Menu

Fantasy literature: what are some objections?

My son has decided to write a persuasive paper about the benefits of fantasy literature. I just ordered a couple of books from Amazon containing essays from Tolkien and Lewis on the fantasy genre. But where do I go to get the strongest and most credible arguments on the other side? I don't want him to set up a straw man. I really want him to address the most reasoned objections of those who have a problem with fantasy and fairy tales. Any websites, articles, essays or books would be helpful to him. Thanks!

Just bumping this up for you.:001_smile:

Fantasy is my favorite genre. I have a close friend who is against it, though. To my knowledge, it was just her opinions based on passages of biblical scripture. If there was a book on it, she probably would have read it:D I would say that your son could get scriptures from the Bible on witchcraft and sorcery to go for the other side of it. I'm interested to see if anyone HAS written a book on this.

Just bumping this up for you.:001_smile:

Fantasy is my favorite genre. I have a close friend who is against it, though. To my knowledge, it was just her opinions based on passages of biblical scripture. If there was a book on it, she probably would have read it:D I would say that your son could get scriptures from the Bible on witchcraft and sorcery to go for the other side of it. I'm interested to see if anyone HAS written a book on this.

Those who I've run into tend to cite Timothy 1:4, "nor give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which cause disputes rather than righteous edification which is in faith," as an injunction against myth, fantasy, fable or what have you. I don't find it a very satisfactory interpretation though. It seems more likely that Paul is addressing a situation where a congregation has gotten bogged down in legalisms and argument over the Hebrew scriptures or OT. Early Christians were dealing with lots of diversity remember, from Jewish Christians to Gentile converts and there was a lot of tension there.

I've heard that Charles Dawkins is going to write a book about whether it's harmful for children to read fairy tales and fantasy literature, and his arguments would add a different perspective to the discussion. I don't pay much attention to what he says, so I'm not sure what you would be able to find on the topic yet, since the book hasn't been written.