Menu

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I love ox tail soup. . Served with the meat still on the bone, one piece of bone per serving of soup.
  3. I've had oxtail at a West African restaurant. It's really good. They pulled the meat off the bones and served over rice. (It really doesn't matter though because the meat should easily come off the bones.) I thought the whole point of oxtail was the fat that's melted into the dish making it a super rich roast. My favorite food as a child.
  4. SKL

Man or bear?

Well ... I guess my mistake was trying to make rational sense out of a tiktok ....
  5. My kids loved to watch all things polar and cold in the summer when it’s so hot and humid here. Polar bears, penguins, polar expeditions, the Iditarod… Also cold desserts and treats. Ice cream, popsicles, ice box pies… Ice sculptures, ice skating…
  6. This sounds like my kids and Minecraft. . . they have picked up quite a bit about the properties of different woods and metals from it. . .
  7. That is wonderful news! 👏👏👏👏
  8. Yes, his boss has gone to bat for him. He had to provide proof and documentation as to why dh was worth that much. He'd previously told dh he was aiming to give him about a 35% raise and dh told him he wanted more and he got it him another 12%. Thank you, I agree 🙂 Dh is shouldering so much but it has certainly been a team effort. We're down to the wire. He has 12 days left. He's stressed to the max finishing 2 huge projects in his classes. Unfortunately, he can't do much of this at home so he is halfway living over there. We're almost done! He plans on mo ing over to salary starting May 1st.
  9. I’m actually going to try this! I looked it up and it sounds hilarious. Thanks!
  10. I hear that one that sounds a lot like Matthew Mcconaughey sometimes. Our former landlord had a gorgeous accent like that, only much stronger. He's in his 70's. I could also hear it in George W. Bush sometimes. I guess since I wasn't raised in TX maybe it's more obvious to me? Dd and I used to laugh when we first moved here. We both noticed that we could be talking to someone and thinking they don't have much of an accent until they hit certain words which caused us to do a double take and realize, 'Oh yeah. We ARE in TX.' lol
  11. My dd is in the Navy and it's a weird pick and mix. There are manosphere types who are blatant about it, frankly skirting very close to a sexual harassment complaint. At the same time, the Navy is about 20% women and there are quite a few in leadership roles including the Chief of Naval Operations. There's also a very open attitude toward LGBTQ+ sailors. This is probably influenced by naval tradition (let's just say the Village People didn't record "In the Army"). But, you have to live with these people for months at a time stacked 3 high in coffin racks, so it's best to go along to get along and talk sports or what movies or series people have downloaded on their 4 TB hard drive. The ones that don't (usually the hardcore manosphere types that just can't help ranting) find that no one wants to sit next to them at meals or be their liberty buddy. Almost all enlisted sailors and junior officers are Zoomers or young Millenials so they're the target for these influencers. I think their IRL experiences tend to temper the venom for most of them. I suspect that's true for most young people who have jobs and friends and a rich meatspace life.
  12. Today
  13. Wonderful news, thanks for sharing!
  14. I did about 15 min on the treadmill this morning but also got a lot of steps in at school.
  15. Missed it, but congratulations!
  16. I did a 3.5 mile walk yesterday, a fitbymyk video, and a lot of gardening for my mom today. I also bought some 5 pound weights to leave here since I come so often, and will start with those tonight.
  17. I would just call and talk to a real person. Might have to go up the chain a bit to get someone with experience and authority. Don’t settle for the first person if you don’t get answers.
  18. You have time to wait for your FA packet and still apply to the local CC if it's not enough. The turnaround was less than a week and I think that's pretty typical (obviously, check your local CC just in case). The only consideration that might make you want to apply earlier is if they have scholarships or limited slots in an honors college.
  19. What do they like to do besides hike? What do they think is fun?
  20. Yes! I know they can avoid doing it because I’ve never heard them do it away from home…so why do it at all?!? 🤦‍♀️
  21. Um... exactly what "Texas" accent do you love. I was born and raised in Texas, but most people are truly surprised and say, "but you don't have an accent." I think it is partly because I grew up in Houston, which is VERY VERY international and most of my friends were Northerners who had moved to the South. I think it is also because I sang and did a lot of drama, so it made my speech generic. But anyway, if you listen to someone from Houston, Abilene, Lubbock, and Austin, you might hear four different accents. I am not sure what accent is Texas to be honest.
  22. Maybe I should have trimmed the fat off, a lot did dissolve but even though the meat was super tender, there was big shaggy pieces of fat
  1. Load more activity