Menu

What's with the ads?

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Scan & Go don’t usually have lines. People scan. And go. I prefer them.
  3. Would she accept this (or any other cultural) behavior from a white guy who was born and raised in the US? She has to deal with the consequences of his choices regarding their relationship at this point, not the causes.
  4. Your second paragraph resonates a lot with me in our present location. It isn't that I am polar opposite--I'm not. But there are oh so many issues on which I have a least a different angle/perspective, and I find myself watching my tongue (not a bad thing in itself), and often thinking, "If they knew what I really think, they might kick me out of the room." It can be rather exhausting at times, because I have to judge whether a comment here or there will help them grow in thinking things through, or will only ostracize me. I am trying to learn to focus on the things that I can learn from them; for example, they (generality, I know) tend to be more generous with their time and efforts on others' behalf than I am. ETA: Just thinking about this--I would be more comfortable, of course, being in a place where political discussions were not even a thing, where the environment was straight along the lines of what I believe. However, that isn't even so among my immediate family, lol. If I lived in an area where the majority viewpoint was the opposite as where I live, I would still be uncomfortable. Perhaps because, as stated several times above, so many people these days assume you believe the same way they do, so they don't enter into thoughtful discussion--just assumptions or battering the other side. I would prefer to be able to reasonably discuss the nuances.
  5. I let three soaking cats in from three different doors. 🙄🐱🌧🌧
  6. I am told they plan to, but I am not holding my breath until they make the offer. Then we will need to figure out how to see some houses this week PRONTO. Now DH and I are fighting over the cheap furniture. I am thrilled to just get RID of it, he is like, "We can't afford to replace it! Do we hate it? I didn't know we hated that!" 🤣 I am assuring him we do hate it. 😂
  7. I go every week. I hate that place. But there aren’t a whole lot of other good options. There are two grocery stores in my town (The Afsa isn’t even in my town, it’s in a neighboring town) and one is too expensive and the other is like stepping in to Mexico. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but there’s just a lot of foods and brands that I am not familiar with and it makes me nervous going in there. I can’t find what I want. Plus, The Afsa is one-stop-shopping and they have a Pharmacy and all kinds of other stuff.
  8. I can see why you're concerned. My question would be, at what point WOULD he think it appropriate to introduce your daughter to his family? Waiting until they're engaged and she's confronted with upset/disapproving in-laws-to-be is extremely unfair. Things can be said that may be hard to get past. (Ask me how I know.) In fairness to everyone, he needs to give his family a heads up. Everyone on his side needs a chance to get used to the idea and work out their personal hang-ups before meeting the poor girl. Is there someone in his family who would support his decision, or who could be counted on to say "I've met her. She's lovely"? ETA: Other posters have made some really wise suggestions about things that need to be discussed between the two of the them up front so there are no unpleasant surprises with regard to expectations or his family's involvement with them. Also, just because things are agreed upon at the outset does not mean someone won't have a change of heart years down the road. That happened with DH and me on a fundamental issue that had been "covered" before marriage, and it caused a lot of friction.
  9. I don't have so many choices here. We DO have 3 grocery stores in our tiny town (lots of tourists), but toiletries and stuff get EXPENSIVE there. And for general "stuff" stuff, we're pretty limited. There's a Fred Meyer, but it's 45 minutes away. In good weather. Without tourist traffic. Which means about two weeks each in summer and fall.
  10. I live in an area where my political views are in the extreme minority, and I don't like it. That said, I'm listed as unaffiliated so nobody knows what my political beliefs are. I don't choose to discuss politics with anybody, not even friends, so in reality, being in the minority doesn't affect me much. But it is extremely disappointing to know that my vote will never count in many elections. Many elections only have one candidate with no opposition. ETA: I do like the area I live in. It is very diverse, and whenever I get upset about national blah, blah, blah, and then I go out into my community, I feel encouraged. People are nice. People are respectful. People are friendly.
  11. You should probably go in. Although they may not be able to tell you anything. My doctors could never figure out our infertility. Of course we never ran any super-invasive tests or anything, but the basic tests and exams showed nothing out of the ordinary, yet in almost 17 years of marriage I have never been pregnant.
  12. I'm glad my boys are planning to get their Associate's degrees at one of our local community colleges and then seamlessly transfer to an in-state 4 year school without being required to take the SAT or the ACT.
  13. yes! The first thing, just discussing things, I'm fine with and often have decent conversations. It's that second thing, people assuming you are "one of them" and can use language that is frankly offensive. It's not that they feel that way that is so upsetting, it's that people assume I feel that way too - thats what really bothers me. A lot of this is actually not about politics at all, but about things like racism, etc that always existed but have become more open in some places in recent years. Not that people are more racist , just more open about it. Other things as well, not just racism. This was a huge issue for me. I'm currently taking refuge for a while in a different denomination, and although that is not primarily for political reasons, it does play a part I think. Where I attend now is kind of a haven for those of my beliefs.
