Menu

French decisions are wearing on me...sigh...help!

Kfamily

I really want to make a decision about French. Part of my problem is that the two new French programs I'm looking at are very pricey yet I can't seem to get a good feel for them. I don't want to spend a lot of money only to find the program is not going to work for us.

Here are my choices:

The Easy French (I'll need two levels since my girls are too far apart)

Mission Monde (Again, I'll need two levels)

First Start French (I'll already have this and we are 1/2 through)+supplements

I know to supplement any of these with DVDs and audio storybooks.

I know we need to work on incorporating French into daily dialogue.

I need work for younger dd (6) and older dd (12).

I don't speak French so I need a lot of hand holding and audio support.

Any advice? I would really appreciate it...:001_smile:

And frankly, I'm surprised at how much my dc remember. It really did stick with them. I did a lot of supplementing with grammar that I prepared. This is not the most modern way to learn a language, I know, but my dc were used to the grammar approach because that's what we used in Latin.

Perhaps you could use First Start French for grammar, and supplement with the Learnables?

I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about The Easy French or Mission Monde.

Kfamily,

I've used Easy Spanish and my dd and I have felt that it has been OK. Because of the age difference of your dd's, I thought I'd suggest a French Canadian program called L'Art de Lire. There are individual workbooks for the grade levels. Here's the website www.nallenart.com . You can read reviews about it at www.amblesideonline.org in the foreign language section. I took 3 years of French eons ago in high school and would love to teach French to my kids. We live in such a Hispanic dominated area, though, that dh & I thought Spanish made more sense. If I were doing French with children, I'd use this program.

HTH,

Jennifer

That's where I get stuck. I have been thinking about adding L'Art de Lire to First Start French. I wonder if this would work?

What do you think?

I am no expert, but I don't see why you couldn't use both. I must admit it seems like a lot of work to do that. What if you let your youngest use L'Art de Dire since it's an oral program. That way her ear is being trained to hear the language. I'd keep her there until she had a good handle on English phonics/spelling. Then around 4th gr move her on into L'Art de Lire where French phonics are taught.

For your oldest, has she learned the French phonograms? (I am unsure about First Start French's coverage of topics.) IMHO, learning the phonograms of any language, first, greatly improves one's ability to read and speak the language. Since you're half-way through First Start French, why not go ahead and finish. Then switch over to L'Art de Lire. Might save you lots of extra work.

HTH,

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

First Start French teaches grammar but not phonograms. I could see how older dd could benefit from this. Maybe I should get both levels. Hmmm, I'm still thinking about this.

Thanks for your help Jennifer. I know I need it.:D

I'm not the original poster, but I have questions on this too. My student is dd, aged 9, beginning homeschooler but advanced reader with a little (community college kids' class) exposure to French. I just looked at L'art de Lire, and it looks wonderful, but somewhat pricey. I was thinking of:

- reviewing the curriculum used in the kids' class (DK Language Learner French kit -- basically, a lot of relevant-to-kids vocabulary)

- moving on to one of the free online BBC classes such as French Steps or Ma France (both at http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/french/)

- and/or doing Mission Europe: Mission Paris (at http://www.missioneurope.eu/)

None of these teach a methodical, phonemic method, but they're all fun. I know she will need continued education in French if she wants to really know the language, but I'm hoping this approach will teach her some, in a fun and highly affordable way, and also help her gain insight into English.

I would love to hear opinions from other parent-teachers of French. I did study it through college and am reasonable but rusty at pronounciation - far from a native speaker!

-- Susannah, newbie here