Menu

I wasn't paying attention in class...(Paragraph Writing)

Hello,

I wasn't paying attention, or at least I wasn't writing anything down, when some folks were talking about what they use to learn paragraph writing. I am paying attention now......:bigear:

Was it something like Daily Paragraph Editing? No, that's not it. This is for fifth grade. I'm pretty sure OhElizabeth was one of the people using it.

We also have Classical Writing - Homer, but that is just SO not summertime curriculum, you know?

Julie

Was it Paragraph Writing Made Easy?

I'm not sure, but I'll check it out. It also may have been Daily Paragraph Editing. Now that I look at it more carefully (or at least the sample pages online), it looks like it does involve actually writing paragraphs. It takes baby steps, like "you may use any of these topic sentences or write your own."

My son is a pretty good writer, but he just will not follow the rules. Rules bore him. The other day I had him write a paragraph and the ONLY requirement was that the topic sentence told the reader what the paragraph was going to be about. Well, he said that it was a mystery and he didn't want to give it away in the first sentence. Sigh.

Thanks so much Melissa!

Julie

I had to search the archives!

Lovedtodeath

01-24-2009, 02:57 PM

In the WP LA 5 (http://www.winterpromise.com/5th_grade_la.html)

Paragraph%20Writing%20Made%20Easy.gifParagraph Writing Made Easy | LA5-04 | $12

Students will learn writing skills like planning, word choice, organization, paragraphs, and short essays.

What do you think??

Kimber

01-24-2009, 03:10 PM

I actually purchased this at Currclick for my daughter because we of the TLP stuff at coop. Anyway, I really like it. I'm not using it as written. What I like is that it teaches outlining in its entirety. I'm a big picture person, meaning I don't do well with incremental steps. I guess this is my major beef with CW--too many steps.

This little book helped me to see that it's okay to jump into outlining and teach it all at once. I understand the benefit of summarizing paragraphs by their main ideas. But, I know that for me, I can't see the main ideas unless I see what details are covered. Having the whole picture helps.

This look book teaches key words, traditional outlining, and it even has suggested answers in the back. Most of the paragraphs that the students are outlining are report writing type paragraphs. Overall, it's very much like IEW in how it teaches structure. But it only addresses 1 paragrap at a time, different types, and no dress-ups and sentence openers. I'm using it now. I think it's perfect for 5th grade.

How convoluted was this response? :D

Kimberly