Menu

What's with the ads?

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Terabith

Blah.

Really hoping this is a couple of days flu, not a week to ten days version. Other than surgery, this is the worst I have felt in a long time. Although the kidney stones thing was super distressing.
  3. Last year's six week trip when he chaperoned: did he get paid for that? A 21 year old working without pay, only food and lodging covered, sounds very generous to me. If his parents aren't thinking of that, he should reasonably feel unappreciated. If they are also deciding to add a child and 2 days on the trip without consulting him (it is unclear in the original post who the "we" mailing decisions included), then they are treating him like a teenager, and poorly even for a teenager, but expecting him to act like an adult.
  4. Lewis & Clark And Me is a good read for the young group. It has chapters, but it's a picture book, and it's told from the point of view of Seaman, the dog.
  5. I have the luxury of being able to just generate ideas when we talk, and the tutor is actually doing the work, so don't feel any guilt! Lol! This discussion is pulling things together for me that I wasn't connecting before, especially about the working memory. Like, I know it, but it just seems like a scapegoat. But yet it's really crucial for pulling things together. Yes, they won't come without language, but once the language is there, the working memory is really important. So, this is helping me a lot to discuss all of these ideas. You will figure out ways to use things or to advocate for him to get these things elsewhere--it probably feels hard because it's hard to translate theory into reality, and no one wants to just dive into that, KWIM? And you want to keep things with him positive, which is your job too!
  6. What light are you using? I think I need one especially as the days are shortening, but the number of choices are overwhelming when I start searching.
  7. I just wonder, since the OP sees her son as opportunistic and selfish and not generous of heart, why she believed he would pay for an expensive trip for his sister (and be willing to have the other sister tag along) when he is not wealthy and she thinks $20 for a night out would be excessive spending for his income level. I mean, if the OP had enough faith in his willingness to spend that much money on someone else that she fronted the money temporarily, why does she think he's super selfish? And if she thinks he's only interested in hoarding his own money while spending someone else's, why trust him to spend lots of his money on the OP's minor child?
  8. It doesn't sound necessarily like he proposed the change either. Sometimes young adult have a hard time with boundaries. I suspect it would have been hard for him to say "I really only wanted 16 yo sister this time around." Especially if the sisters were part of this conversation. There have been many threads on this board where people need help and encouragement to lay down clear boundaries with parental expectations of adult children. My only thought is, if they're old enough to pay for it, they're old enough to book it and let the chips fall where they may. I think it is odd the parents were doing all the planning and booking if this was the young adult's trip. If there is one thing I've learned as the parent of a young adult is don't be more invested in what they're doing than they are.
  9. Thank you so much. This encapsulates what I have been trying to focus on 😊
  10. It’s possible she doesn’t like him and he doesn’t behave in respectable ways. I admit, I tend to not like people who treat me like crap. Most people don’t. Love them anyways but yeah, probably not like them. People are how they behave. We can yap all day, and words do matter, but it doesn’t mean diddly if we act in a way that betrays those words. As for this particular incident, I’m not commenting further on it until the OP answers my questions bc I think until then there’s not a big enough picture.
  11. I finished Origin. I love Dan Brown's books and Origin didn't disappoint. Yes, you definitely have to suspend disbelief to enjoy his stories, but that's to be expected when its fiction. Art and history, mysteries, religion, technology, all my favorite subjects mixed together for an interesting read. Once I started reading, I didn't want to put it down. Every time I read one of Brown's books I learn something new and always find plenty of rabbit trails to follow, places and people to look up.
  12. Stevia seemed to cause or correlate with hot flashes, for me. And I figured out I have some anxiety, which also causes some hot flashes. Yippee.
  13. Jean - I commiserate with your frustration. I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in May. I am trying to exercise more, eat properly, and have dropped 15 pounds, but even with two types of medication I still seem to be seesawing with my blood sugar levels during my daily testing - unlike you, though, mine are on the high side. Although I have dropped from 12.4 AC1 levels to 7.1 with medication (yeah), I don't see an end in sight of ever being off medication or having this under control. And a new symptom has jumped into the mix - constant sweats/hot flashes. As a person who has been relative healthy all my life, I find this so depressing. I started this post to offer my positive support for you, but my own negativity is surfacing! No advice - so Sorry - hang in there! Myra
  14. I would do this but imthe only member of this potential group that is a member here--and frankly, I like having "my" space here. 🙊. That said, it did occur to me to talk to the planner's creator and suggest that a discussion forum might be something he would like to run.
  15. Exercise was really important for me, both in managing mood and in reducing hot flushes. A good 40 minute brisk walk every day plus yoga twice a week and more serious aerobic exercise twice a week.
  16. Yes but I am not reading that he was forced.
  17. The issue with VA loans is really only the appraisals are much stricter. If you have an unusual house it’s rough to find comps they will take. Nothing else should be harder for the seller.
  18. Here’s where it mentions adding the other sister
  19. It’s in the original post. I can’t double quote. I’ll quote it below.
  20. I actually had to look it up because I thought the same
  21. I have type 2 diabetes. It's been well enough controlled that my doc has been making noises about taking me off Metformin. But I have resisted because it is well controlled because of being on Metformin. But for the past two weeks I have felt like crap off and on. When I've tested my bloodsugars they have been fine so I ruled that out as a cause. Until yesterday when my sugar dropped to 66 and I almost passed out from hypoglycemia. So I cut my Metformin in half (as previously discussed with my doc) and am trying that. But what I am realizing today is that I am still having these really quick drops in bloodsugar that still make me feel like crap even though technically I'm not in hypoglycemia territory. Case in point: 20 minutes ago my bloodsugars (2 hours post prandial) were 134 (yes, I know higher than they should be after a breakfast of two eggs and a cup of bone broth). Then in 20 minutes they plummeted to 111 and I feel like passing out. (Actually they could still be plummeting - I am getting food now.)
  22. This, I have some agreement and some disagreement with. I said earlier, I probably would have just taken my kid to the bank after lunch, or stopped by her work while running errands to get the cash out before I threatened to cancel. I suspect that that one small thing would have avoided the son's freak out. But, I don't think it's the parent's "job" to ensure the adult son doesn't go crazy just because he's p!$$@d that mom wants the money he promised her. He didn't follow through on his promise and then didn't think about anyone else but himself when his not following through actually had consequences. That's immature selfish butthole behavior. Even from a 22yr old.
  23. Ran some errands: bank, gas, snacks for team relax a little and then more things
  24. Happy birthday Kernal 16! Happy first day of school! Hugs to everyone that needs them.
  25. Mamashark -- Just if it's helpful, main idea/detail graphic organizers exist, and I think they are a suggestion for working on main idea/detail. Just if it's helpful 😉 https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS817US817&q=main+idea+detail+graphic+organizer&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiH_Lv8wtjkAhWPSxUIHQQtCswQsAR6BAgGEAE&biw=1920&bih=969
  1. Load more activity