Menu

Houghton Mifflin?

After a difficult year of Mom having to go back to work during our very first year HS'ing, it looks like the kids are going to public (charter) school next year. I found one that I can get on board with, but of course am sad that we couldn't make this work due to lack of time and money (hence me being up worrying when it's 3 am). We definitely got our work done this year, but the girls are very social and with me working so much I couldn't provide them with the social interaction/extra curriculars they really need and that I want for them.

:crying:

(Picking myself up and dusting off)

So, this new school uses Houghton Mifflin. Anyone heard of it? Since HS'ing, my standards have gone up quite a bit. Afterschooling is an option, but these kids need time to be free and to just be "kids" after school, too IMO.

I would appreciate any thoughts!!!

Christa

Calvert (a pricey private school that has hs materials which are very popular with virtual schools) uses HM reading. I've been using it with my kids for a couple of months and we're a bit more than a third through. I like the variety and they've gained confidence. It includes some phonics, but not as systematically as most hs programs. I wouldn't use it as a stand-alone, but it's nice to combine with LLATL because it's colorful and the stories are fun. I'd be reassured if a ps were using it. I can't comment about their other subjects, though.

We use some HM books - language arts (specifiaclly phonics) and for ds's 2nd grade math this year. I find them to be overall pretty thorough, approachable, and not confusing (a big plus in my mind). I'd place them pretty high on the "good" list. On the other hand, I don't like their reading anthologies. On the math front, we're all Saxon again next year!

Edited by momto2Cs

They are textbooks published primarily for schools. I wouldn't say there is anything that "wonderful" about them. They are what they are. Textbooks. No different than what other textbooks publishers are putting out there. SWB talks about them, especially the reading ones, in WTM. Often excerpts taken from real books. Other times, excerpts written by makers of textbooks, not true authors. Can take the joy from reading real books.

I used them for Science and Reading our first year of HSing while using Calvert. Pretty pictures. Fluff reading material.

If it's your only choice, so be it. Wouldn't be something I would pursue otherwise.

Edited by Samiam
corrected misspelling

We use HM for spelling, and for math in the early grades. The books are engaging and colorful, without being distracting. We tried HM English, but it was too busy--most pages were overly cluttered.

If my kids were going to ps, I'd be okay with HM for the early years up to 6th (that's what we have experience with). Is there anything special about them? Probably not, but there's nothing to worry about either--they get the job done.

Being brutally honest here...my dc went to a PS this year,that uses HM, and I *loathe* HM. Especially the math and reading!

HM math skips around, brings up a concept-and never returns to that concept. The pages are colorful, but horribly cluttered. I know teachers in our PS district-and *they* can't stand HM,either. My oldest dc's teacher predicts the district will switch to Saxon for math, as test scores are going down,down.

Also, my oldest(sixth gr.) was so far advanced with her math( going in at the start of the year), the teacher gave her an eigth gr. math test, just to see how she did. She aced it! She was also the only dc in class to know her times tables-and this is sixth grade! Sadly, we live in a pretty good district!

I am sorry. I wish I could share a more positive opinion.....

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I thought I subscribed to this thread, and I obviously didn't. I thought maybe there were no responses at all since nothing in my inbox...so I'm sorry it appeared I bailed on your thoughtful replies!

I will have to continue using mastery approach with dd's after school so HM will be considered review for them (hopefully that plan will work).

Christa