Jump to content

What's with the ads?


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by Mom0012

  1. On 6/6/2020 at 8:41 PM, RootAnn said:

    Looks like so far, it is a mixed bag -- some uptick in local enrollments for regional schools, much lower international enrollment, loss in OOS.



    So maybe it won’t have too much of an overall impact on most schools’ enrollment? I’m kind of surprised about that.  My sister told me last night that VA Tech is short housing for 1,900 incoming freshman again this year, which also surprised me.

    • Like 1

  2. My dd’s school announced yesterday that they will have all students back on campus by August 24th. They will have live classes, but practice social distancing, which should be interesting. They will also offer online options for students and faculty with health issues. They are eliminating fall break and moving to online instruction for the final week or two after Thanksgiving break.

    • Like 1

  3. Smart idea to have your ds register for a few extra classes than he needs to give him wiggle room to drop the ones that aren't as good. My dd's school had mentioned potentially starting later in the fall at one point, but everything they have online at the moment indicates they are planning on a normal start date. Everything is subject to change at a moment's notice I imagine.


  4. On 5/29/2020 at 6:27 PM, JadeOrchidSong said:

    He plans to go to the U of MN Twin Cities for computer science. Is that competitive enough? It is for him. He did!'t get in the DE program and is attending another college for DE. He applied to the U of MN again for DE. Unfortunately due to the virus, it is pushed back one more month at the end of June to send out their notice. He will apply this November for early application for 2021.

    Ah, well I really hope he gets in. I really was just trying to ease fears about the impact of students deferring. My ds has some lds and I was very worried about him getting into college a couple of years ago and he got in every place he applied, but none of them were highly competitive schools. (I think the lowest acceptance rate was about 60%.) My dd is a super high achiever and we skipped most of the super competitive schools because they didn't offer what she wanted. She found a lot of less competitive schools that seemed to be a better fit for what she was looking for. I overly stressed throughout the whole process with both of them.

    • Like 2

  5. On 5/19/2020 at 11:03 PM, JadeOrchidSong said:

    I know people learn differently and online classes may be a torture. But then next year with more students applying for college, it will be more competitive. I also wonder what they can do if they take a year off because traveling and looking for jobs both are harder now. 


    Is your son thinking of applying to super selective colleges? If not, the whole process isn't really that competitive. If he is, it's hard to imagine selective college admissions getting much more competitive than they are now anyway. 

  6. Mine will be attending, whether classes are online or not. She greatly prefers to be on campus, but there doesn't seem to be a huge upside to taking a gap year when opportunities will likely be limited for the same reason campuses would be closed. At least online classes give her some structure and opportunity for moving forward with her plans.

  7. Have you checked The Potters School? I know they offer AP Spanish Language and get good results on the AP exam. It is surprisingly difficult to find good AP Spanish classes that are offered online to homeschoolers. I'm not sure why. 

    Matroyshka on this board had offered to teach AP Spanish Lit to a bunch of students on this board, but didn't get enough of a commitment to go through with the class, I believe. She might be someone to check with.

  8. My dd really considered this class because she loved Dr. Fisher when she had her for Latin one year. But, in the end, we ruled it out because of the writing assignments. She had already done so much of that type of writing. I haven't really looked at it, so I don't know how much it's changed since we considered it, but here's the syllabus for the class.

    You can find many of the Lukeion syllabi by googling "Lukeion Quia" and whatever the class name is. I've found that really helpful in determining which classes we really wanted to take.

  9. On 4/29/2020 at 9:39 AM, RootAnn said:

    I think many colleges are trying to protect their enrollments by announcing they plan on being in person in the fall. It is clear to them that graduating high schoolers do not want to start college online, and their current students don't want to continue online. So, it is to the college's advantage to say they plan to be in person.

    I hope they are, of course, but I think it is too early to really hope it will be so.


    I agree. But there does seem to be a momentum toward starting to consider to reopen things and that makes me hopeful.

  10. Both of my kids' schools -- CNU and URichmond, have let us know their first choice is to have students on campus and that if there is any way they can do that, they will. I am hoping and praying this is possible. Richmond says they will be making a decision by the beginning of July, if not sooner. CNU hasn't given us dates, but I have full faith in President Trible and if there is any way he can have the students on campus, I know the man will do it. Richmond held a webinar last night, addressing student and parent concerns and sharing their hopes and contingency plans and my dd and I felt very positive about the administration and their handling of the issue. 

    Richmond spoke about many students having asked about deferring freshman year and said they were considering even allowing a semester deferral, so that students could begin in the spring. This could be especially important for international students. Another thought they had was being open to starting the fall semester a little later than usual. 

