Menu

Rigorous yet easy homeschooling - does that make sense?

MIch elle

After 10 years I think I've finally got it! A rigorous home education that works for us. WORKBOOKS!

Yup - I'm going to almost all workbooks for 7th grade.

CLE reading

CLE math

CLE LA

LFBC physical science

Vocabulary for the High School Student

IEW U.S. History Based Writing Lessons v1

SOTW 3 w/ tests, AG; A History of Us

Add some historical fiction and other literature with AO/BF and we are DONE!

I don't CARE a WIT about what others may say! :scared: I'm SOO done with doing this :banghead: when it comes to homeschooling!!

Anybody else with me?? :tongue_smilie:

Oh - I still haven't found that perfect Spanish program - any ideas? :bigear:

Here's our line up for next year:

CLE LA

CLE Reading

CLE Science (Life Science light units from 7th, 8th & 9th)

All American History + lots of literature

Life of Fred Beginning Algebra

Write with the Best

Spelling Wisdom

Latin for Children B & C

Learning on Purpose (Critical Thinking Co.)

My DD is a "Perfect Paula" according to Cathy Duffy's learning styles. She excels at traditional school with workbooks and has always been an excellent student. She will be able to work independently and I'm very excited about the CLE Light Units - they include extensive critical thinking and character development exercises which I've never seen in other workbook curricula. I'm hoping for a great year and hope yours is too!

about the CLE Light Units - they include extensive critical thinking and character development exercises which I've never seen in other workbook curricula. I'm hoping for a great year and hope yours is too!

Yes, we've been using CLE reading and math; now we're adding in CLE LA. Ăƒâ€¡LE is rigorous yet easy - so you know EXACTLY what I mean - open & go - challenging yet doable for teacher & student.

I wish you a GREAT year too! :D

We used Landmark Freedom Baptist for World History this year and it's been awesome! Combined with some great literature my DD is retaining and enjoying what she's learning. I would definitely use Landmark again.

CBD also has samples for some of their books:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntk=keywords&Ntt=landmark+Christian+academy&action=Search&N=0&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1&Go.x=17&Go.y=14&Go=Go

Edited by amtmcm

I've been thinking about doing this. CLE's catalog is on its way.

Our life has turned upside down this past school year with me needing to work more, etc. and I want the reassurance that they've completed a full course. I think they would like having ten workbooks or whatever in each subject and see the progress as we go through the year. We can always do more, but I want to know I'm not short-changing them.

I'm glad CLE has free placement tests online now.

Until this year I could never get my son to do workbooks. He has LDs and reading the instructions was a huge issue. This year, finally, he seems to be able to manage them much better.....so I am taking advantage of it!

I'm not familiar with the specific workbooks you've selected, but well-selected workbooks have been very helpful to us.

In general, I think it can be an excellent strategy. If the workbook covers what it needs to cover, and doesn't make the student insane with misery or boredom, it can be helpful.

I use workbooks in Science to cover all the topics we must cover efficiently. That sets us free to explore what we find most interesting, without any guilt about what we might be leaving undone.

Since you're using a lot of workbooks from one source, hopefully there isn't too much overlap in the workbooks. We got a canned curriculum for 4th grade last year that was very workbook intensive. I soon realized there was tremendous overlap and repetition. The kids and I tried to follow it for several months, and were driven insane with the tedium of busy-work that seemed designed to fill our every working moment for 5-6 hours, 5 days a week.

I ruthlessly discarded several workbooks, then pared the remainder down until there was no overlap. We incorporated more Literature, more creative writing and a lot more hands on in Science. We ditched Saxon Math, 'cause we loathed it. (I could write a book on how and why we loathed it. I'll spare you the tirade!) After switching to MUS, we rediscovered the joy inherent in Mathematics. Now we're happy, and still have a very rigorous program.

With this experience behind me, I feel qualified to say that workbooks can be liberating or enslaving, it just depends on which ones you use and how rigidly determined you are to complete every page of each book.

Go for it! Make workbooks work for you. You've got the experience to know what's going to work for you and your kids.

Will you tell us more about the workbooks you're using and how they're helpful? I'm always interested in hearing what works for other people, and how/why.

Blessings,

Elizabeth

Will you tell us more about the workbooks you're using and how they're helpful? I'm always interested in hearing what works for other people, and how/why.

Blessings,

Elizabeth

My older ds started with CLE reading 7 during the last semester of that grade after I went on a thorough search for a literature program that incorporated vocabulary and taught literary elements. I found it on my own shelf! We had been using CLE readers for years, off & on, since grade 1 and even tried the gr. 2 lightunits but thought they were too much busy work. The CLE reading 7 (reader & lightunits) was MORE than I had been looking for in a reading program. I couldn't believe how good CLE reading was and NO ONE was talking about it! He used it for grades 7 & 8 before he went off to private high school. CLE reading has prepared him well.

