Menu

Anyone buy a new TV lately? I think I want to stick with the 'old' kind, LOL....

I am not ready to fork out the money for one of those 'fancy' TV's just yet.....or should I be? Are they really worth it?

I have an OLD Curtis Mathis 32 inch now....and it has problems with the 'yoke' or something like that. When you turn it on....it stretches out the tops of peoples' heads....and you can't see the 'channel info' on the bottom of the screen. But...when it warms up a bit....everything seems better.

It is only 7 years old.....certainly should have lasted longer....

I am not a huge TV watcher....so that is why I am hesitant in getting a plasma, LCD, or whatever other kinds there are out there, LOL.

What do you all have....?

I am not ready to fork out the money for one of those 'fancy' TV's just yet.....or should I be? Are they really worth it?

I have an OLD Curtis Mathis 32 inch now....and it has problems with the 'yoke' or something like that. When you turn it on....it stretches out the tops of peoples' heads....and you can't see the 'channel info' on the bottom of the screen. But...when it warms up a bit....everything seems better.

It is only 7 years old.....certainly should have lasted longer....

I am not a huge TV watcher....so that is why I am hesitant in getting a plasma, LCD, or whatever other kinds there are out there, LOL.

What do you all have....?

I work in television, and I still have cathode-ray tube televisions at home. The lag time (slow re-fresh rates) of current LCDs are too slow and the digital artifacts make my eyes and brain hurt.

And Plasma sets use an unconscionable amount of electricity. So I've stayed pat, and am waiting for technology to evolve. Maybe "laser" sets, or the next-generation LCDs.

I've just gotten accustomed to monitoring off very expensive "broadcast quality" monitors, and the current flat screens make me koo-koo. I'd still prefer an old tube.

Bill (who has a distinct "minority" opinion :D)

I have a 12 (!) year old TV/VCR combo I received as a gift. I even have bought a replacement remote control a few years ago. It works just fine, and I am sticking with it until it dies.

However, if it quality was bad (the stretched out head business on yours sounds rather annoying), I would consider it.

My TV is a 32" and I have had it almost 10 years now. It has served me well and I have no desire to go out and buy a flat TV..other than for the space and the whole "hang it on the wall" option. That is the only thing that appeals to me.

Of course, ask me if I would ever give up my flat computer screen for one of those old box kinds and I would say HECK no! So it might be the same if I ever got a flat panel TV too!

We just had our tube go out on our old tube tv. We replaced it with a Samsung LCD and are thrilled with it. I do still love the look of the tube tv, but that darn thing was soooo heavy. If you decide to go with a new one, take a close look at the new Samsung LED LCD. They are amazing.

Our 12 year old 27" Zenith recently died, so we needed a new TV. We're not big electronics people (although I'd die without my computer), but now that we have a 42" HDTV, flat screen... I'm wondering how we lived without it! :D The picture is incredible. History channel and Discovery on HD are gorgeous!