Menu

Please help me nail down this character challenge...

I have a child who frowns a LOT. He is 10 and frowns when he is told what to do. We have worked on obedience challenges and he has improved a lot. He does not like to be told what to do... by anyone. But, that's not reality in life, kwim? It's not like I follow him around bossing him... we're talking everyday life.

I ask him to put his legs straight on the couch so his brother can sit down and he scowls.

I return him to his room to hang up the jacket that he threw on the floor and he scowls.

I explain that the boys will take turns, 45 min. each on a computer game and he scowls.

We're talking very BIG crossing eyebrow, scrunched up face, frowns and he has recently started glaring at me.

I find this not age appropriate or acceptable, but don't know what to do about it. I verbally correct. I send him to his room until he can have a nicer experession. I can't send him to the room when we does it when we are out places, though.

Recently I've been working on character traits with him. With the obedience issue, I had him look up the book obedience and write out the definition, list those that he needs to obey, write out a paragraph about what he learned... and it hit home with him. He responded really well.

But, what do I have him look up the definition for for "scowl"? What is the deeper character flaw? It's not like he is 3, you know....

Any other ideas for working through this are appreciated!!

Thanks

Bee

The character flaw is indeed disobedience, and you should take confidence and address it head on. It will not serve him well in life to scowl at anyone in authority over him.

If what you request of him is not done with a good attitude, count it as not done at all and make him repeat it until he does it with a good attitude. If he refuses, then step up the discipline (this would be a spanking in our home, but whatever it is for you.)

I would read Heart of Anger by Lou Priolo, also. It will help you address this in order to avoid rebellion later.

I would treat it the same way that I treat talking back or verbal disobedience. It's the same thing. 90% of communication is nonverbal, and he is clearly communicating noncompliance with his attitude. I would let him know that self control is for both his words and attitude, and from now on his facial expressions will be dealt with in the same manner as other disobedience. When he does it (and he will) I would have him do a "do over" with his face and redo the conversation that started the expression, and then give him another chore or consequence for his action. The consequence depends on his currency - could be losing 5 minutes of screen time per infraction, after 3 in a day he get a chore per offense or something. You're the mom - you know what will work. BUT - I would make sure he works through the "do over" every time and that he gets HUGE praise for every time he shows self control.

I would treat it the same way that I treat talking back or verbal disobedience. It's the same thing. 90% of communication is nonverbal, and he is clearly communicating noncompliance with his attitude. I would let him know that self control is for both his words and attitude, and from now on his facial expressions will be dealt with in the same manner as other disobedience. When he does it (and he will) I would have him do a "do over" with his face and redo the conversation that started the expression, and then give him another chore or consequence for his action. The consequence depends on his currency - could be losing 5 minutes of screen time per infraction, after 3 in a day he get a chore per offense or something. You're the mom - you know what will work. BUT - I would make sure he works through the "do over" every time and that he gets HUGE praise for every time he shows self control.

:iagree:And make sure an ugly face NEVER gains him anything positive, EVER.

I guess I don't see the big deal, honestly. It sounds like he is frowning, yet still doing what it is you are asking him to do, right? IMHO it's one of those things I would ignore. But we're pretty lax about expressing emotions here, unless those emotions are actually becoming physical or totally out of control. Otherwise I just shrug it off, yk?

Dd started doing that a couple of years ago, & I told her that she had to make her eyes say, "Yes, Ma'am." She was only about 4, & she knew. exactly. what. I. meant.

It still comes up from time to time, & if she's really upset, you can see the struggle on her face. Sometimes it means we need to talk about what she's feeling, but if she weren't struggling to change her "look," we probably wouldn't talk. You know? It's so easy for kids to just stalk off.

Anyway, that gives me an opportunity to affirm her feelings (usually--sometimes she needs more correcting, but either way, the training gets to happen) & redirect/repattern her thoughts. If that kind of makes sense.

I've noticed that for her to really change the look on her face, she *has* to change her heart. It's when she can't that we talk, it seems. But that helps, too, you know.

GL. I think it's really wise to want to address this issue. When I was teaching, I found that attitude was one of my biggest obstacles, & when I let myself believe that that wasn't something I could address (I had highschool kids), I just shot myself in the foot, because the whole class (or family) will follow the loudest (which is generally the worst) attitude in the room.

The character flaw is indeed disobedience, and you should take confidence and address it head on. It will not serve him well in life to scowl at anyone in authority over him.