My older ds used R&S math 3-6,8 and I was not satified with the upper levels of R&S math. I went on the hunt for a better math program for my younger ds. I bought CLE math 5,6,7 to MAKE sure that CLE math lead us to where we needed to be in math. CLE math is SO good! Younger ds switched to CLE math 5 last year and is now finishing up with CLE math 6.

Younger ds did CLE reading 4 & 5 but the lightunits were much too hard for him; so this year we put CLE reading on hold. He'll do CLE reading 6 in grade 7.

SO you see we've been happily using CLE reading & math. I even thought I would use CLE LA last year but I hesitated because I had the R&S English books and I LIKE having my own TM and of course R&S E. is excellent. R&S English has been too difficult for my ds this year in gr. 6 (his older brother did it one yr behind gr.). I've come to realize that the mastery approach of R&S English isn't working. We are just getting to the adverb chapter after 8 months of school!

Now for science. I wasn't happy with PH science that we used for older ds. We used it along with Calvert School 7 (bought VERY cheap) which was wasn't as easy as I would have liked - with the TM, ans. keys, books - juggling it all. I looked at MANY science programs - Apologia, BJU, Rainbow, etc. all the popular ones. I found LBFC physical science at the homeschool conference. It's simple - ds knows EXACTLY what to read and do - M-W read & answer questions, Th - memorize Scripture, we'll skip that and study for the quiz, Friday take quiz. It's short and requires that he DO something - write answers and memorize key terms. I wanted a science that had MATH in it! It's not wordy like so many science programs. A quiz every week and a review test every 9 weeks - simple experiments in between.

IEW HBWL - very easy - open & go. Older ds used it and learned basic writing skills.

Vocabulary for the H.S. Student - I've learned that reading alone doesn't cut it - active study of vocabulary is necessary. Since CLE reading & LA has so much, we'll only be doing one short exercize/day.

Elizabeth, I've spilled the beans :lol: - now what about you?

We used Landmark Freedom Baptist for World History this year and it's been awesome! Combined with some great literature my DD is retaining and enjoying what she's learning. I would definitely use Landmark again.

CBD also has samples for some of their books:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntk=keywords&Ntt=landmark+Christian+academy&action=Search&N=0&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1&Go.x=17&Go.y=14&Go=Go

That's good to know; so next year I could go to the CBD warehouse sale and look at them. Why they have 2 names is beyond me - LFBC & LCA!

Michelle,

Congratulations on figuring out what works!!!

We did a lot of workbooks last year and had a great year. This year I tried to do things differently and it was quite a struggle with four kids spread out in age. Then I was sick for a month and was sooo thankful for the workbooks I had added to our curriculum mid-year to ease things up. Workbooks saved the day!

I'm keeping this year's experience in mind as I plan for next year...

(I must be having a good day if I'm even thinking about next year!)

Kelli

We have used a fair number of work books too, although I'm not familiar with the ones you mentioned. My daughter attended public school for a while, and then a virtual charter school before we decided to homeschool. So I guess she was used to the work book thing. They seem to help her cement her knowledge about things. I do try to go through and assign only the pages that seem to be worthwhile, rather than just having her do the whole thing. Work books have been a good thing for us, because although I'm home all day, my office is here too and I'm often focusing on work things while my daughter is working on school. The work books are an easy way for her to direct herself for at least part of the time. We do spend time going over things together, but she's very much a take it and go work on it herself kind of girl, so some well-chosen work books have been great for us.

Michelle,

Please forgive me for taking a day to get back to you. Yesterday was when our home school group meets. I had a full day.

Elizabeth, I've spilled the beans :lol: - now what about you?

I have a 4th Grade son and a 7th Grade daughter. We took the daughter out of school beginning in the 6th grade, and the son nearly 2/3 through 3rd grade. How I wish I'd taken them both out sooner!

Our son had a congenital cholesteatoma which was diagnosed and treated just about 6 months ago. The condition was very hard to diagnose, and his symptoms mimicked a lot of other diseases and disorders. He had a lifetime of hearing, speech and balance problems, and had been subjected to quite a bit if unkindness due to his obvious differences. The treatment was stressful, but has resulted in near normal hearing and average balance. The result of all this upheaval has been considerable confusion as to how to teach him. He's a vastly different learner now than he was at the beginning of the school year.

