Menu

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Good morning! Little Pup threw up his dinner on the front porch last night and some animal cleaned it up for us in the night. I'm guessing opossum. I think our little bunny Hazel is not long for this world. She's quite elderly. Her brother died a year and a half ago. Some People have left for tutorial, others will leave soon for work, and I will be home looking for our eclipse glasses. Coffee!
  3. I’m taking notes and paying attention to how mom’s negativity is affecting me. I find myself thinking …well, mom, you may not be around to see, but I will take care of myself and stay strong. I will get outside even if it’s hard. I will do what I can to stay active for as long as possible as I am able. You will not be able to say I told you so, even if only in my head, as long as I can do things to keep healthy. Yes, I am going out in this rain. In this heat. In this school traffic. And I will most likely be ok. There is no reason to let rain or anything else keep me inside. Mom, you have said many bad things about this person. But I am going to ignore that because you are not a reliable source. I am going to give this person the benefit of the doubt unless or when I see these things for myself.
  4. DS worked scout camp. His most used items that summer were these. I'm not going to link things because his is 15 years old/bought in other countries. A good camp chair. Something with support that doesn't sag. Youngest ds had his eye on one that also came with a matching table (roll up top of hard slats, not fabric) A silk sleeping bag insert. It gets hot in the summer. The silk was breathable enough for him to be comfortable but also retained just enough heat. It was quick wash, quick dry. Microfiber towels - 3 of them. Again, quick wash, quick dry. One for bathing, one for swimming, one to alternate if they were being washed. Mosquito netting. Especially if she has a bunk or wants to create an extension of the tent as an outdoor spot, it's really useful. A thin welcome mat. I think ds got his at one of the dollar places, but we use a berber carpet style one for family camping inside the tent and a more rubbery one outside. There needs to be a place for muddy shoes that's not in the weather and not getting the tent filthy. Organizational containers. I bought ones like this from Ikea a long time ago, except ours are red/blue/green. They're about the size of shoe boxes, zipper bottom to lie flat, and are nylon to help keep from absorbing water. I bought them about 12 years ago, they're still going strong. In fact, they'll be used quite a bit this summer: family vacation and two different summer camps. It's nice to have something to store all the little things and keep the floor neat, and not have to drag out the trunk or bag each time. Lights. ALL THE LIGHTS. Bonus if you can get some solar power in there, too. The garden stakes with solar lights? They're perfect to mark the lines of the tent and keep folks from tripping.
  5. This is so true. I have physical limitations that I am constantly trying to improve, and if I ever get to where I can hike for miles without pain….well, I have told myself many times how I would waste no time on minor discomforts such as rain if I were physically free from my limitations. I would be too happy and joyous to let that stop me. 🙂 My mom does not go out in the rain. If she knows, even now, that I am, she might say, “But it’s raining. Why don’t you go tomorrow?” (This is why I could never leave the house much as a teen. Always some reason….weather, traffic, etc. why I could not go out). Today I still have an appreciation for being able to leave my house in whatever conditions or situations I need to or want to …at my own free will. Sometimes I think….yep, it’s raining! And look! I’m going out to the store and no one is going to stop me!
  6. Yes, they are different. What you’re describing is just part of what we call recovery in the US. Every patient I’m in a hospital gets appropriate nutrition, therapies and general exercise. However, hospitalization here is very short for most illnesses and procedures, so when they go home, patients still spend time recovering at home. Here, rehab is an intensive program undertaken following a hospitalization for a major event, such as a stroke, amputation, joint replacement, extensively long hospitalization or, like the OP, heart surgery. It can be inpatient, with the person staying at the rehab facility or outpatient, with the patient commuting from their own home. Rehab is a formal program with more PT, OT and ST than is an available in the hospital, and a social worker is sometimes involved as well. The purpose of it is to restore strength and function as close to the level that the patient had before their health event as possible. Patients are monitored closely by nurses, therapists and other aids, as well as electronic monitors (like heart monitors) as needed. Rehab programs last anywhere from a week to several months depending on what the patient needs, how well they progress toward their goals and what their insurance will pay for.
  7. Ive read comments on a few blogs that state the child will not have learned the necessary geometry in time. I guess most of geometry isn't learned until the Advanced Mathematics course. I'm. not certain of this, so I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge or experience with this. Also, my daughter really dislikes Saxon so I was considering my options anyway.