If what you request of him is not done with a good attitude, count it as not done at all and make him repeat it until he does it with a good attitude. If he refuses, then step up the discipline (this would be a spanking in our home, but whatever it is for you.)

I tend to think that when a child is angry--which it sounds like OP's son may be--it's important to take them out of the situation (if poss), hold them tight for a minute, & listen.

I've found that when I can repeat back to my child what they're feeling and why, they listen better when I redirect their attitudes. Sometimes, though, there's something else going on that I don't know about, & this gives the child an opportunity to tell me.

Sometimes it turns out there's actually been an injustice or something to justify the child's anger. In those cases, when I repeat back to him what he's said, I affirm it. Iow, I say something like wow, that must really be frustrating. I'm so sorry that happened.

There would probably be more hugs first, but I would also encourage the child to use his words next time. And I'd tell him that when he scowls like that, his face is saying, "I will not obey you," or "You can't tell me what to do." And I'd be so sad if he got in trouble for that if he was really having a problem.

Then I remind my kids (like they could forget) that I don't always remember that there might be something else going on. I'm not always patient. They should use their words when there's a problem, because sometimes I'll forget & just jump to punishing them.

Most of all, I hope that this approach will keep the communication open as they get older and withdraw into themselves, kwim?

Jumping straight to punishment--or even just straight to accusing them of disobedience--may get better behavior out of them in the short run, but it can also breed rebellion & harden their hearts.

As a kid, I HATED to get in trouble for anything because I hated to disappoint my mother, but she never recognized this, so from time to time, she'd take a hardline with me on something. I'd obey & stuff my feelings, but I had a really hard couple of years, emotionally speaking, in college, because...I don't know...there was too much stuffed there. If I hadn't been afraid of the consequences of rebelling, I'd have done some awful things.

Anyway, I try to remember that as much as I can & be gentle w/ my kids' feelings. I stink at it, but that's my goal.

Angela, I don't know a way to say this without it coming out sounding judgemental. So please, read on knowing that I am NOT trying ot judge.

I am confused why you would spank a 10-year-old child.

Now, I'm not anti-spanking. I just think, as I've heard Remudamom put it before, that there is a 'very small window' for it. As in, age-wise. And to me, that window does not extend anwhere near 10 years old.

I have a stepson who just turned 12. I cannot, for the life of me, imagine spanking him. Not even just *me* spanking him (as I never did spank my stepchildren, but that is a whole other topic), but I cannot imagine his father or mother spanking him at his age.

I am genuinely curious, and anyone is welcome to answer, how spanking an 10-year-old is thought to help train/develop/correct a child who has a poor attitude in regards to obedience.

Again, I'm not trying to sound judgemental. I just don't understand that line of thinking, and am curious as to how it is explained.

Edited by bethanyniez
got the child's age wrong.

I agree with Aubrey's perspective. It's necessary to address BOTH the behavior (ie., requiring a respectful demeanor no matter what) AND what lies behind it. Obviously, you can't sit down and have a loving heart-to-heart chat about what's going on internally every time he scowls, but it is your duty to understand (as best you can) what the emotional struggle is and help him deal with it constructively.

I hope to communicate to my kids that they are entitled to feel however they are feeling (nothing else would make sense, frankly; emotions don't leave just because they're "bad" ones), but they are required to express them respectfully. I do not tolerate, for example, having a child shout, "You're mean, Mommy!" I do, however, encourage them to confide in me; I do not mind at all when one of my kids says "I feel like you are being mean, Mommy." with a voice and face that tells me they are trying to communicate with me, rather than venting their anger on me. Whatever your son's problem is, he needs you to guide him through it, both by providing adequate incentive to stop being disrespectful AND by shepherding him into understanding and addressing the feelings that prompt the disrespect.

Susan

thanks, everyone

about the looks... it's not just that he doesn't like to comply... it IS the inner anger... and it's not a frown, it's a directly at me in my face glare that says I HATE YOU without words... and I cannot accept that because this boy doesn't really feel that way about me... he can be the best boy you could ever hope for and smile and get all huggy... then if you don't let him have his way, the awful frown followed by the hateful glare... kind of like, "If you are in charge and make me do this, you will pay with the looks I give you" and my gut feeling is that it is his way of rebelling and that does not work well with me!

If I just ignore it... I wonder where the anger goes and if I am helping him in the long run. I understand that we all have feelings and emotions. My children see me fail and I talk to them about it when I get upset. I let them have their feelings, but this is disrespect and rebellion, in my book. If he even just frowned a little when he had to obey, I'd understand...

anyway, thanks for thinking this through with me...

