Menu

megawords? Help with son who guesses large words he doesn't know...

ShelzNH

My son is 8 and has always loved reading. He reads a lot and I admit I kind of just assumed after a while that he really had it down pat since he chooses to read so often. Well the past few days I have had him read aloud to me and am noticing that whenever he comes to a word that he doesn't know he makes something up and keeps going?... huh?? I am trying to get him to SLOW down and sound it out but he seems incapable. Is there a program that could help him with this? I was looking at Megawords but is that just for spelling? Will that help him with this stuff? Would I start with level 1? Do I need the teacher's Manual? TIA!

My son is 8 and has always loved reading. He reads a lot and I admit I kind of just assumed after a while that he really had it down pat since he chooses to read so often. Well the past few days I have had him read aloud to me and am noticing that whenever he comes to a word that he doesn't know he makes something up and keeps going?... huh?? I am trying to get him to SLOW down and sound it out but he seems incapable. Is there a program that could help him with this? I was looking at Megawords but is that just for spelling? Will that help him with this stuff? Would I start with level 1? Do I need the teacher's Manual? TIA!

If he is reading at a 4th grade level, and can reliably decode regular short vowel words, then your best bet is REWARDS, published by Sopris West. It's excellent for decoding large words. The TM is pricey, but it has a high resale value. The kids' workbook is only around $10.

Megawords is recommended for spelling, reading and vocabulary. It should be started with level 1 no matter what to ensure that the child fully understands. I have been using it with my son for the past two years. We have completed 2 books a year. I have not bought the teacher's manuals at all, and I feel that we have done fine without it. The only trouble we have had is when there is an occasional dictation page. We just skip those since they are rare. My son's spelling and reading have both greatly improved with Megawords! I highly recommend it.