    • Like 1

  11. On 4/10/2020 at 5:19 PM, regentrude said:

    Because colleges need to prepare if they want to offer GOOD online instruction that is comparable in quality to in seat. Let's face it, what is happening now is not quality online instruction - just like what parents are doing who suddenly have their kids home and are working form home is crisis schooling, not homeschooling. We do the best we can, and my students are quite happy with my classes, but I would never have structured my courses the way I did, had I designed them for online delivery from the get go.

    For example, right now, we are working on developing a version for physics labs for online instruction  for summer and perhaps fall (the resources we are inundated with by the publishers are sub par and barely high school level,). This takes time

    Frankly, I’m highly doubtful that GOOD online classes will be offered by most schools no matter how much time they have to prepare.  My kids have participated in many and the good ones have been far and few between. So, before tanking kids’ education for another semester, they could at least wait until the end of April or May to make a decision for September.. Shouldn’t 3 or 4 months be enough time to prepare for a semester-long class? Thankfully, most colleges aren’t jumping on this bandwagon yet.

    • Like 1

  12. On 4/13/2020 at 10:05 AM, BookwormTo2 said:

    I thought the wording on Boston University's announcement was confusing. Some students posted comments under the announcement which indicated they were confused about when classes would begin. Does it mean online classes might begin in January but physical classes won't start until Summer 2021? Or does it mean there may not be any classes this fall at BU and fall semester will be pushed off to January? 

    I read it as rather than move to online classes in the fall, they would wait until January to begin in-person classes. But I could be wrong, of course. I often am.🙂

    • Like 1

  13. 18 hours ago, JennyD said:

    Boston University announced, basically, a plan for a plan.  An excerpt:

    "The Recovery Plan recognizes the possibility that the beginning of the fall term may have to be delayed, and that a January reopening may be necessary, in which case summer 2021 academics would replace those now planned for fall 2020. It also accepts the possibility that international  students are likely to face unique burdens, such as travel restrictions and interruptions in the processing of visas, and it suggests that some popular master’s programs may have to be offered remotely."

    This is a far more appealing plan to me.

  14. There are a lot of schools that seem to be putting a very heavy emphasis on admissions from full pay international students. Franklin & Marshall, a school my dd applied to, gets 25% of their freshman class from China and India. The school my dd is supposed to attend also has a very large percentage of students from overseas. These schools are really going to be hurting if travel restrictions are still in effect this fall. I'm also wondering how many international students will not accept offers here because of the unknown situation we will be facing this fall.

    • Like 2

  15. Most of the schools my dd applied to did not seem to differentiate between homeschooled students and public school students except that most wanted an SAT or an ACT score even if they were a test-optional school. Other than that, I felt as though they took my dd's applications at face value and didn't expect anything more or less of her. 

    That being said, the school she will be attending did have a lot of extra hoops for homeschooled students, including SAT subject test scores. I think that is pretty unusual these days, though. 

    • Like 2

  16. Yes. This is what has me anxious and worried, especially now that we are getting more solid numbers in for the virus and it looks like we are getting on top of it. I am worried about the ramifications on the economy and financial aid for college and whether my kids will be able to get decent jobs when they are done. My son is getting a partial refund for his housing and meal plan but the college reduced it to account for their fixed costs. I am actually very happy they did that because I've been concerned about my dd's financial aid if the colleges take too big of a hit this year and there is no way my dd can attend her college without that aid. Plus, we pulled her remaining applications and turned down her acceptances at the schools we could have afforded without the aid.

    The economists are rarely ever right about anything, but it's hard to imagine this isn't going to have a major impact that lasts a number of years. 

    • Like 2

  17. CDC says there is no benefit to closing schools long term without significant cases of COVID.

    Everywhere I go, there are mobs of kids who will now be putting the people who are truly at risk at a higher risk. Our public schools are closed as well.

    My dd’ school was going to let kids stay on campus, but go to online learning, but once the public schools shut down, they can no longer staff the campus.

    There will be similar issues for health care workers who have young children at home. I’m in Virginia.

    • Like 2

  18. 12 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

    FWIW, my ds made an observation that hadn't occurred to me about the U closings--going online.  It isn't just about slowing the spreading, but many of the professors are in the upper 50s/60s category.  His pt was that if they end up with numerous professors out ill that it would also cause serious disruption but without a plan.

    This actually makes the closings make more sense to me. I keep thinking why is it the schools closing when this is the population that isn’t at risk. 

