Menu

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I have not crafted in I don’t know how long! But our organization is having a craft fair and we’re a little skimpy on vendors. Plus I hurt my back, so gardening and spring cleaning are on hold. SO, I hauled out my supplies (well, the kids lifted) and started churning out mini wax melts. The concept is basic scents in tiny hearts so anyone can create blends at home without becoming their own messy factory. Or just use them straight because they’re cute. I’ll add a picture when I get back to work later. Of course now my house smells like bizarre combinations of things, which is why my motivation to do this fizzled out when I was originally collecting materials!
  3. It’s scary, but there’s always a first time for everything in everyone, and we aren’t always aware a risk is present. In the given context, my grandmother’s first elopement attempt was when she got her hip replacement. That prevented her from any real chance of success, but no one would have thought she’d be at any risk of trying at that early point in her cognitive decline. But so much was going on at once (strange place being a big one) that it caused surprising reactions. The handling is questionable, but it isn’t uncommon to reserve “high alert” status until something happens to warrant it. Not just officially, but as a mental load. Like, I didn’t worry about my toddler taking off out of a rarely used, always locked door until she did. She had never even messed with it before!
  4. Mine as well. I add bagged fresh vegetables in the microwave. The total cost is less than three McDonald’s Mcchicken and fries and I can just stop at the supermarket on the way home. If you let the chicken cool down completely it is safe to shred and freeze.
  5. Today
  6. She was pretty incapable of speech and really couldn't give coherent or helpful answers. My mother made more vocal sounds WHILE having a stroke. I have three kids formally diagnosed with ASD, and I've known more including women. She didn't strike me as being on the spectrum. wandering away because things are new and making her confused would make sense. She does have obvious physical decline. maybe it would be repeated, hopefully not. I have their phone number. We're close to woods, we're close to very steep slopes that a super fit adult would struggle with even if they have rope, we're close to busy roads - if she'd gone the other direction, it wouldn't have taken her more than five minutes at her pace to get to what is generally a pretty busy road. we currently have a resident bobcat. They were driving up and down the street - and onto what a driveways for multiple houses before getting to ours. They got there just after the aid unit. don't remember if they were there before or after the first police car arrived.
  7. Does she live close enough that you could invite her over and say 'we're making such and such' tonight - bring your ingredients to add to ours and I'll show you how easy this can be'.
  8. https://annas-archive.org/md5/e912dea2423647376d23c54653f9586b (digital) https://www.zvab.com/servlet/SearchResults?isbn=9789985037058&cm_sp=mbc-_-9789985037058-_-all https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=31539773289&cm_sp=det-_-bsk-_-bdp None of these are in English
  9. I find my air fryer to be more helpful in making things quickly than my instant pot since my IP seems to take so long to get up to pressure. Having a variety of condiments on hand has helped with switching to less processed foods and still enjoying them. Rotisserie chicken and bagged salads are my go to for busy nights. Or chicken sausage and air fried bagged veggies.
  10. I would think it was weird, and that I'd likely forget to do it or be afraid of doing it wrong.
  11. It wouldn't offend me. I've had stranger experiences, LOL.
  12. I think it's weird the people from the home were driving around looking for her. I would think they'd have a elopement plan that would be more effective than that. But, maybe not. I recommend getting the police involved every single time. Then, find out what type of license the home has and which government agency has oversight. This will depend on the state and how the home is classified from a licensing perspective. Report any incidents to the police, then also report them to the licensing agency and the ombudsman for the home, if there is one (that will depend again on how the home is classified). This way you can get multiple eyes on the problem. Also, don't hesitate to ask the police if they will file a report with the overseeing government agency and clarify which agency that is. They probably already have that information on file, or are able to easily access it. It could be a "one off" for the group home or the particular person, but even a "one off" is a serious problem when safety is concerned. Thank you for looking out for your neighbors like this! And just an FYI for everyone: The correct terminology is eloping, not escaping or running away.
  13. Junie

