Menu

R&S English with WWE?

mom4him

I am doing R&S English 2nd grade with my soon to be 4th grader(I really fell back on this area by changing things up and getting things she was not suited for). We will be finished with 2nd grade Eng by the middle of July and be starting 3rd grade in Aug. I have been looking at WWE since the discussions have been going on about it and wondering if anyone has done it along with R&S Eng.

Would this be to much, good match comments?

I am doing R&S English 2nd grade with my soon to be 4th grader(I really fell back on this area by changing things up and getting things she was not suited for). We will be finished with 2nd grade Eng by the middle of July and be starting 3rd grade in Aug. I have been looking at WWE since the discussions have been going on about it and wondering if anyone has done it along with R&S Eng.

Would this be to much, good match comments?

My dd will be doing R&S 3 next year for grammar only, along with WWE. In my mind I think of R&S as for grammar, and WWE for writing. We won't be doing the R&S writing lessons because I want her to get the firm writing foundation with WWE. (although we'll probably go through the letter-writing lessons, because it's a useful life skill that is not covered in WWE)

Also, have you considered just moving your stb 4th grader into R&S 4 in August? Is there a reason to keep her at R&S 3? I say this because R&S 4 repeats much of what was in R&S 3, just with more age appropriate language. R&S 5 does the same thing. And I've read that many people say you can put kids into books 3, 4, or 5 at their age/grade levels. (after that it gets a little more tricky about where to start older kids - could be 5, or 6 or 7 depending on what they know). Also, in book 4, the writing lessons are marked (they aren't in book 3) so you can easily skip them and just do the grammar lessons.

But no, I wouldn't do WWE AND the R&S writing lessons (just the R&S grammar lessons).

I'm using R&S 3 English and WWE with my 3rd grader. I introduced WWE halfway through the school year because she struggling with narrations and dictation. I don't have her do the copywork, as it's just busy work for her, but I've seen improvement in her narrations since beginning the program.

I don't see any overlap with the two programs at this point in the lessons (week 10 in WWE and Unit 4 in R&S 3). There is what I consider a small amount of writing in R&S (unless you include writing out the exercises) and it shouldn't be a problem unless you have a reluctant writer.

I will continue using WWE next year, along with R&S 4.

I'm using R&S 3 English and WWE with my 3rd grader. I introduced WWE halfway through the school year because she struggling with narrations and dictation. I don't have her do the copywork, as it's just busy work for her, but I've seen improvement in her narrations since beginning the program.

I don't see any overlap with the two programs at this point in the lessons (week 10 in WWE and Unit 4 in R&S 3). There is what I consider a small amount of writing in R&S (unless you include writing out the exercises) and it shouldn't be a problem unless you have a reluctant writer.

I will continue using WWE next year, along with R&S 4.

Both of my dc are reluctant writers. Right now all she does is the work books for reading,phonics and spelling in R&S and some days that stresses her. She is the one that does it all as I instruct but does it with tears running down her cheeks. She is a sweety and doesn't complain but......

One thing we are going to do is get eyes checked as I am wondering if that might be part of her problems with it being so stressful.

At any right I thought I could just do even 1/2 a lesson in the WWE to start with if a whole lesson looked like to much for her.

Also, have you considered just moving your stb 4th grader into R&S 4 in August? Is there a reason to keep her at R&S 3? I say this because R&S 4 repeats much of what was in R&S 3, just with more age appropriate language. R&S 5 does the same thing. And I've read that many people say you can put kids into books 3, 4, or 5 at their age/grade levels. (after that it gets a little more tricky about where to start older kids - could be 5, or 6 or 7 depending on what they know). Also, in book 4, the writing lessons are marked (they aren't in book 3) so you can easily skip them and just do the grammar lessons.

I have heard this also with the 3,4 and 5 English. We started in the Eng. 3 but she really was so clueless that I felt I needed to back up and do the 2nd grade with her. We are doing them orally and going through 3-4 lessons a day. She can repeat the next day the things that we covered the previous and is getting some app. in the reading work book so I feel like she is getting it. I guess I feel like I have jumped around so much I just need to go with it and eventually she will catch up with her grade level in everything. Maybe after the third grade I will look at the 5th instead of the 4th but will have to wait and see.

I have been way to lax in many things and am really trying to beef the missing links up and not end up feeling like I have missed a bunch again. Know what I mean?

I have heard this also with the 3,4 and 5 English. We started in the Eng. 3 but she really was so clueless that I felt I needed to back up and do the 2nd grade with her. We are doing them orally and going through 3-4 lessons a day. She can repeat the next day the things that we covered the previous and is getting some app. in the reading work book so I feel like she is getting it. I guess I feel like I have jumped around so much I just need to go with it and eventually she will catch up with her grade level in everything. Maybe after the third grade I will look at the 5th instead of the 4th but will have to wait and see.

I have been way to lax in many things and am really trying to beef the missing links up and not end up feeling like I have missed a bunch again. Know what I mean?

Well, with all the repetition that happens in 3 and 4, and with doing several lessons orally per day, you may just catch up anyway by the end of grade 5. :)

Both of my dc are reluctant writers. Right now all she does is the work books for reading,phonics and spelling in R&S and some days that stresses her. She is the one that does it all as I instruct but does it with tears running down her cheeks. She is a sweety and doesn't complain but......

One thing we are going to do is get eyes checked as I am wondering if that might be part of her problems with it being so stressful.

At any right I thought I could just do even 1/2 a lesson in the WWE to start with if a whole lesson looked like to much for her.

Any chance you could do some of the workbooks orally? Or eliminate some of the work, in favour of just teaching phonics and spelling, and adding WWE for writing skills?

Well, with all the repetition that happens in 3 and 4, and with doing several lessons orally per day, you may just catch up anyway by the end of grade 5. :)

This is what I figured also. I have looked at the gr.3 Eng and I think to start we can do 2 lessons of that a day. I'll have to see how that goes. I do think she could go into the 4th grade but when I looked at it, it kind of jumps in with somethings that aren't really covered that I could see in 2nd.