loved it and refused to drop it every time I gave her the option. :cool:

By the way volume 4 should be out in 2011 and 5 in 2014ish. Volume 3 is due out by Summer.

Heather

Heather, thank you for the schedule on the yahoo group. Do you remember which edition (year wise) of CHOW that you coordinated MOH with? I have a 2000 edition. It has less chapters than the current CHOW, so I was just wondering which one you used for your shedule.

Blessings,

Donna

Heather, thank you for the schedule on the yahoo group. Do you remember which edition (year wise) of CHOW that you coordinated MOH with? I have a 2000 edition. It has less chapters than the current CHOW, so I was just wondering which one you used for your shedule.

Blessings,

Donna

Donna,

Your welcome!

It is the edition with more chapters, copyright 1997. I don't think it would violate copyright laws to scan the TOC and sent it to you, that is something often made public and even then is only 3 pages of the whole book. That way you could coordinate the two by chapter titles. E-mail me and I will get it to you.

Heather

I plan to go through all Miller's books (thank you dear Kate :D).

I didn't know you were here! LOL How funny. Hi! Will you be there on Sunday? I am so glad you like Miller's books. We do too. I am thinking Hannah is going to be using them for the bulk of her history next year. I have been in heavy thought about the next five years. Let's talk soon.

We have been using MOH 2 after finding SOTW lacking in biblical and church history. I have younger dc, so I still supplement with the activities from SOTW 2 (see Paula's archives for a SOTW and MOH chapter and lesson chart) as well as mapwork. We LOVE the timelines and the notecards. The kids ask for history daily and even with the oldest being 8 he is really grasping God's hand in History - I LOVE that. We do the quizzes orally. The activities are not as well suited to younger children as the SOTW activities. If MOH 3 comes out, we will likely be using it next year.

I didn't know you were here! LOL How funny. Hi! Will you be there on Sunday? I am so glad you like Miller's books. We do too. I am thinking Hannah is going to be using them for the bulk of her history next year. I have been in heavy thought about the next five years. Let's talk soon.

Oy - I'm a little late in replying, ya think? :o;)

It was good to see you today!

"Yes...um...remind me of your name again?" :p:p