Menu

What's with the ads?

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I do think there is a difference, (at least in the student experience because I can’t speak to admissions or anything past 9th grade) ,between doing DE at your high school or at a community college that has a program for “early college”, and a 4 year uni where you are the only non-college age student in the class. I don’t think it will matter for my DS because all the schools say “SUNY” but his experience, even the negative ones, have been worth it for themselves. You know, for his current, high school education 😉 not for what might happen down the line...
  3. This is what my husband uses when things get bad. He believes in using saline frequently as a preventive and things have improved over many years.
  4. I missed that the "put up" story was from your childhood, that makes more sense. Of course unfamiliar turns of phrase sound unfamiliar, and most stuff outside of their usual community and/or usual media exposure will be unfamiliar to a child.
  5. Amazon streaming. Nothing for me to store.
  6. I feel your pain. Similar story, I'm supporting two college students and myself on a retail job and being a community college adjunct. Thankfully one of them graduates next May and plans to stay in the area. LinkedIn is generating more job leads and interviews than anything else for me. I have worked with several recruiters, and that seems like a good path. I've had several interviews lately, but no job offers.
  7. This would be top priority if she doesn't have it. Birth certificate, social security card, etc. Also be aware that when you do a change of address form quite often the post office will send a letter to the old address asking if this was for real or not. If her parents opened that they might respond that no, they don't want her mail forwarded (pretending to be her). I would have her directly contact as many people as she can about her change of address ...esp doctors, schools, jobs, for any tax papers, etc. Also, on the bank account, if her parents names are on it she might not be able to close it out without them signing too. Instead (if they haven't already taken the money) have her withdrawal as much as she can and start an account at a completely different bank/credit union where he parents don't bank.
  8. thank you My DH built it. He built the whole house 😊
  9. We had one dog who was trained by her previous owners, I think she just have failed the class. She was a mess. She ruined a chair we had just by making it her bed at night for a while, we put up gates when we realized, but the chair was kind of done at that point. And we have a dog, untrained, who is gentle and sweet and doesn't make a mess or much wear and tear on anything but her toys and her own bed.
  10. @Melissa in Australia, that's a beautiful kitchen! We have our table in an open L with windows along one side. The other has the back sliding door and in the corner between them we put a tall skinny bookshelf with cookbooks, baskets to hold napkins, placemats, and dishcloths in one and "doohickies" in the other (corkscrew, coozies, extra trivets). On the bottom is a bluetooth speaker because we like music with dinner. Just to the right, outside of cooking range and above a kitchen cart between the living and dining area, is a painting we brought home from one of our travels. It was our favorite view there, starting with the doorstep and looking out toward the ocean. The other rooms of our house have similar paintings - favorite memories of places recreated by street artists in those cities.
  11. Today
  12. Just to add to what’s here middle school is a great time to really delve into an academic interest through competition. My kids really benefited from participating in Math Counts and Science Olympiad. It really stretched them academically. The are similar events for history etc.
  13. Mash is used as a verb here as well as in mash the buttons. It’s just a colloquium. I live in an area with a lot of transplants and am a transplant myself. When we moved here we decided this was going to be home. Is the education system the best? No I live in the south. But have my children excelled to the best of their abilities yes through a combination of home influences and school. My kids have the opportunity to go to top tier colleges here that are public and affordable. We lived in the northeast previously. There is no way we could pay for 6 kids to go to school and remain debt free. I have met other transplants who are constantly looking at the negative ie everything is better elsewhere. In my opinion you do yourself and your children a disservice with this attitude. Either embrace where you live make friends, get to know parents in your children’s classes, get involved in the community by joining what’s already there or move now. This negative attitude is doing your children a disservice. their childhood is passing by with a mother constantly picking out the negative of their community. That’s a hard position to be in to make friends and fit in at school. My state has a 3rd grade reading pass rate of 60%. My oldest when to private school and public high school, the next 4 homeschooled until public high school, the youngest started public kindergarten this year and will continue in public school until the end. First 2 went to the state flagship school got degrees and are happily employed living on their own. 3rd is in college now.
  14. I usually spend my summer lesson planning, but I'm actually almost done with that this year. 🙂 I ordered The Brave Learner for a beach read, I have Gattegno's Now Johnny Can Do Arithmetic to finish (I like to take each chapter a bite at a time and digest it as I read ahead in the math books), and I thought about doing a class through Classical U while my youngest is at camp and dh is on mid shift.
  15. This has been a game changer for my dd who was prone to awful uti's. She takes it daily. https://www.amazon.com/D-Mannose-1000mg-Organic-Cranberry-Concentrate/dp/B01MR7Y7AS/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia?crid=152PJHYNFX8LU&keywords=d+mannose&pd_rd_i=B01MR7Y7AS&pd_rd_r=02dd8e74-89f7-48f3-bba5-2403da6d3d42&pd_rd_w=IUz5Q&pd_rd_wg=j1lLI&pf_rd_p=f0479f98-a32d-45cd-9c12-7aaced42b1ec&pf_rd_r=H5ZM82DNGH8AY2Q4680B&qid=1558866520&s=gateway&sprefix=d+man%2Caps%2C147 the science is still slim on it, but my dd's gyn approved of it. https://www.healthline.com/health/d-mannose-for-uti#research
  16. I looked into it. I'd love to get a review from someone who has used it and whether they found printing the 500+ and 900+ page instruction guides to be cumbersome. The company doesn't offer the guides printed because of constant updates and I wonder how that affects users who do print them.
