Menu

K math workbook w/out heavy writing for a friend

babygemma

Hi there,

I'm posting a lot tonight and since I'm also searching for a curriculum for my own 4.5 yo ds, my friend would like to know if any of you could suggest a math workbook of similar caliber to Horizon Math without the heavy writing component, something less jumpy is preferred. I told her that she could skip the writing component, but she said it's still distracting because it's there.

Thanks.

You could try Saxon K. It might feel Jumpy, but you will notice concepts are constantly reviewed, even if the main lesson changes topics frequently. There's very, very little writing, and I think it's only 3 days a week (it's been a while, so forgive me if it's more). You can get used copies easily.

MCP Math Level K is a consumable math workbook with little writing. I remember people saying Horizons Math goes really fast, though. MCP moves slowly and steadily through math concepts.

It's sold (2005 edition) at http://www.chcweb.com, Catholic Heritage Curricula. My connection is very slow at the moment, otherwise I would have linked it. You can also check out samples. It's not colorful like Horizons, but this works well for my ds (no distractions).

You could try Saxon K. It might feel Jumpy, but you will notice concepts are constantly reviewed, even if the main lesson changes topics frequently. There's very, very little writing, and I think it's only 3 days a week (it's been a while, so forgive me if it's more). You can get used copies easily.

I have this for sale for $20!!! :D

However, it's not a workbook, and you would have to purchase manipulatives to use for almost all of the lessons. I think it uses teddy bear counters, pattern blocks, geoboard/geobands, and linking cubes. There are masters in the back that are nice, though.

another option is rightstart math A. it is not a workbook and requires little writing, but they learn to think about math concepts. we are thoroughly enjoying it with my youngers after bombing on lots of math curriculum choices with my older ones. and they are "seeing" math and getting it. now, that is my idea of fun!

BJU Math IS a workbook, and manipulative based program, but very little actual writing.

I tried Saxon, and it was okay, but because I am a workbook kind of girl, I really wanted so type of workbook page to go with it. Saxon K does not have any writing, other than coloring a calendar (at least for the first 100 lessons we did)

Horizon, from what I could tell, was going to be too advanced for my DS, plus I heard there is alot of writing.

I finally looked at BJU, which I had avoided for many years, due to just not knowing much about them except knowing their strict college in South Carolina.

BJU Math is perfect. The TM's tells you lots of different activities each lesson that is manipulative based (perfect for my son) and then you do a worksheet (makes me happy). Other than writing a few numbers, it's mostly making X's on something, or underlining something, or circling something. A few pages had color something...and as he learns the numbers, practicing writing the numbers, but even that is not too much (although can print extra worksheet to practice more if wanted). But I really wanted my son to focus on the math concepts and not worry so much about having to write things. BJU is perfect for us.

Just wanted to add about Saxon K--you do not need to use the same manipulatives they do, except maybe the pattern blocks (which are sooo nice to have, anyway!). You can use cereal pieces, marshmallows, colored candies (food is big around here), or legos and blocks, small cars, buttons--People say how expensive it is to buy all the manipulatives, but they really don't need them.