Menu

Sharing photo of my math loving son

3522898237_28bf75ca40.jpg?v=0

Here's my 7 year old working one of his sister's math problems for me...I was feeling too lazy to get up and get the answer key or do the problem myself and knew he wouldn't mind working the problem. He's rather do math and any other school subject.

Wow! That is really neat!:001_smile:

Dd (K) likes to make up pretend problems that she overhears her sister working on. She doesn't get them right but she loves doing "hard math":001_smile: She even copies problems out of dd math books. Hilarious! It is so neat just to watch their enthusiasm.

That's great. It's so wonderful when they're that excited about a particular subject.

=joannqn;944393

He's rather do math and any other school subject.

My ds was like this when he was younger. In fact, some of my favorite memories are of him saying, "Mom, I'm bored, can I go do math?" Boy, I didn't have to think twice about answering that question.:)

He has his division and multiplication facts mastered with pretty good speed. I don't do timed tests but he doesn't really hesitate.

With long division, he works it at a comfortable pace without any stops for confusion. He knows exactly what he is doing. I'd say he does it at about the same speed of a child who has learned well it at grade level but not as fast as an adult who is comfortable with math. He definitely is faster at it than his 9 year old sister. The thing that slows him down the most is the need to explain every single thing he's doing to anyone who happens to be within hearing range.

The thing that slows him down the most is the need to explain every single thing he's doing to anyone who happens to be within hearing range.

Too bad you live so far away; ds would benefit from this; long division is his stumbling block, and hearing it over & over again would be great for him. I get tired of doing it ;).

Too bad you live so far away; ds would benefit from this; long division is his stumbling block, and hearing it over & over again would be great for him. I get tired of doing it ;).

He'd be happy to explain it over and over again.

This morning, he was explaining how to find the area of a trapazoid to his 2 year old brother who was just trying to scribble and erase on the same white board.

This morning, he was explaining how to find the area of a trapazoid to his 2 year old brother who was just trying to scribble and erase on the same white board.

JoAnn,

I can not stop smilling to hear it. Your 8-year old son is a leader too with willing to explain to that little brother. Hope to hear how he does in near future.