Menu

We just found a nest of baby bunnies in our landscaping!

My ds8 was helping me pull weeds when he noticed a whole underneath some flowers when he looked on the other side of it he said, mom I think there's a rat in here! I went over to take a closer look and I saw some tiny moving creatures. By the shape of their ears and legs I'm pretty sure that they are bunny rabbits. Their eyes are still closed but they don't look like they've been born within the past couple of days. Does anyone know anything about baby bunny rabbits? Is it safe to touch them. What a wonderful way to study nature! Right in our front yard.

Edited by A home for their hearts

No, I wouldn't touch them. Mother bunnies can be quite easily upset if they smell something amiss. I'd just leave them alone and keep an eye on them. Mother's only feed their little ones once or twice a day - generally about dawn so you may not see Mom around. At about 3 weeks, the kits will start leaving the nest to explore. By about 4 weeks, they will be mainly on their own.

By the way, wild rabbits do not make good pets. They are too high strung and need too much room to run (hop?).

Hope you have fun watching them!:001_smile: They are really cute.

Karen

My ds8 was helping me pull weeds when he noticed a whole underneath some flowers when he looks on the other side of it he said, mom I think theres a rat here! I went over to take a closer look and I saw some tiny moving creatures. By the shape of their ears and legs I'm pretty sure that they are bunny rabbits. There eyes are still closed but they don't it doesn't look like they've been born within the past couple of days. Does anyone know anything about baby bunny rabbits? Is it safe to touch them. What a wonderful way to study nature! Right in our front yard.

Go to the library and check out some bunny books.

I will tell you one interesting thing I know about them...

They do not have a regular cycle. They do not ovulate based on the rythm of time. They ovulate every time they mate.

Mating stimulates ovulation.

tame ones that our doe had. And yes, I agree with the others that you shouldn't touch them. They may be alone, but they are not forgotten. I have only seen my doe in the nest one time in a week and a half. I was really worried at first. But all those little buns are just as fat as they can be!

I definitely wouldn't mess with them - mom might not take care of them if you do. It should be really fun to see them start moving out of the nest in a few weeks though!

Stacy, how fun! We seem to have a new bunny family on our property every year. They are cute, but we've never tried to find their nest or anything. I always figured we shouldn't bother them, just have fun watching them from a distance. Enjoy! :001_smile: