Menu

What's with the ads?

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Didn't see this until now. praying.
  3. We noticed only some slight thawing of the veggies on the top most layer after a day. It wasn’t opened though, which makes a huge difference.
  4. Fact integration. Working on all operations to totals 10 and under. Then all operations to totals 20 and under. Then up to 100. Lots of block work. Lots of play. I have 3 kids I'm working with right now. We started with numbers 1-10 two weeks ago, slowly learning colors and sizes of the blocks while consistently pushing a little more each lesson. This is our third week and the kids are easily answering and understanding questions like 4/3x6 and know all their facts to 10. We use the first Gattegno book for blockwork and follow it up with Miquon pages for written. We start work on up to 20 next, and we'll hang out there until at least Christmas. By the time we get to the end of this year we'll add in more multiplication games like war (shouting the product first instead of biggest card) and Prime Climb, along with the Brownie Skip Counters and Thinkin' Logs free paper toys from The Toymaker (scroll down to find them in the math and learning section). My youngest started with MEP which does a lot of fact integration but not to the same degree. It's a lot more in the way of puzzles and practice. Ds did well with it and then okay with Rightstart, but some of their methods were maddening (how do you circle 33 1/3 beads in the abacus picture??). He switched to Gattegno and we're both much happier for it. My oldest did well learning multiplication and division with Math U See. He liked that the chart was shaded so he only had to learn half. It made it seem more bite sized and manageable, especially after he circled the lines he knew: 1x, 2x, 5x, 10x. From there he only had 6 sets of facts to work on one at a time. I've taken the same idea for kids that need that little push, making it gentle and easy for them.
  5. I have asked this before but am still struggling to find something that will work for us. I am hoping there is something new out there or someone has an idea I have not yet explored. DD (11th grade) needs to fulfill a 1/2 credit of US Government this spring that meets the following: 1. Secular (this is non-negotiable). 2. Online or open-and-go curriculum. As in not a collection of resources I need to cobble together to make a complete program. A good text with a study guide would also work. 3. One semester, offered in spring or asynchronous (if online). Thinkwell is off the table because it is a full year course and dd does not have a lot of bandwidth to try to double time it. FundaFunda is out because it is offered in fall only.
  6. Here's my list. I'm currently in a season of both high emotional and logistical stress. Go to bed EARLY. Like 8pm if I can. I'm an angry napper. If I am going to get extra sleep, it will always be on the front end. Get a date night with DH. One of the best things I've found is to stay super connected with dh in times of stress. Dinner out, a glass of wine, dessert...these are all helpful. Meal plan, grocery delivery, boxed meal services....anything to simplify meals. Getting alone time, whether that be at home or by sitting in the car. MUSIC. I have albums that I always return to when I'm stressed. It's my comfort music. Exercise and eating right. Not to say that I don't indulge in a little comfort food, but I'm finding it less effective than I used to. Yoga. I'm not into the woo of yoga, but I do find stress reduction in taking a time just for myself, really focusing on my breathing, and stretching out my tense muscles. Just the act of saying "I am focussing only on myself for the next hour" is helpful. Bullet journal. I make a list of everything. ALL the things. Then I tackle them one by one (or delegate, or decide that they don't really need to be done right now).
  7. Cool, I will check these out! Have you tried them?
  8. Maybe Betabrand has something that will work. Their M.O. is "dress yoga pants."
  9. Most transcripts don't have a percentage. The letter grade is sufficient. I guess the issue is more that no one will push you. If your kids don't have a transcript with grades, they'll just have a number of options closed to them, and for no reason other than the fact that they don't have it.
  10. Afternoon. Revising today. Endoscopy tomorrow. All the cooking and cleaning today to go along with everything else.
  11. If pushed, I'd give them an A if we completed the course because the only way they're going to complete it is if they do A level work. But I'm not going to try to give %.
  12. Sitting here musing about: if you have a pile of adopted kids with FASD, why would you own a liquor store? I don't get people sometimes. Well, a lot of the time!
  13. I look at the activities as a buffet. I choose what works best for my family and move on after that. They learn plenty and it doesn't become a drudgery. I vote for moving on to the Medieval era!