Wordle

Wordle 1,034 5/6 ⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜ 🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨 ⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜ 🟨🟩⬜🟩⬜ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
  14. I finally have our schedule worked out for fall semester. This will be the beginning of DE at our local CC. DE English 1 DE US History 1 DE Intro to Computers PreCalc or Calc 1- Cool Math Guy, then maybe DE Chemistry- taught by me in fall, planning DE for Spring if they can get in- this class tends to fill quickly I'm also looking for some online CAD type classes, maybe a little basic programming? They will do some electives at co-op, too.
  15. Nandina leaves and fruit are high in cyanide, and can harm birds. I am glad you are looking for alternatives. Dwarf spirea stays in that 2’-3’ size at maturity.
  16. I think something like this is all in the wording. So, "While you're staying in this room, you'll need to rotate the eggs." vs "I'm so sorry, but this is the room with the incubator which can't easily be moved. I hope you don't mind if we come in a couple times/day to rotate the eggs. Or if you'd prefer, you can certainly rotate them yourself and then we won't have to bother you with coming in!"
  17. My thought would be that she got disoriented due to the move. This might be a temporary problem. It might not be senility. It could also be autism or other disorder. My cousin who has severe autism used to "run away" after being moved from one facility to another, because he felt like he was in the wrong place and needed to go back where he belonged.
  18. I wonder if she is possibly there while waiting for space at an appropriate facility.
  19. This is just adorable! You are so talented. I love the fabric!
  20. I know it’s tough (been there done that with my now adult son), but I think you’ve answered your own question. Letting him suffer the consequences of his poor time management (maybe even getting less than an A in a class) will likely do much more to help him later in college (and preserve your relationship) then trying to micromanage him now, especially given that he seems to have the ability to function very well when he wants to. Honestly, getting less than an A in a class might be just the thing for him to be willing to listen to some of your time management suggestions.
  21. I did get the owner's? phone number in case anything like this happens again. though we may all still call 911 more from the standpoint of making sure the family realize there is a serious issue for their loved one.
  22. Here in CA those are called Board and Care homes, and usually they don’t accept serious dementia cases unless they are double staffed. Even then the placement does not last very long.
  23. And the public library!
  24. Cindy Rollins’ Beyond Mere Morherhood.
  25. My local writers' social group friend, Ellen Baker, just published a gripping novel, The Hidden Life of Cecily Larson. Her research on traveling circuses and orphanages of the past makes for fascinating settings in this novel. https://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Life-Cecily-Larson-Novel/dp/0063351196/ref=sr_1_1?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.1fWlRpLwyWhOLHBYU78VkGS16LDg-vZYhcp7R9pwvnbWQwq8BHjSY1WQdmMnCIvXhdk0hvOJQVmRpeNBN3IDIOVSpEaGXcJ_4bCeTb9zz0zUVXhtWAacfeC96XBjTgYBDUSCqtSFGINdl6RxoLWPwf52PdsSjyUGcu8ImeYJjJp1ZXfFdMtvEpp18z25Zez9_OWnWKacVzPH-jLpMzK4P1lmg9wlehPobP08mfY9pmM.BDghEvr2XtGvDGOEICRfUJczGh_Bv3p7kk66_baEPl4&dib_tag=se&keywords=Ellen+Baker&qid=1713405200&sr=8-1 I am also reading The Anxious Generation by Jonathan Haidt. Lots of new research on the smartphone--mental health crisis conection. https://www.amazon.com/Anxious-Generation-Rewiring-Childhood-Epidemic/dp/0593655036/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3I7IBS9YOZRF5&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.pLA6Rb-vSM6-wdPqDulw2FXn6XR5h_eBoNUrWquseb2rSpClSTuBBqTkTIiB6P92IsIMbZvCKeh1EUZMvSyejXoQqUAbA61Lq0ZfHVnRWBOtRycZDevQFswktaiszVJDy98ncRGyPmuZDw_MZx6u02D6yArp-DzciQeAfiHjUs9Ahq9VKcMYgIcLhzbvRtix230kQiBMcKHDxP3u-WkYEv-QlY1FhGcmX0cvVp5P1Ss.qKEhMAPUngwIM4V0i_2yEASZqOz9UNTa_Hv_GhNSUmw&dib_tag=se&keywords=the+anxious+generation+by+jonathan+haidt&qid=1713405374&sprefix=The+anxious%2Caps%2C124&sr=8-1
  1. Load more activity