Jump to content

Menu

Miguelsmom

Members
  • Posts

    229
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Reputation

155 Excellent

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. He can get an internship, but not until after the vaccine. research is a 0 credits course but I think he'll enjoy that. He's pretty sure he wants to open his own media company. That does all things web.
  2. We're in Florida, I homeschool through the county, I had no problem with financial aid for my son. He even got a scholarship through the school that he went to And the scholarship through this state. At the end of his home schooling we had to sign an Affidavit of completion. I was just really closely check the State requirements. I think that might be old when they didn't completely recognize homeschoolers as private education. Possibly call that school and find out what they talking about. I would consider very carefully whether I would apply to that school or not.
  3. So the schedule came out for next year and he has to take summer. But he'll be short one class that is only open in the spring. So he'll have 9 electives he can take. His end goal is a freelance web developer/programmer. His choices that I see: go back to CC and get another certificate or 2 in a programming specialty for a semester. Get a Digital visualization certificate at University while waiting. (requires on campus classes, currently no car, and 3+ hour bus ride) Take random electives Drop to 12 credits and do research last two semesters Try to get into their masters program with the stipulation he takes that course spring semester Fight for a minor Fight to do independent study to substitute for that one course so he can take it in the Fall. Transient student at his future university Any other Ideas? He's not allowed to take Computer programming classes at his current school.
  4. My son was going to apply ED but did EA instead. I'm so glad because his FA package sucked there. He pays much less where he is now. That school was prefect but not when the other school came out to 20k less a year. Same ranking in school type. His dream school was a public small LAC. He ended up at a large state school.
  5. My son did 6 hrs a day on his open courseware classes and CC was less intense. University has a lot more scheduling different time lines for different classes. One opens Sunday the other class Thursday. To get a feel for it maybe have him sign up for two classes and see how it works out. Or a summer class.
  6. Unfortunately, it’s a degree from another school. His current school has an MA degree and he wants an MS degree. Some of the 3-400 level courses have the same titles as the 500-600 level courses. Some of the classes he’s really interested in he’s buying the 500+ level books to read. He is very concerned about loans and that's one of the main reason why he may not want to go passed a grad certification. He likes "fast" wins and school is not difficult for him. He has his own personal struggles and needs to type faster but major based classes he is good at. I'm not sure socially he could navigate a TA/RA position. Is he ready for the graduate level work load? I'm not sure how different the MS is from the BS workload wise. Right now he front loads his work and is only stressed finals weeks. Grad school is a whole new territory for us. He has some work to do in the area of communication. (softening language, tone, and typing speed). A masters will let him take more jobs in the "masters in related field" area. So he can take the jobs he wants but he's quite comfortable with school so depending he may continue on. He has role models that have masters and are getting their PhDs and he wants to emulate that. I have those fears too. He tends to burn bright then burn out. a consistent level of drive isn't his thing. I'll have him ask about the sequence. I know it's 4 required classes and the rest concentration electives. He has to reach out to his school he wants to pursue and talk to them.
  7. His scholarship pays for half tuition for one semester of grad studies. So I would like that to be a full grad course load vs. 2 classes. So the extra classes would be 400 level courses.
  8. His degree will be in information. They do accept spring semester. I don't feel he's competitive . He may do research last semester if things calm down. Beyond GPA and personal projects he doesn't have a lot. He gets along well with professors and has multiple classes with the same professors. So his LOR should be strong if he does that and research. His major doesn't allow for a double major but may allow for extra class. However his scholarships may not. We need to find out. He wants to have a list of questions before he talks to his advisor again. I have no idea how different the program would be from the fall semester vs. the spring semester. He'd have to find out.
  9. Would you encourage your child to graduate a semester early? He wants to go on to graduate school. It would cost him about $1,000 more to graduate a semester early. Internship isn't happening this summer. After this semester he'll have 18 credit to graduate. 1. If he goes to school this summer he'll only have 12 credits his last semester. What are the pro/con of getting into a graduate program in the spring semester? 2.He can take 2 extra electives and make 18 credits last two semesters. I think he has to still talk to his advisor. He may not be able to take classes that are not for his degree. He would like to graduate early but having a summer vacation sounds nice. My other concern is that he's speed running his education but is emotionally behind. He can handle the workload but doesn't want to do anything extra outside class work. (Ie. No license or desire to get it) So no ability to work. No desire to move out. Things like that.
  10. Thank you everyone it is in a STEM program. He's just unsure he wants to take out loans for the program. He's torn between wanting to stay around this area or get the degree he wants. He wants to work with Databases in AI field but being a phd @22 with debt he's weary of. He's thinking a masters certificate then working part time or on stand by. At this point any education he decides is just icing on the cake.
  11. We choose between Community College and a local University because of scholarships and living at home we didn't have to take out loan. However most students have loans. I'm lucky enough to live in a state that has low tuition. If you are low enough income there are grants and work study as well as loans, and scholarships. You want to apply to schools that he's a top student. Then apply to all scholarships possible. I like the book debt free degree and podcast borrowed future. If he's a junior he may be able to get his associates degree before graduating high school. Hopefully that will save you some money.
  12. I couldn't read the article. My son's University is closing down some full colleges, combining schools, slashing ~37 mil from their budget. My son is 100% online and home for his full degree. I'm worried they'll cut his program so I'm watching this closely. It sucks this took away his chance to have a college experience but I'm hoping they let their juniors finish their degrees. I'm worried about what this means for education in the future. Their plan will be released by the end of the week and I'm concerned both for the students and teachers.
  13. Is there any downside to doing a combined degree besides or should he do graduate certificate to MS degree to a PHD based on what he can fund out of pocket?
  14. Look at interdisciplinary degrees also. They may be able to substitute the class with a different class with approval. He'll have some hoops to jump through. Does he by chance have his work from the D class he may be able to dispute it for a higher grade. Is he taking it with the same teacher?
×
×
  • Create New...