Menu

Marine Biology suggestions???

Tamy

My 9yo daughter has just informed me that instead of chemistry next year...she would prefer...actually, she HAS to study marine biology. "Mommy, it's just something I feel I HAVE to study!" She's a *bit* dramatic but passionate (and oh, so sweet). :-)

Anyway, before I take the time to put something together myself, I was hoping somebody here would have a suggestion for some type of program at the 4th-ish grade level for marine biology. We want something that focuses mainly on animals.

Any help would be appreciated!

Tamy

Growing With Grammar

http://www.GrowingWithGrammar.com

Apologia Swimming creatures? It is, however, Creation based, if this is a problem.

I looked at this (a quick look, however), but it seemed advanced. Would it be appropriate for 4th grade?

Tamy

We have some Marine Science books by Dandylion books--they look pretty good, but we haven't actually used them yet. I think there are 3 books, for different grade levels.

eta-LOL-these are the books Sagira linked to above.

Not a program but a book (workbook looks like), called Marine Science, Book 2, aimed at grades 3-5. This sounds just right for you and has topics such as seawater, fishes and sharks, marine mammals, marine invertebrates, marine plants and algae, and food chains and webs.

I actually ordered these today (they're on sale on the Prufrock Press website). I wasn't sure how detailed they were, but I figured I *might* be able to work with them. We'll see.

Thanks!

Tamy

The Seymour Center at the Long Memorial Marine Science lab in Santa Cruz has incredible marine biology summer camps. My DD has attended 2 or 3 of them over the years.

I believe that there is one just for girls ages 7-9, and there are other coed ones for all ages 7 through high school. Camps last from 9 to 3 for one week. Kids spend some time at the Seymour Center itself, and also take field trips to other marine habitats, and sometimes to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. The center provides all transportation for those field trips using a small bus that they own, and specially licensed workers that have the better drivers' license and also act as leaders.

The Seymour Center is the public arm of the marine mammal research facility at UC Santa Cruz. As such they have several species of marine mammals living in their facility, and the kids get behind the scenes exposure to their research. They are located within walking distance from the Monterey Bay, a salt water bay that is almost part of the Pacific Ocean, but with lower tides and waves. Nearby is a state park with riparian habitat along a stream flowing through beautiful ancient and second growth redwood forests, and a wonderful slough with a brackish habitat--tons of birds, and quite a few sea otters!

Santa Cruz is only about 100 miles from San Francisco, and maybe 40 miles from Monterey. There is a ton to see and do around there. Your whole family could have a great trip out here, and I can't recommend the Seymour Center summer camps highly enough--truly outstanding!

Santa Cruz is only about 100 miles from San Francisco, and maybe 40 miles from Monterey. There is a ton to see and do around there. Your whole family could have a great trip out here, and I can't recommend the Seymour Center summer camps highly enough--truly outstanding!

Wow, Carol! This is great to know. We've actually be talking about taking a trip to California.

Thanks for the information.

Tamy