Right now he does an hour of reading Literature each morning, either from Mosdos Pearl, his Virginia History Textbook or Mosdos Jade. Because he's still having some speech problems, we take turns reading aloud in order to model good speech and encourage him to practice. We spend the last 15 minutes going over various Literary terms and concepts, all verbally.

In the second hour he practices his handwriting and typing. We use Handwriting Without Tears and "Sponge Bob Typing".

In the third hour he does his Arithmetic. We use Math You See. We switched to MUS from Saxon in order to correct some problems we were encountering with the extreme spiral nature of Saxon's curriculum. We placed him back to Delta, which has turned out to be ridiculously easy for him. He blazes through two units a week, cheerfully scoring 95-100% on everything. Since we need him to feel successful, we haven't tried to go any faster.

We break a full hour for lunch.

In the 4th hour he works in Science and Geography Workbooks. We use Steck-Vaughn Science Grade 4, and Down to Earth Geography (Grade 4) by Teacher Created Resources. About 1/3 of the pages in Science workbook center on hands on activities. He generally blows through the worksheets in short order. There are quite a few short answer questions in both books. He writes all those answers in full sentences on handwriting paper.

In the 5th hour he writes paragraphs, short essays and short research papers. These assignments come from his work earlier in the day.

His sister is both easier and harder to educate! She reads biographies for the first hour of the morning, and summarizes what she's read in emails to me. We had begun her History this year with traditional textbooks. She got good grades, but she was miserable. Further, it seemed she didn't really understand the connections between the facts she'd memorized. We now do Biographies, time-lines and the occasional research paper. It works better. She's just finished reading the Biography of Charles Darwin, and she's reading about Eleanor Roosevelt next. We've read a few other short biographies from around the turn of the century and some high interest material about the early women's movement, immigration, child labor the gold rush. She's got an interesting account of children on the road and in camps during the dust bowl which we plan to read together with her brother. We will end the year with a Historical fiction centered on American defense industry worker's children during WWII.

In the second hour she types and writes. She was not taught Handwriting in public school, and fixing her handwriting has been an uphill battle. She wasn't given sufficient training in Composition or Spelling, nor was she exposed to much Literature. She copies poems into her Handwriting Book and types both to correspond with friends and family and her compositions and research papers. She is expected to use Word spelling and Grammar check, plus forward a copy of everything but her private correspondence to me for a human Spelling and Grammar check.

In the 3rd hour she does MUS Algebra 1. She averages a unit a week, with some units taking more and some less. We switched from Saxon in March, having reached the end of our rope with the extreme spiral nature of that curriculum. She's much happier and more confident about her Math ability now. I teach a weekly Co-op Algebra class with The Algebra Survival Guide & Workbook by Josh Rappaport. She's in this class, and this has provided her with some continuity through the tumult of our search for the right curriculum fit. I cannot say enough nice things about The Algebra Survival Guide or Josh Rappaport.

1 hour for lunch!

In the 4th hour she reads from her Science Text, writes Science research papers or does experiments.

In the 5th hour she polishes various writing projects or works on Language Arts activities designed to address specific needs. Right now she's plowing through a workbook entitled The Language Mechanic published by the Critical Thinking Company. She's going pretty fast, about 2 units per week. In spite of the ease, it seems to be tying a few things together for her, and quite a few Grammar "puzzle pieces" are dropping into place. This workbook has been really popular around here. Since I bought it, it's been loaned out many times. It's a black line reproducible, and I've resorted to disassembling the binding and placing it in a 3 ring binder for greater ease of copying!

Well, that's all the news that's fit for print. In a few short weeks we'll be plowing through "Scoring High" workbooks in preparation for the ITBS on Jun 15th. Next year we're planning Cambridge Latin for our daughter and various History Through Literature programs from Beautiful Feet for both kids. We will be using Steck-Vaughn workbooks as the backbone of both kid's Science programs, and have purchased a workbook entitled Our Living Constitution for government. We will definitely continue with MUS. Both kids will be working on typing and handwriting throughout the summer, because they both need work and I'm determined to cease our daughter's handwriting and typing instruction starting in the Fall. She's well on her way to being proficient in both areas.

Blessings,

Elizabeth

What an ordeal! My father was deaf and my mother hard of hearing. They are both gone now. I can imagine the stuggles you've had!

Thanks for sharing your story and the resources you use. I'll be looking at a few you mentioned.

Blessings,

Michelle

Michelle,

Thanks to your many positive posts my younger dd will be doing mostly Christian Light next year. We have already switched over to Math, LA and Reading and will continue these subjects over the summer. I am so pleased and already see her becoming more independent in her schoolwork. She loves it!