  14. My first instinct would be to run from any guy who was afraid to introduce her to his parents. Man up or beat it.
  15. What are your community colleges like? Do they have articulation agreements with UW? Which classes automatically transfer to UW? What classes are required as core courses for UW undergrads? What basic courses are required for your ds's potential major that would be worth taking in high school? I'm asking these questions to give you an idea of what you want to look for on UW and your local CC's websites to get a feel for what's available to high school students who dual enroll. For example, in Texas, our CCs are geared to providing the courses that will transfer to our state universities and the state universities accept those credits automatically. So it doesn't matter if you take the calculus sequence at your local CC or at UT, they will both count. Of course, some teachers are better than others, some schools are more rigorous than others, but the syllabus and textbook choices are standardized. If your CCs don't offer automatically transferable credits, I'd look at AP classes because those also offer an objective outside standard that leads to college credit (but will likely be more expensive if you have discounted or free CC DE tuition.) The reason my dd is taking CC classes in high school is to finish up the core requirements and basic classes before she starts at a 4 year school (in her case, probably UT Austin or Texas A&M). She is planning to attend university for 4 years but she'd rather be able to double major, take advantage of internship and research opportunities and study abroad instead of just checking the boxes for the extensive required coursework that TX public universities require. For a high school bio class, I did this one with my dd in 6th grade: https://quarksandquirks.wordpress.com/biology-hs-level/
  16. Good morning! DH and I had a lovely day yesterday - went out to a German beer garden, then to a Greek festival, then to a minor league baseball game. I'm sort of looking forward to a quiet day today. DH leaves around noon for a business trip. -coffee -remind DH of the things he has to do before he leaves -vaccuum and mop the downstairs, vaccuum the upstairs -workout (kickboxing once DH leaves) -read and relax -stand over DS18 while he writes a letter to our electrician asking about working for him this summer as an intern -make sure DS18 has clean uniforms for school -make sure DS18 goes to Publix to get things he wants for lunch for the week -dinner (made a roast beef yesterday that people can eat at their leisure today)
  17. I was just trying to be a bit funny was all. I apologize if I came across incorrectly.
  18. I'm somewhere in the middle with my political views. I'm at the point where I'm thoroughly fed up listening to people on both sides, mainly because people don't actually want to discuss so much as expound on their own views and demean the other side. So I pretty much don't participate in conversations of a political nature at all. The exception is when my kids express something that I think needs balance--that can be either to the left or the right.
  19. Good Morning!!!! COFFEE!!!~D Sunday!!!! Rain!!!! We never get rain this late in the year and certainly not this much. Yikes!! It’s really coming down. I spent all day yesterday in the mountains. The Church Youth Group 8th graders always have an end of the year day trip and this year it was to the mountains. I was a driver. It was nice. It was at my cousin’s cabin, so we just hung out all day and yacked while the kids played games, watched movies and drove around on the golf cart. Church this morning and then we have D2’s Grandparents Birthday Party. Of course, it is a month after her birthday, but it’s been a crazy month, what with her friends birthday party, Easter, Mother’s Day and everything else. But we’re having it today.
  20. I'm a moderate who lives in a very red area. I have found many times that people do assume you are one of them and will say things that are inflammatory. Sometimes I bite my tongue, sometimes I dont. Overall, though, most people dont talk about politics too much. I've never lived in a predominantly blue area but I assume it would be the same. I wish people could be more civil. I grew up with such a wide mix of friends and we could talk about things and laugh at the same time. We knew how to respect one another. It's sad those days are gone. ETA: To be honest, the political divide hasn't been as difficult as the religious one, for me. I live in a highly evangelical area and am not evangelical. That's where I find myself nodding my head much more because it is talked about signifigantly more than politics and where I find that more people make assumptions about who you are and what you believe.
  21. What she said... student-s are more than a black and white set of data points at a point in time. They bring with them a whole host of unseen/unknown layers. One "privileged" zip code in my area has a good number of families living in double-wide trailers not far from the million dollar homes. Other families are doubled up, because they can't afford to live in the area other wise. Many of these same families earn just enough more than what would entitle them to health care or food assistance, but they don't qualify. Others are renting from a friend or family member at below market rent, working on the property in addition to a full time job. Some families stuck together through circumstances that often tear others apart. As we search for places to live, the areas in which we are looking (because we can afford them) we are told to avoid. Maybe God is having us move into a struggling area in order that we might bless our neighbors with what we can help them with? I don't know. I just know I'm not paying $1,500 a month to live in a 1,200 square foot house in the nice area because my friends don't like the neighborhood we can afford. We've lived and stayed in worse. I do know as my daughter gets ready to start all of her essays, I'm going to make sure she has all of the documentation she needs to tell her story. It is far from the norm of that of our peers.
  22. Pretty close. Mountain terrain, four seasons, old timers, great govt pensions (LIRR back in the news again and this round they have a commission to investigate), fantastic school tax exemptions for favored groups, no transportation to CC for compelled students. Tammany Hall wasn't far from here, physically or mentally. on the school, the only people in study hall are those from cultures who value achievement and don't go to private school. plenty of remedial, sn, and ESL coursework for the other 60%.. Its been interesting, the slide was documented by Stanford and the state gov as 2.5 grade levels of achievement on the whole since they knocked off IB and most of AP/honors. We're tame though, the militant people are in districts where the people who took over the school board are busy making it so the minority can't have enough req'd coursework to grad in 4. You might consider getting out more and looking under the covers. Politics in action is fascinating. I have learned so much from Pam in CT that applies to local politics in diverse communities.
  23. It’s pretty hard. I don’t feel the need to talk politics very often, although I do a lot of reading about it. But others tend to bring it up. I just sort of ignore them. And heaven forbid I forget and wade into the cesspool of humanity that is the Facebook comments section. What really stinks is I haven’t felt comfortable at church for a while now, and unfortunately, I don’t see that changing anytime soon.
  24. We have an AFSA, a Kroger, and a Ten Box. There's not a whole lot else, but there are some small specialty places. If I want something exotic, like actual Parmesan cheese, I have to drive two hours to get to a store that has it. But most places carry my GF flours so I can make my own blend, so there's that!
  1. Load more activity