I am looking for recommendations for kindergarten. My son will be 5.5 going into the school year this fall. We are going to do more of a year around school schedule so I plan to start this mid summer.
I want to prepare him for a classical education with a Charlotte Mason twist starting with formal lessons in Grade 1 but don't want to overwhelm him or me either during his kindergarten year. I’m having paralysis by analysis after spending so much time researching.
I’m leaning towards this and any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Biblical Symposium/Morning Time (5x a week)
- Bible story with narration (he tells me one thing about the story and then draws a picture)
- Bible verse memory
- Our 24 Ways or Leading Little Ones to God
- A Child’s Book of Character Building or Simply Charlotte Mason Laying Down the Rails
- Manner Cards by September Co
LA (20 minutes 4x week)
- The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading with IEW phonetic games or Simply Charlotte Mason Delightful Reading
- Hand Writing Without Tears or Simply Charlotte Mason Delightful Handwriting (I don’t want to introduce copy work until he is reading so we’ll focus on building letter shapes)
- Readers from All About Reading, The Good and The Beautiful and Dash Into Learning
Math (15 minutes 4x a week)
- Math with Confidence Kindergarten or The Good and The Beautiful Level K (it depends on what the revised level K looks like when it’s previewed in March)
Literature (30 minutes 4x a week)
A Humble Place’s Kindergarten book list (It covers history in terms of learning about kids around the world.)
I’d rotate through these with two a day:
Art (1-2x a week)
The Artful Year or The Way They See It or Artistic Pursuits
Artist Study (1-2x a week)
Simply Charlotte Mason A Is for Art: A Fine Art Alphabet Book or SCM artist studies
Science (1-2x a week)
Science In Seconds for Kids or Science Play
Composer Study (1x a week)
Memoria Press Music Enrichment or A Child’s Introduction to the Orchestra
Nature Study (2x a week)
I’m torn on if I want to do something formal with this or just do nature walks with some journaling.
Poetry Tea Time (1-2x a week)
- The Blue Fairy Book
- Story Time (My Book House)
- In The Nursery (My Book House)
- Aesop’s Fables
- Poetry Teatime Companion
- A Year Full of Poems
- Sing a Song of Seasons
- Circle of Seasons
- Sing a Song of Popcorn
STEM (1x a month)
We will also have his tagalong 3 year old little brother who will be welcome to join in as he wishes. I’ll have some little Kumon books for him to do as he wishes (tracing, cutting, etc) and he also likes to play with our math and LA manipulatives or color.