  14. When I was pregnant years ago, my sister lent me a pair of boot cut Express dress pants. They were charcoal grey and stretchy, with no zipper, pockets or belt loops--you could just pull them on and off, like yoga pants. But unlike many yoga pants, the material was thick and had some body to it, so it didn't feel too revealing or show panty lines or bulges. The firmness of the fabric had a smoothing and supportive effect. They were incredibly flattering and worked equally well dressed up or down. I wore those pants through my pregnancy, to the hospital in labor and home postpartum, and they adapted to my changing shape and managed to look nice all the while! I think by 3rd trimester I folded the thick waistband down to accommodate my belly. Do pants like this still exist? Semi-boot or possibly even straight leg could work, since boot cut isn't as popular in the age of skinny jeans. I searched the Express website and the Mid Rise Barely Boot Cut Columnist pants look a little like them, except they have detailing in the front that I don't want, belt loops, zipper, pockets, etc. Looking for something with a plain, flat front, and definitely not low rise due to aforementioned pregnancies 😉 Muchas gracias! Amy
  15. Because of the way college admissions works, they are sorting students based partly on GPA, even for homeschoolers. And it matters a lot for scholarships. If you know your kids are not college bound or bound for community college, then there's no reason to give grades at this level any more than any other. But I don't understand not giving college bound students grades. It will just disadvantage them.
  16. For my boys (all four), using Math Mammoth 1 and 2 solidified their addition and subtraction facts so well that we didn't need to do any extra practice. For multiplication, I used flash cards for all four and that worked well. Sometimes I had to do them more than once, though. They would forget some by the beginning of 4th grade, and sometimes even in 5th, they needed to review a few.
  17. Oh man. I am worried about that sort of thing more now with an upright. With a chest freezer, at least the door will fall the rest of the way if it's only partly closed. It doesn't work that way with an upright. I am very thankful that the freezer meat we are picking on on the 27th will all be probably labeled and portioned when we pick it up.
  18. I'm glad you found out before you bought it. Said a prayer you'll find the perfect place soon.
  19. From what I understand, you determine this as you will. I have seen various syllabi where homework (daily work, in this case) counts up to 80%. I think it is important to give a balance and not just teach to a test yet also not skew our grades so that homeschoolers across the board can not be trusted. If they know the material and are putting forth effort, you'll know that.
  20. I have recent experience with this and can say with confidence that it's fine for two full days, because that's how long the power was out. I took a Tupperware bowl and filled it with ice cubes, covered it, and put it in the freezer close to the top where I thought it would be warmest if the power was out. I looked at the ice after the power came back on, and the cubes were still fully jagged--no thawing even on the edges. So I know that the temp stayed below freezing. If I had it to do over I would leave an oven thermometer in it that I could check when the power came back on to see what the peak temp was. I think that would be particularly helpful if the outage was longer. Of course, I didn't open the freezer during the entire time, and also it was in the basement which is a cool ambient. The freezer on the fridge up in the great room thawed out completely in the same time period--all the ice cube trays were full of slushy water so I figure it got up to around 34-35 degrees. But I had proactively moved all the important stuff into the chest freezer before the outage so I didn't lose anything from that.
  21. Like, RootAnn, we're just holistic about it. You work until you've got it or until I feel the experience of learning about it is quality enough that I happy with the outcome. Thus, it's an A. I give individual feedback and sometimes numerical grades on individual tests and papers. But then it's just to say, look, here, this is what is specifically wrong. Work until it's done and to a higher quality. However, if you feel you need to go through and justify this, nearly every foreign language class I've ever taken has had some level of participation grade, even in college. Participation with foreign language, even more than with any other subject, is how you learn. Yes, your student is there and is the only one so they're participating and it's an automatic A assuming you just do the work. But otherwise you're weighting them unfairly on tests IMHO. So this is the remedy. For history, it can also be an oral discussion grade. Or a project grade. If process - as in, consuming information and discussing it or taking notes on it or whatever - are your primary means of teaching, I think it's beyond reasonable to assign a grade to that process. And if your student is fully participating in it, then that grade would be an A.
  22. So glad you had a rule out of clots. That was my first fear. Find some compression hose and put them in first thing in the am and make sure you are up and walking for 15 minutes every hour (and then get your feet elevated when you can). I have to wear compression gear after any major body trauma like surgery. Keep an eye out on things. You might want to look into lymphedema and lymphatic massage. As to the transient itching, does the rash only happen after you scratch/touch it?
  23. Here's a success story for you (link below). I know there are others, like Evanthe's above, but I usually see them on other forums, not this one. I only use the geometry, so I can't speak to using it all the way through. However, I think it is more important to use a math that works for your student than to worry about rigor or future success. You could change to a harder program, but will that mean your son is more successful? Not if he doesn't understand it. If MUS works for him, I personally would stick with it. https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/594252-did-using-math-u-see-cause-this/?tab=comments#comment-6897138
  24. My kids would be annoyed, but they would be comforted by the fact that I would be even more angry at the injustice. They would bake again if they felt like it, regardless. My kids are generally in it for the bragging rights, LOL. Sounds like fraud to me, and i do hope they make it right.
  1. Load more activity