Menu

6 Minute Solution

Have any of you used it, and if so, have you found it effective (and worth the $$$)? Or might we be just as well off using regular old books from around the house at a slightly easier level than my son is reading at?

We're about to finish up Rewards Intermediate, and it's been a great program, particularly for ease of use. Which level of 6 Minute Solution would be the appropriate follow-up to RI?

I use it and have found it effective. The first year my son did it, he made a ton of progress on his reading speed and fluency. His speed doubled. Now, I do one level with him each year just to keep him on track. I don't see the kind of progress I did that first year, but I'm sure that's because his reading is in the range it should be now.

I can't recommend a level because the version I have comes in one book with all the grades in it.

You could definitely use books you have around the house to do the same thing. I think someone else has recommended the dibels website in the past. I believe they have numbered passages there that you could use.

Lisa

I use it and have found it effective. The first year my son did it, he made a ton of progress on his reading speed and fluency. His speed doubled. Now, I do one level with him each year just to keep him on track. I don't see the kind of progress I did that first year, but I'm sure that's because his reading is in the range it should be now.

I can't recommend a level because the version I have comes in one book with all the grades in it.

You could definitely use books you have around the house to do the same thing. I think someone else has recommended the dibels website in the past. I believe they have numbered passages there that you could use.

Lisa

Thanks, Lisa. That's really helpful. :001_smile:

Lisa

Can you tell me how you've used it?

How often do you do it?

How many times does he repeat the readings?

Does he read aloud each time, or silently when he practices?

How often do you time?

Thanks.

I really liked 6 Minute Solution as a follow up to Rewards. You can do fluency readings with anything, but I really liked having the leveled passages. I used the old version that had all the levels in one volume but I'm sure that the new version will be just as good.

Can you tell me how you've used it?

How often do you do it?

How many times does he repeat the readings?

Does he read aloud each time, or silently when he practices?

How often do you time?

Thanks.

We do it daily, 4X a week. On the first day, he reads the passage to himself and asks me for help if there are any words he can't read or is unsure of. Then I read the passage to him for one minute while he follows along. After I read it to him, he reads it to me while I time him for one minute. There is a graph in the back of the Six Minute Solutions book, so that you can graph your child's results and I have my son do this so he can see his progress. That's it! We do one passage each week.

Lisa

• 6 months later...

The Six Minute solution has really helped my daughters. One in particular used to skip words all the time when reading or make up words to fit, and this program has really nipped that. Both girls want to do well and so really pay attention to what is on the page, and try to increase speed. This has carried over into their other reading as well.

We do it every weekday, and it really takes no more than a few minutes. I am so happy someone on this board recommended it. I would say it is our biggest success this year.

Beth in MD

Homeschooling mom of four

http://www.homeschoolfrederick.com