I guess I don't see the big deal, honestly. It sounds like he is frowning, yet still doing what it is you are asking him to do, right? IMHO it's one of those things I would ignore. But we're pretty lax about expressing emotions here, unless those emotions are actually becoming physical or totally out of control. Otherwise I just shrug it off, yk?

I hope this doesn't offend, but I completely disagree.

There is a connection between consistently expressing/airing negative emotions, and disrespect. It may be that when your sons are closer to their teen years you will understand more clearly why it *is* a big deal. Rebellious attitudes in little guys are quite different than facing an angry teenager who feels justified in venting because he's been allowed to do it throughout his life. It also becomes not-so-pleasant to live with for the rest of the family. In the same way that I train my dc to brush their teeth (because having clean, healthy teeth will improve their lives), I think it's useful to train them to have a positive attitude (because it will improve their lives and the lives of those around them).

I am genuinely curious, and anyone is welcome to answer, how spanking an 10-year-old is thought to help train/develop/correct a child who has a poor attitude in regards to obedience.

Again, I'm not trying to sound judgemental. I just don't understand that line of thinking, and am curious as to how it is explained.

*Shrug*. I don't see how how spanking will help a child at any age, but that's just me. :tongue_smilie: I also don't see how hitting a child teaches them that hitting is not okay. Just sayin'...

I hope this doesn't offend, but I completely disagree.

There is a connection between consistently expressing/airing negative emotions, and disrespect. It may be that when your sons are closer to their teen years you will understand more clearly why it *is* a big deal. Rebellious attitudes in little guys are quite different than facing an angry teenager who feels justified in venting because he's been allowed to do it throughout his life. It also becomes not-so-pleasant to live with for the rest of the family. In the same way that I train my dc to brush their teeth (because having clean, healthy teeth will improve their lives), I think it's useful to train them to have a positive attitude (because it will improve their lives and the lives of those around them).

If dirty looks are the worst things I have to deal with when my kids are teens, I can deal with that. ;) Seriously, I really fail to see how letting a glare slide is going to turn this 10 yr old child into a raging teenager. :confused: In fact, I'm pretty sure most teens scowl and glare at their parents on a regular basis. I think it's good to teach our kids to vent. I don't take it personally when my kids tell me they don't like me or scream and cry and run to their rooms. I let them vent. Then we talk about it and move on. I don't see why a kid should be forced to mold their emotional reactions into whatever the parent deems respectable, as long as they are not hurting someone else or themselves. I just have a hard time demanding a child to plaster on a fake submissive smile for my benefit. It's not teaching them anything other than how to please other people. I really don't want to raise followers.

BMW, are you looking for specific suggestions on how to discipline? If you haven't already addressed "what's motivating the angry faces", I'd do that first. Bring to his attention exactly how angry/mean his face looks--there's a chance he doesn't realize all that he's communicating--help him figure out what specific emotions he's feeling when he makes those faces (Anger? Embarrassment? Pride? Sense of injustice?) , brainstorm for how and when he can communicate those feelings appropriately, explain that you cannot and will not stop giving him instructions regardless of how he feels --though perhaps there are ways you can modify how you give instructions--and outline exactly what will happen every time he makes that face at you.

Choose a concrete consequence that occurs every time he makes that face . . . maybe with once chance for a "do-over." Is there a specific privilege to revoke? Ten minutes with his nose against the wall for every infraction (he may think he's "too old" for a time-out, but that may actually enhance the discipline--if he's making faces like a child, he will be treated like a child)? A fine that's large enough to bother him? It has to be something "big enough" to make an impact, but easy enough to implement 15 times a day if that's how often he's doing it. And then keep inviting him (after the consequence is completed) to check in about what's going on inside. He's old enough (probably) to be reasoned with--he ought be able to articulate at some level why he's behaving like this, AND to understand why it's not an acceptable response to instructions from his mom.

Susan

In fact, I'm pretty sure most teens scowl and glare at their parents on a regular basis. I think it's good to teach our kids to vent. I don't take it personally when my kids tell me they don't like me or scream and cry and run to their rooms. I let them vent. Then we talk about it and move on. I don't see why a kid should be forced to mold their emotional reactions into whatever the parent deems respectable, as long as they are not hurting someone else or themselves. I just have a hard time demanding a child to plaster on a fake submissive smile for my benefit. It's not teaching them anything other than how to please other people. I really don't want to raise followers.