My older dd will be high school age in the fall and I am also making the switch to textbooks/workbooks for her. I can't wait until our local convention so I can really look at various curricula for her . . . especially LA. After years of piecing LA together I am looking for an all-in-one program. I am leaning strongly towards CLE. Wish I had given them a second look years ago! But it certainly is not too late!

Wish I had given them a second look years ago! But it certainly is not too late!

We're finishing up in our second year of CLE math and NOW I decided to use CLE LA. I've spent the last 2 days reading CLE LA 7 and I WISH I had used the LA earlier! :tongue_smilie:

Ummmmmm....SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

me too.

This BIG CM mom is going workbook...in a CM way of course :D

Here's my plan fwiw

Family:

Bible: Read Through New Testament (Holy Spirit LedĂ¢â‚¬Â¦May have Carl prepare lessons for Grace, Caleb and Sam. This will include Memory Work, Hymns and Catechism (?? Training Hearts??)

Carl: Grade 10

World Literature A Beka

Finish TT2 then Foersters Alg.2 w/ Trig (2 year book)

Astronomy: A Self Teaching Guide 1 semester (Dante exam)(semester 1)

Environmental Science: 1 semester (CLEP or AP??)(Semester 2)

Traditional Logic 2 (Memoria Press Online)(Semester 1)

Intro to Philosophy (Smarr) spread out over 1 year.

A Beka Geography (2nd Sem)

Swim Team

Grace: Grade 6

CLE Reading 6

CLE Math 5-6

CLE Language Arts 6

SOTW 3-4 (Napoleon to Now) Activity book. I will type up narration pages.

Apologia Zoology 3 Land Animals w/ workbook

IEW Theme Based Writing Lessons (US HX)

Latina Christiana 1 &2

Fallacy Detective/ Thinking Toolbox

Logic Anyone? Orbit w/ Logic

Swim Team

Caleb Grade 2

CLE Reading 2

CLE Language 2

CLE Math 2

ChildĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s History of the World (Chap 3 to Chap 47)

Apologia Astronomy

Swim Team

Sam Grade 1

CLE Language 1

CLE Learn to Read : Phonics, readers, read aloud

CLE Math 1

Swim Team (MaybeĂ¢â‚¬Â¦if he can learn to LISTENĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.sigh)

After 10 years I think I've finally got it! A rigorous home education that works for us. WORKBOOKS!

Yup - I'm going to almost all workbooks for 7th grade.

CLE reading

CLE math

CLE LA

LFBC physical science

Vocabulary for the High School Student

IEW U.S. History Based Writing Lessons v1

SOTW 3 w/ tests, AG; A History of Us

Add some historical fiction and other literature with AO/BF and we are DONE!

I don't CARE a WIT about what others may say! :scared: I'm SOO done with doing this :banghead: when it comes to homeschooling!!

Anybody else with me?? :tongue_smilie:

Oh - I still haven't found that perfect Spanish program - any ideas? :bigear:

If you click on my profile name, LNC, I have an album with our completed CLE workbooks for the year! I have a 2nd grader who completed 3rd grade CLE math and 2nd grade CLE LA. My 4th grader completed 4th grade CLE math and CLE LA. I've left them up on my desk bc I'm thrilled at how much work they accomplished and how easy it was with CLE!!

Btw, We also use CLE Reading -workbooks from 4th grade up. We aren't done with those yet...

Carl: Grade 10

World Literature A Beka

I picked up the Abeka World Literature book at the homeschool convention last month at the CLP table. I want to read it MYSELF! I like it - esp. all the art work. I might also use it as a read aloud to both my boys this summer.

Boy, your gr. 6 list looks similar to my gr. 7 list! ;)

Edited by MIch elle

Michelle....My older dd used A Beka Literature for 10th-12th grade. She loved these books so much SHE SLEPT with them!! She read and re-read and flipped through the American lit so many times I need a new one for ds!

Anyway, it is a beautiful book and it gets the job done. Thanks for bringing up this thread. :D

~~Faithe

She loved these books so much SHE SLEPT with them!! She read and re-read and flipped through the American lit so many times I need a new one for ds!

~~Faithe

Faithe,

I bring my favorite books with me each night to read in bed. Lately, many of them are on my Kindle but some aren't, like Abeka World Literature.

I remember when my dc were little they use to sleep with their favorite new toy. It's like that with our books! :D

Blessings,

Michelle

I picked up the Abeka World Literature book at the homeschool convention last month at the CLP table. I want to read it MYSELF! I like it - esp. all the art work. I might also use it as a read aloud to both my boys this summer.

