Menu

DD 8 struggling in WWE 1

Well, she did just turn 8.

When I read the WWE 1 passage to her she just looks lost, then when I ask her the questions she has no idea on the answer. I have to go back and re-read and point things out to her. I think it is a bit easier for her to read something herself and tell me something about it, either that or she is just paying more attention because she is interested in the books that she is reading (she's still on first grade readers).

It's not WWE, it's this way when I read aloud anything to her...she can't listen and tell me about things I've just read. Does this have anything to do with her being left handed? How can I help her along, or is this just a learning style that she is low in? She's so darn hard to figure out, I never know what's going on in that brain of hers.

She does okay in the other subjects, but it just doesn't seem like those light bulb moments go off very often. She giggles at herself a bit, so I just don't know how to take her...she's just a nut (and I say this with a whole lotta love).

Help please.

Alison

One thing you could do is read her the questions first. Coach her through what the questions mean, even before you start reading. So you read the question, then have her repeat it back to you (not necessarily word-for-word -- but so you know she has the idea in her head). Ask her, "So what are you going to listen for in the story?" "Okay, but didn't it say something about ____, so what do you think that means you'll need to look for?" Try to ask leading questions when necessary without *giving* her the answers.

Go through all of the questions like that. Then, when you're sure she understands them, go back and read the story aloud. Read with appropriate emphasis, but make an effort to read slowly and clearly. She may struggle to process auditory information, and giving her a little bit of lag time may help.

Then ask the questions again. If she still struggles, try to break the questions down further. Go back and read the story (as you were doing before), and stop when you get to the answer to the question. Don't *tell* her that's what it is -- ask her, "Did you hear what Pa did when he ran to the barn?" (or whatever). "Let me read that sentence to you again..."

If she needs even more practice before being reading for WWE, you might try something like this deck of Auditory Memory cards. They each provide a detailed sentence for the child to listen to you read aloud, then four questions about the sentence. The illustration contains some clues as well, to help the child be successful. As an intermediary step, it might be useful.

When I read aloud to my son I let him draw, or play legos, so long as it is done quietly.

My dh thought I was crazy letting ds doing something whilst I read aloud, he thought that there is no way ds could be paying attention.

Ds does pay attention, and has become quite good at telling me what I've just read.

Even if it is reading instructions from a book, he doodles whilst I talk.

My ds is left handed, so I don't know if it a learning style thing, but it works around here. If he is doing more than one thing at once, he seems to do better. Ask him to concentrate just one thing at a time, he's lost.

I had this same problem when I used the program with ds 5.9. He did great on the copy work. He really struggled with the stories and answering the questions. I think that, honestly, the stories are a bit tough for a young child. I do a lot of "reading comprehension" type stuff with my 5.9 year old and *normally* he does really well. I remember, specifically, when we did Alice in Wonderland, he was totally lost. My 9.10 year old did great and understood completely. I really think it is a function of age and understanding and I find the stories to be just a bit too complicated and detail oriented for the younger kids.

You may try picking a story that she has heard before or that you have read together and doing your narration passages from there. I know it will be a lot more work, but maybe just do that until she gets a better grasp on the process?

When I read aloud to my son I let him draw, or play legos, so long as it is done quietly.

My dh thought I was crazy letting ds doing something whilst I read aloud, he thought that there is no way ds could be paying attention.

Ds does pay attention, and has become quite good at telling me what I've just read.

Even if it is reading instructions from a book, he doodles whilst I talk.

My ds is left handed, so I don't know if it a learning style thing, but it works around here. If he is doing more than one thing at once, he seems to do better. Ask him to concentrate just one thing at a time, he's lost.

My ADHD son is the master at this type thing. He is ALWAYS doing something else when you talk to him, read to him, etc. It drives us NUTS, but I think it actually HELPS him focus..

My ds(7) is almost done with WWE 1 and he occasionally struggles with the questions in the stories. He is a very good auditory learner, but I find many of the stories in WWE can be advanced for younger children. If it is a really interesting story with easy language he does great; but less interesting stories with harder language is hard for him to follow.

I know I hate listening to audio books or be read to. I can follow along if I really, really focus. But my mind just kind of spaces out after a while if it isn't that interesting. Many children struggle with narration and it is a learned skill. Some kids need more time and help learning this skill then others. SWB just says if they cannot answer the question go back and read the section that the answer was in. Over time this is a skill that should strengthen with practice.