I disagree: I believe there's a difference between "venting" and expressing one's self. E.g., if my kids are being noisy to a degree that's driving my mad with irritation, I do NOT think it's OK to scream at them to shut up--which is venting my natural irritation--and I do think it's OK to say, "You guys need to quiet down; I can't handle this noise level"--which is expressing myself in a way that respects my kids. I don't see how disciplining myself to refrain from shrieking at them--which I often FEEL like doing--inhibits my self-expression in the slightest.

And I agree: I don't think it's right to demand fake smiles under any circumstance. Happily, requiring a child to refrain from scowling isn't the same thing as requiring them to smile. Nobody has to pretend they're happy about something that makes them angry--but I don't allow people to vent their aggression at me.

In every situation, there is a way to both show respect to your children and to require respect from them. That is one way to teach them to set limits on how they let others treat them . . . which is the opposite of teaching them to mold themselves to the expectations of others.

Susan

Bee, I hope I didn't miss this post elsewhere...

The Bible makes it clear that we are to not only control our output, but our emotions as well. One way of doing this is for example, is by meditating on pleasant things. RGT has information on controlling emotions and scriptures that apply to this throughout.

It is certainly something that should be addressed and I feel that you should tell him exactly how it makes you feel. If you don't do anything, he may end up glaring at his wife in this same way, making her feel like he hates her or is trying to control her. (I have a little experience with that.)

I have a child who frowns a LOT. He is 10 and frowns when he is told what to do. We have worked on obedience challenges and he has improved a lot. He does not like to be told what to do... by anyone. But, that's not reality in life, kwim? It's not like I follow him around bossing him... we're talking everyday life.

I ask him to put his legs straight on the couch so his brother can sit down and he scowls.

I return him to his room to hang up the jacket that he threw on the floor and he scowls.

I explain that the boys will take turns, 45 min. each on a computer game and he scowls.

We're talking very BIG crossing eyebrow, scrunched up face, frowns and he has recently started glaring at me.

Hm. Well, first, he is obeying or complying with your commands. I think it's important to keep that in mind as you discipline, admonish or punish.

I'm somewhere in between the extremes I see in this thread. On one hand, we have a scowl = raging teenage rebellion. On the other, we have a passive response.

The part *I'd* focus on is the negativity and how it's not ok for any member of the family to project contagious angry, negative moods. Here, you can feel how you feel (I don't expect any human in this family to happily do chores, for example) BUT you can not act in ways with your body or mouth that cause *others* to feel similarly upset, discouraged, angry, etc.

In that regard, it seems that the OP's son may be getting progressively more negative. I personally believe that negative/angry thinking is insidious and grows. This tendency towards negative first thoughts can be very difficult to live with. I think responsible parents need to teach children that their thinking process about events, orders, commands and requests *means something significant* and that appropriate words and facial expressions are part of living in cooperation, respect and kindness with others.

I would do a "do over" as wonderfully described in another post. I would also consider more work if the scowl/anger is part of a request for chores. If, as in the example provided, he scowls over being granted something (computer or screen time), that screen time disappears.

Some coaching, some "walking through" the thinking might be required. "You don't want to empty the dishwasher. That's a common and understandable thought. Nonetheless, dishwashers exist in homes and must be emptied. Making faces over it makes a negative environment that is not acceptable. Let's try that again. I'll tell you again and you say, without a face OK MOM."

While I find "cheerful obedience" to be in most cases icky at best, I *also* find entrenched negativity difficult to live with.

Thanks...

It's not about controlling their feelings or attitude... it's not about control.

It's about respect.

He will not get far as an adult if he glares when he is told what to do...

a high schooler isn't going to get far glaring at a teacher when he doesn't like being told to be quiet or to do an assignment... maybe the teacher will ignore it, but to me, that shows a poor character in the person...

a college student isn't going to go far on the job scowling because he doesn't want to be told what to do...

We are all, everyone of us, told to do things dialy and weekly in life. So, yes, I still believe this has to be addressed.

I had a good talk with him this afternoon and we explored all sorts of things verbally... what kinds of things get him angry in general... and we got down to some other issues. We went to a office supply store and picked up a journal for him. We decided that each day before bed he would take time to write down the date and what his feelings were that day and what things got him angry. We will take time during the week to go into the journal and look up definitions together, talk about things, and he can journal what he is learning. He will know that the journal isn't about privacy, it's about teaching/learning, so he wouldn't write what he wouldn't want me to see...