  19. We’ve used the REA books for some CLEPS and SATII subject tests. You can get extra practice tests through REA online and through Peterson’s.  For the college algebra, I’d actually have her start with a practice test once she’s finished whatever program she’s going to use.  She might be ready to just take the test or at least close to it if she did well with the program she used. My ds took the college algebra CLEP and he started with the REA diagnostic exam. He did well enough that he just took a few more practice tests to build his confidence and refresh his skills before taking the actual test. We didn’t approach other CLEP tests that way, but it worked well for him for that test.


  20. 3 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

    When I took only Zyrtec for a long period of time (say six months) a couple of years ago, I definitely had a weird couple of day withdrawal of sorts when I dropped it cold turkey, where I got super itchy for a bit- my skin felt crawly and itchy- in much the same way codeine makes me feel. It was a weird couple of days. I think I even posted about it here. It passed quickly though and I had no issues after getting past that. 

    Since using the Azalastine (Astapro) as my mainline treatment though, I have had zero issue going on and off Zyrtec as needed. I usually drop the Zyrtec first when the pollen count drops, and am more typically on the Azalastine maybe 9 months of the year altogether, where as the Zyrtec I tend to be more sporadic, and it's no where near that amount of the year. Now I do use the Azelastine twice a day when counts are high here, so that is different than how your dh is taking it...... I live in Southern Texas where things are perpetually in some sort of bloom so the pollen counts here come fast and hard. Anyway, I think staying on the Azalastine a few more days when dropping the Zyrtec helps taper down for me, so I've never had the withdrawal issue again. I have yet to have had a problem dropping the Azelastine either as far as withdrawal symptoms. 

    But someone up thread mentioned that when you hit into a full out severe allergic reaction or response, it can take quite some time to tamp the body's response down, so the fact that he is responding so quickly to the Astapro + Zyrtec alone bodes well for him. Especially only taking the Astapro once a day. He has room to up dosages as needed, and has more options available for layering if ever needed, which is what you always want. Margin to increase dosing is nice, rather than needing to max out to get things under control and then you have no where left to go, if that makes sense. 

    I"ll also add in that it's a good time for him to be using those and not a steroid based nasal spray (Nasonex, Nasacort, etc.) if at all possible. I'm sure I will have some argue with me here- but those can definitely affect your immune response, and this isn't a great time of year for that. By design they tamp it down a bit- that's how they work as a steroid based drug to shut down the allergic response. And so right now with flu at such a high rate, Nasacort would not my drug of choice to recommend if these others are working well for him and giving him relief. You want to keep that immune system up while still controlling the allergies. If he needs the extra boost, then that's one thing, but if he's managing fine without a nasal steroid, just let that be for now if possible. But once viral activity rates drop around the US as the weather changes, Nasacort can be a nice addition if his symptoms increase with spring/summer pollen levels. 

    And of course my disclaimer, I am not an MD. I just worked on a lot of infectious disease and other allergies trials in a former life, and there's a lot of overlap with what is an allergic response versus what is a viral response and so on..... But definitely go talk to an allergist at some point again if you can get him.Things change with age, so a new panel could be helpful.  The meds they have available now are absolutely insane with what some can do- miracle level. The research is becoming increasingly complex and specialized to where I don't think most generalizations hold anymore and they definitely have a LOT more options at their disposal to help him Rx wise than the things people have mentioned in this thread - things like interleukins etc- if he finds the right allergist and/or has a more severe outbreak and needs a heavier hitter med.  Allergies are most definitely not straight forward at all- and are quite complex over the old way of looking at things like "oh it's hay fever, here have some Benadryl". 

    Anyway, hopefully he keeps improving! Good luck! 

    Thanks for writing all of that out! I appreciate it. Once he’s had a week or two of relief, maybe we’ll cut back on the Nasonex and see how he does with a lower dose or just the Astepro. I’ll have him experiment over the summer with Nasacort. There’s a new allergist at the practice I’ve been taking my ds to for his food allergies and I’ve been happy with her for him. Maybe I’ll take dh to see her in case there are better suggestions for him than what we’ve gotten from allergist visits in the past.

    • Like 1

  21. 1 minute ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

    Have him try taking the Zyrtec at different times in the day this weekend. Different people will react/metabolize drugs at a somewhat different rate, so he may actually have less of that antihistiamine "hang over" if he takes it at a different point in the day. He just needs to play around with it for a bit. 

    Have you been able to take Zyrtec long term without an issue? I know everyone is different, but I’m wondering if I should try to rotate it with something else?

  • Create New...