Menu

Ecce Romani users - - teacher's manual or not?

katilac

I'm thinking that if I need a $60 TM for Ecce Romani, I can just buy a different program complete with TM, kwim? sheesh, can't find a decent used price to save my life!

anyone use it w/o TM? how much latin do you need?

Which edition are you using? The Teacher's Manual for ER is highly detailed! It's more than just the answers to the exercises and translations of the readings. It includes correlations to the standards for classical language learning (written by the American Classical League, available here http://aclclassics.org/pub_reports.html) as well as chapter overviews, pacing suggestions, teaching suggestions (very detailed), etc. You can easily find it at pearsonschool.com.

Ecce Romani just came out with the fourth edition of the series, which doesn't seem to be easily obtainable on sites like Amazon. Used sellers on Amazon aren't permitted to sell used books, by the way, which can cause the prices for ones you do find to be quite high.

Edited by latinteach

It's definitely not the newest edition; I think I have one 2nd and one 3rd edition.

I picked them up used, and it was supposed to be a fun interval between LCII and Henle. Hmmm, I just can't decide.

Do you use the TM? Maybe I need to call and chat with the Pearson's rep.

It's definitely not the newest edition; I think I have one 2nd and one 3rd edition.

The third edition is very similar to fourth edition. The content of the stories is identical and pagination is the same. The difference between third and fourth edition (as far as the textbooks go) is that there has been quite a bit of rewriting of the grammar explanations. Not sure what the difference between second and third/fourth edition is, however. Do you have the split edition of the first year book? So if you did end up getting a fourth edition teacher's manual it should work okay with the third edition.

The Pearson website shows a $50 price (new) for the TM for the third and fourth editions.

• 4 weeks later...

hey, I found one for $20, go me! and you are right; there is quite a bit of information in the TM. it's just very hard for me to pay that kind of money sight unseen - - I'll be a little more willing to do so for the next level if I don't find another deal, because now I have an idea of what's included and how I can use it.

thanks, you motivated me to keep looking!

I bought our Ecce Romani directly from the publisher. TM, too. Voting for the TM, as it includes a great deal of material.

Try Follett for used textbooks, including TMs. I glanced over there just now, and they have the 2009 TM in stock for $33.50. the 2000 TM for $30.90, and so forth.

Edited by Orthodox6

I picked them up used, and it was supposed to be a fun interval between LCII and Henle. Hmmm, I just can't decide.

It doesn't make sense to use Ecce Romani as a "fun interval" between LCII and Henle because it's actually pretty comparable in content to Henle (ie. grammar topics covered). It presents the material somewhat differently, but when it comes right down to it, both Ecce and Henle are high school level Latin courses. Ecce is a Reading-Based course, but it's particularly strong in its grammar explanations and does a great job of teaching students how to read and translate Latin fluently as well.

The teacher's manual for ER (4th edition) is gigantic!

The main difference between 3rd and 4th edition is in the grammatical explanations. The story content/pagination is the same, so you could probably use a 4th edition teacher's manual with the 3rd edition. Not sure if the same could be said for 2nd edition. The language activity books should be compatible with the 3rd edition too.

• 12 years later...
On 6/10/2009 at 7:49 PM, latinteach said:

It doesn't make sense to use Ecce Romani as a "fun interval" between LCII and Henle because it's actually pretty comparable in content to Henle (ie. grammar topics covered). It presents the material somewhat differently, but when it comes right down to it, both Ecce and Henle are high school level Latin courses. Ecce is a Reading-Based course, but it's particularly strong in its grammar explanations and does a great job of teaching students how to read and translate Latin fluently as well.

The teacher's manual for ER (4th edition) is gigantic!

The main difference between 3rd and 4th edition is in the grammatical explanations. The story content/pagination is the same, so you could probably use a 4th edition teacher's manual with the 3rd edition. Not sure if the same could be said for 2nd edition. The language activity books should be compatible with the 3rd edition too.

Does the 4th edition ER teacher’s manual include tests & answers as well?