  8. I agree. I argued with Dh because I thought it all came down from watching the video.
  9. Well, I am glad to hear that but still looked awfully dramatic.
  10. Yes she has always complained. I don’t know whether she is actually depressed. She is not very receptive to treatment for her anxiety, and, if she were depressed, she would be dismissive of treatment for that, too. I have tried to have a few conversations with her about trying some anxiety meds. She won’t.
  11. I thought it all came down too but this shows that only a section did. https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/28/us/visuals-maps-key-bridge-ship-collapse-dg/index.html
  12. Good morning! Regular day here, mostly. Dd will be home for the weekend today. Wash Dd’s bed linens and remake the bed WITH the dig blanket on it. Prayer group Figure out dinner. Maybe Mexican bc I have avocados that need to be guacamole! Electronic chores - early! One important thing has a deadline this morning. Pick up boy from school. Take him to practice. There’s almost an hour in between, so he has time to change and get a snack. Read
  13. Platform tent or regular tent? Battery powered string lights. Tea or good instant coffee and a nice thermal cup. Family photo in a sturdy plastic frame Mattress topper and fitted sheet, if they have beds. Small, cute indoor/outdoor rug? Garden flag to go by the entrance? Welcome mat.
  14. I think about when my sons will be old. I know I won’t be here. It sounds so weird, I know, unless…maybe others think these things….but it makes me sad to think they will be older and have parents that have passed on. Will they be ok? Will they be in a lot of pain? How I wish I could live forever and make sure they are ok. I’m more sad over their aging than I am my own. I just can’t understand how a mother can say such insensitive things. It comes up somehow at every turn. Then she finds a way to work in, “Just wait until you get to be my age.” I shouldn’t be surprised. There is a whole lifetime of her doing and saying mean things.
  15. Today
  16. I do understand that. I’m sure we all will feel this way to some extent. I guess that’s a normal part of life. My mom just doesn’t make it easy to sit down with and say, “I know your life is changing. You can take comfort in knowing that we are here to help keep you comfortable, busy, and supported in this phase of life.” She simply wants to drag you down into the depths of despair with her. It doesn’t feel loving and kind to say things that could make your own children have such a gloomy outlook on aging.
  17. Yes, if the ratio of milk to cereal is high enough that the pieces move freely. Otherwise it’s salad.
  18. my grandmother complained about everything. One day, talking to dh, she complained about her dr appointment. The follow up with her oncologist who declared her cancer free after five years. (a type that even then had a low mortality/high cure rate). dh; "Oh, that's wonderful, you must be so happy to be cancer free". . . she couldn't get off the phone with him fast enough. She wanted to complain . . . she couldn't complain anymore about cancer . . .
  19. Even more than 2O. I think I may have found out about the board Vegsource . I had already stopped using Sonlight. I think I joined in 1999 but when did the board start? Ì know i was also on AOL board before WTM. That is where I met a group of life long friends too - a small group of military wives ebo homeschooled then. Ws migrate later to Facebook bur I am not sure how that group went from AOL to Facebook since I know I stopped using AOL as my internet provider - ic that was whar jt was by the 1999. I met almost all of that group and one lives in my metro area and her dh worked in the same agency as mine, after he retired from Army.. He is about to retire earlier than the 67 designated age w SS now. Plus I think you still need 20 years for federal civil service retirement too and he hasn't been in that so long.
  20. has she always complained about things? is she depressed? this is one way it can manifest.
  21. Where are you reading this? My children did Saxon and did well on the SAT. Of course, none of them did the new digital SAT, but two of mine had almost perfect math scores. I do recommend doing a SAT practice book -- not so much for learning the math, but for learning how the questions are stated.
  22. Good morning! It's a lot of rain going on today, but I'm hoping that won't affect things too much. coffee violin take recycling/trash to the dump tidy up the house laundry bake cookies tutor dinner: pecan crusted chicken, wedge potatoes (or mashed), green salad with apples take ds to practice
  23. I don't even like Saxon, but I'd be hard pressed to find anything wrong with it for high school. One of the things I have noticed more with my own son's tests is the heavier reliance on reading comprehension: careful attention to details like consistent measurements and being able to sketch out what you think the question is asking. Any student who is competent with the material can add in more of this part to their lessons through something like AoPS' Alcumus (free online supplement) or a practice ACT/SAT book. I would not worry about having to ditch Saxon if it works for you and your kids.
  24. My personal experience has been that AAR is good for a child who is struggling, but massive overkill for the NT. I think it's better to start out with something inexpensive like OPGTR or Phonics Pathways and then only escalate to the expense of AAR if you actually need it. Not sure how close to 6 the 5 year old in question is, but I have had kids "click" with blending around 5.5 years old.
  1. Load more activity