Boy, your gr. 6 list looks similar to my gr. 7 list! ;)

OH...I forgot to say Carl will also be using CLE LA 9&10. We have let a lot of our LA drop due to time constraint. I think he will be able to do both 9th & 10th grade this year and then do foreign language for 11th & 12th.

~~Faithe

I actually had something quite similar in my reply and decided to delete that final thought before pressing "submit reply".

And yes, I have read the WTM. ;)

You know, I find CLE Math, LA and Reading help me with a Classical/ CM education. I don't use that type of program for the content subjects like Science or History or Latin or Literature...BUT, the WTM and AO both use workbook type materials (or program of choice , which CLE is for me) for Math, Grammar, Spelling, copy work etc.

SO, I think CLE helps me to mentor and guide my students into a thorough understanding of Math, Grammar, Spelling etc. step by step...precept on precept....

~~Faithe

Also, HUGE CLE fans here. So wish I had known about it all along. It is the best I've ever done and seems to be the right blend of solid academics...even rigorous, but in a gentle bite-size way that works for my boys. It gets the job done, doesn't 'dumb' it down and they remember and learn new stuff with such ease!!

:001_smile:

It's wonderful to hear such glowing CLE reports! I have purchased CLE Reading 7 for my son to use next year alongside his TOG Literature. Though I love TOG's Lit Activity Pages, they do not even compare to what is contained within the CLE reading light-units. I too, wish I would have found these sooner. I cannot give up whole books though, my son would revolt, so our plan it to do CLE on Tue and Thur only.

I am currently considering CLE Math 7 as well. We have used BJU for the past three years and I like it, a lot, but I don't know if I care for their old version of Math 7 and their new set is awfully expensive. I sat with my son and looked over the CLE math samples. He liked them. He thinks that due to the way CLE is set up that it will help him finally 'get' some of the concepts he struggles with. He is not quite ready or mature enough to head into BJUs Pre-algebra which I already own, with DVDs. So I am considering something new and different for his last year of 'basic' math...so far the vote is CLE. But I have not ordered yet. :001_smile: I am actually a bit afraid to order...what if we love it and want to use their pre-alg too?? That would mean that I spend money on BJU's Pre-alg that I did not need to spend, and wasted many hours of recording the DVD class that I did not need to record. :glare:

Ack! I cannot think like that though, right? :001_huh::D

I've been looking for a supplement program for my dd, who will be in 7th grade next year. She'll be doing LoF Beginning Algebra, and seems to need a stronger base. For some reason, though she does well, she's unsure of her abilities. She's definitely wanting to do the LoF Algebra now, which is an improvement over last year! I looked at the CLE maths, and decided to get the 8th grade math program for her. It's the new program......not sure they even still sell the old program? Anyway, it looked quite practical and looks like it has stuff in it that will (hopefully) help her cement concepts that she still feels a bit shaky on.

Has anyone done this math before? What did you think? Some of the other stuff looked interesting too, but we're filled up for next year, except for that math. I'll keep it in mind for next year though, just in case.

Edited by Brindee
edit spelling

QUOTE]

What's the ISBN on this book? I did a google search and it looks neat!

So many have raved about CLE that I'm curious. We prefer a more secular approach to academics. In your opinions, could these work for us??

Math - yes

Reading - no

LA - maybe

other subjects - no

What grades & subjects are you looking for?

Look at the many samples now on clp website: http://www.clp.org/store/browse/31_curriculum

So many have raved about CLE that I'm curious. We prefer a more secular approach to academics. In your opinions, could these work for us??
I was wondering the same thing. As a Jehovah's Witness, I don't mind scriptures or references to the Creator, but references to heaven, hell, the trinity doctrine and being saved are not acceptable, as we have different views on those things. Are those type of things included or is it just strictly non-denominational? Thank you so much for any specifics you can give me.

I was wondering the same thing. As a Jehovah's Witness, I don't mind scriptures or references to the Creator, but references to heaven, hell, the trinity doctrine and being saved are not acceptable, as we have different views on those things. Are those type of things included or is it just strictly non-denominational? Thank you so much for any specifics you can give me.

But it's mostly straight from Scripture - no trinity or doctrine that I see that might offend JW's (2 of my sisters are JW's).

Look carefully at the reading samples http://www.clp.org/store/by_subject/1 and then call CLE and ask them. Also you can join the CLE yahoo group and ask there http://groups.yahoo.com/group/christianlightfamilies/?yguid=93229998

If you click "View Details" you can see samples that available to look at.

I am perfectly content using CLE for math, reading and language arts. We have used it for the past 3 years. The first year we used just language arts. Then the second year we used language arts and reading. This year we added math to the other two.

I am extremely happy to have consistancy in this part of our homeschooling.

Jennie