Today he looked up scowl and glare and reading it outloud to me... I could see him really think about it. This was in private and NOT a "shame on you" time, it was a positive time where he paused and thought through what was going on and owned up to it.

Thanks again, for thinking this through with me.

Bee

If dirty looks are the worst things I have to deal with when my kids are teens, I can deal with that. ;) Seriously, I really fail to see how letting a glare slide is going to turn this 10 yr old child into a raging teenager. :confused: In fact, I'm pretty sure most teens scowl and glare at their parents on a regular basis. I think it's good to teach our kids to vent. I don't take it personally when my kids tell me they don't like me or scream and cry and run to their rooms. I let them vent. Then we talk about it and move on. I don't see why a kid should be forced to mold their emotional reactions into whatever the parent deems respectable, as long as they are not hurting someone else or themselves. I just have a hard time demanding a child to plaster on a fake submissive smile for my benefit. It's not teaching them anything other than how to please other people. I really don't want to raise followers.

I really hate to say this, I know I hated to hear it when I (and my dc) were younger, but...you'll probably only understand later on.

One last comment--teaching your children to respond to people with kindness and appropriate respect doesn't equate with "raising followers". :001_huh:

I feel like it IS about control. It is about HIM controlling HIS facial expression. It is about HIM controlling his emotions, and by controlling I mean changing... so that he is not feeling negative and angry all of the time.

But I also think that it sounds like you are handling it very well.

I feel like it IS about control. It is about HIM controlling HIS facial expression. It is about HIM controlling his emotions, and by controlling I mean changing... so that he is not feeling negative and angry all of the time.

Am I missing something? I thought the OP said he is only showing negativity when he's asked to do something he doesn't want to do. Sounds normal to me. I know when I constantly have to do things I don't feel like doing at the moment I sometimes grumble under my breath or make a face and move on. I really think this is being read into more than it needs to be, but that's just me. ;)

Am I missing something? I thought the OP said he is only showing negativity when he's asked to do something he doesn't want to do. Sounds normal to me. I know when I constantly have to do things I don't feel like doing at the moment I sometimes grumble under my breath or make a face and move on. I really think this is being read into more than it needs to be, but that's just me. ;)
Maybe your family members and employers would prefer to be around someone who does not grumble and scowl.;)

I am confused why you would spank a 10-year-old child.

I've never had to spank a 10 yo. (We discipline them young, and then they are fabulous to be around and very agreeable from then on.)

But I would do it (or whatever other method of discipline they use) in the case of the OP, since it needs to be corrected at this age. My limit would probably be around age 12, and after about age 6 for a boy, it would be dh doing it, not me.

I don't mind being judged for spanking. I know what it has done in our home, and I am happy to trade the joy I have in my darling kiddos for the affirmation of others. :001_smile:

The part *I'd* focus on is the negativity and how it's not ok for any member of the family to project contagious angry, negative moods. Here, you can feel how you feel (I don't expect any human in this family to happily do chores, for example) BUT you can not act in ways with your body or mouth that cause *others* to feel similarly upset, discouraged, angry, etc.

In that regard, it seems that the OP's son may be getting progressively more negative. I personally believe that negative/angry thinking is insidious and grows. This tendency towards negative first thoughts can be very difficult to live with. I think responsible parents need to teach children that their thinking process about events, orders, commands and requests *means something significant* and that appropriate words and facial expressions are part of living in cooperation, respect and kindness with others.

I would do a "do over" as wonderfully described in another post. I would also consider more work if the scowl/anger is part of a request for chores. If, as in the example provided, he scowls over being granted something (computer or screen time), that screen time disappears.

Some coaching, some "walking through" the thinking might be required. "You don't want to empty the dishwasher. That's a common and understandable thought. Nonetheless, dishwashers exist in homes and must be emptied. Making faces over it makes a negative environment that is not acceptable. Let's try that again. I'll tell you again and you say, without a face OK MOM."

While I find "cheerful obedience" to be in most cases icky at best, I *also* find entrenched negativity difficult to live with.

:iagree:

I've never had to spank a 10 yo. (We discipline them young, and then they are fabulous to be around and very agreeable from then on.)

Just a clarification for those of us who have a different approach. I discipline my children frequently - at all ages - but punish rarely.

It's a misnomer/inaacurate to claim that "discipline" when they are young means the need goes away.as they age. Children of all ages continue to need discipline as the challenges associated with each age and developmental stage change.

You can't punish (or even discipline) a child into maturity.