  17. Unfortauntely, with a second language, there may be no end to intermediate hell. LOL. I feel like I'm still in it, and I've been fluent in French and living in French speaking Switzerland for... 15 years. I learned this tip from the book Fluent Forever (interesting raed, but I think you're beyond it)- Read books, especially engaging series, as authors tend to have their own limited vocabulary, and by constant exposure, the vocab is acquired easily through context. This has definitely been my case. I love reading in French on my kindle because of the word-touch-dictionary thing. It takes a lot of pain and frustration out of reading in my second language, and so therefore reading volume increases. Can't dig around for a source right now, but bear in mind the following: In your native language, a well-read person will establish a vocabulary of 20-25k words. In a second language, even with LIFELONG study, it is hard to pass 10k words. Luckily, most people only need about 5-8k words for what we call fluency. With good study, you can work your way to technical fluency in about 5 years of study, faster with immersion. But after that, every year of study provides diminishing returns unless you are trying really, really hard. I don't say that to discourage you, but rather to show that getting to that 8-10k words is really great and "enough" in almost all senses of the word. Add in things like kindle dictionary (or a dead tree dictionary) and pretty much all doors are opened to you. A thesaurus in the target language is also a really great tool. Often times we have passive acquisition of many near-synonyms, but struggle to put them into use in our speaking/writing. A thesaurus can help eliminate weak/imprecise language in writing by reminding us of similar words we already know passively. Ex. Moving from choosing "big" to choosing "huge", "gigantic", "enormous", "collosal" is often times not about not knowing those words on sight, but about not having them be the fastest word that pops up in our mental dicitonary. A thesaurus can help build the reflex to keep hunting until we have exactly the right word. I prefer digital thesauruses to eliminate frustration, and we do "paper dicitonary work" as an entirely different skill that they need to have in order to succeed in an artifical testing environment. A fun exercise is "How crazy can you make it?", changing mundane senences into monstrous ones through thesaurus work. i.e. The small rat whispered "Now!" ----> The miniscule rodent breathed, "Forthwith!" It's not about making every single word better- sometimes simpler IS better- but about thinking about nuance in meaning.
  18. I was talking about mash as a verb, though. And none of those things like “line up” seem weird to me since I am used to them. @Pen I really only think of England when I hear “mind the gap.” My sister gave me a shirt with that and the metro logo. Dh thought it sounded dirty and I was embarrassed to wear it.
  19. I love Ivy kids for 4-5 maybe even 6 yer olds. It has been the one kit I’ve felt is worth the money. The books and activities are fun and easy to pull out for a child who wants to do hand son things. The activities can get repetitive though after awhile. We subbed for two years for a few kids and have several painted banks and other items around the house 😂. The games are all pretty much the same just a different theme. Still my 5 yo has enjoyed them a second year. We stopped and just reuse the activities when we want something easy to do.
  20. The first two is quite easy to find on Half Price Bookstores. The 5th edition of the Starnes, Yates and Moore is on internet archive and is a commonly used AP Statistics text. The Triola text is a common community college text. I won’t keep any because I don’t have the space, some books are now on the living room floor and I have no room for more bookshelves. Who are you keeping for? For your kids or for yourself?
  21. Go to bed at some point. Up in time to shower/wash hair. Church. Work. Make the kids do housework and start a journal. Laundry? Whatever else gets done.
  22. wow. I hope things can start to be better for her. has she read up on narcissistic parents? it might help her understand and understand it really isn't her. and how to implement boundaries. lots and lots of boundaries.
  23. Flonase. It will take a few days to start shrinking inflamed tissues. But one it starts working all the gunk will start coming out. I’ve only used it twice but had the same experience both times. Used it for a month each time.
  24. Nothing. The 4 sides around the table are: 1) Window/patio door; 2) open space above counter/cabinets separating the eating area from the cooking/washing area; 3) Open walkway leading to the living room; 4) doors to the garage and laundry room. Before we "remodeled," we had one wall with a painting on it. The painting was a bouquet of yellow flowers.
  25. Yes, landlords should have the right to limit pets. (Service animals are not pets in the typical sense of the word). There are millions of renters who have pets....there are millions of renters that have pet allergies. There needs to be housing for both. Dander is sticky and can't just be cleaned out of a home with a carpet shampooing. It is on walls, window coverings and all surfaces. My son had severe hives over 75% of his body at 1yo due to a cat. He had to be in a completely pet-free home. Subsequent reactions would have likely been worse. If all homes had to allow pets, he would have major problems.
  1. Load more activity