Menu

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. We used Phonics Pathways. One thing I loved about it was that they taught beginning reading left to right, not using "word families" and changing the beginning letter.
  3. Wordle 1,013 3/6 ⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨 🟩🟨🟨⬜🟨 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
  4. In my head, I mostly just resolve that this person is this way and, at 81, (or whatever age), they are not going to have an epiphany of gratitude and stop complaining. I am not opposed to countering gently on a couple of things (similar to how you did) but, on the whole, I just say to myself, “Well, that’s just Joan.” Also, I mightily resolve that I will not become like that so long as I have all my mental faculties. Several years ago, I adopted the little mantra about, “There is no bad weather, only inappropriate clothing,” and so I will do many activities in many kinds of weather (nothing that would be dangerous, of course). I have a good rain jacket and waterproof hiking shoes and/or a good base layer, so I will still go out in weather many people would say is not hike-able. Besides, it makes a good story later!
  5. Just want to say what a lovely and caring community has been built here, that (for some,nearly 20!) years later, people still remember each other with fondness.
  6. There's a famous Hollywood producer here, but IDK if he is still on. We messaged back and forth a couple times and he was great fun on the boards--bit of a pot-stirrer, which I mean in a complimentary way!😆
  7. I'm sorry you are going thru such a difficult part of life. Hang on! Don't trade what you know for what you don't know--iow remember what you know is true and positive. And, feel it deep and all the way down. Take time and space to mourn the old. I think it is so important to not skip over the grief that can come with change. So often people want to jolly us out of difficult feelings, but it is important to let those feelings breathe. (And you should be able to do this with and in front of boyfriend, so maybe consider why it feels uncomfortable for you--at least I think you said so?) My unsolicited opinions and advice--take or leave, but know I care. I may not be here on the boards really anymore, but there are certain people I remember, and you are one of them.
  8. As an alternative to EMDR trauma counseling, you could look into TIR--Traumatic Incident Reduction. Fast, specific, and effective for processing difficult situations. Also great for more complex traumas and PTSD. And, having a very specific plan for "next time" could be empowering. Sorry things have been difficult.
  9. I loved his book about Sabbath being for everyone. The tone was so kind and gentle. Never knew much about him except for that.
  10. Today
  11. It's happening! Amphibians here are thawed out (yes, the wood frogs freeze to overwinter, their blood contains an anti-freeze-like substance) and are making their move to vernal pools and ponds. It's a bit of a party here, with folks out monitoring, watching, and waving to cars to slow down. Tell me about your vernal pools! https://mainebignight.org/
  12. Smart. I'm having a moment. I did two little workouts yesterday but have been feeling very blah since getting home. My bp is even higher than it was last week, ugh. I am someone who makes big changes to coincide with things like holidays, new season, the moon phases, etc. and since Easter is a salt-and-candy holiday for me, I'm going to link this change to Big Night, which is happening right now. Today. I will make fresh beet and carrot spring rolls for Easter along with my usual ham and yams. I'm so frustrated, but I can see my way out of this.
  13. Nope, it's not soup, it's golden milk, see that little white arrow? This is the only cereal I like because I hate milk and love golden milk. https://naturespath.com/products/golden-turmeric-cold-cereal-np-us?
  14. Maybe - if she doesn't ask him to take out the garbage, maybe she doesn't do this to him. Indigo, I'm sorry. My blood pressure rises when my 95 year old mom complains, and it isn't nearly as bad as your mom. I would be finding ways to check out which wouldn't be good for me. Glad you're venting here, much healthier.
  15. She is working 8 wks in mts of VA living in a tent. What are some things you as a camper would recommend to make her tent comfortable? And pretty😄 No, really--what can I send her that might be a bit beyond the basics? Brands appreciated. Has to be available on internet.
  16. https://gcaptain.com/london-insurers-face-billions-in-baltimore-bridge-claims/ Looks like there’s some answers to my questions about liability insurance etc here. Not that money is the thing, while they are still searching for people but I really hope as a minimum it helps the families of the construction workers.
  17. I'm curious what the definition of rehab is in the USA? My husband had major surgery and was in hospital for 10 weeks, 4 of which were in 'high-dependency care'. A step down from ICU, where people here are mostly on ventilators or are having continuous dialysis, but which still means that you need 24/7 surveillance, are attached to IV's, oxygen lines and monitors. It sounds like this is the case with the OP's father. That he is not on artificial ventilation? Anyway, what we called rehab started almost immediately with mobilization that required him to swing his legs off the bed on day two, progressing in tiny increments to walking down the corridor with the PT and IV's and Oxygen cylinder in tow and then to very light arm exercises in bed. His diet also went through a rehab process from intravenous feed to fluids to soft food, etc.
  18. So, I'm a fixer type person so I tend to look at everything and find all the issues. Sometimes I get hyper-focused on the issues, especially ones I have not found a solution for. This part of my personality usually makes me a person who takes on a lot and gets things done, but sometimes it reeks havoc on my moral. I've found a useful practice I do in my homeschool to keep me from spiraling into "education is awful in my home" thinking. I just observe what happens during our homeschool time. I pick a day and I just write down what happens (without judging good or bad). DS did 5 math problems today. DD wrote a 10 sentence story. (Sorry my kids are little.) etc. Then I go back and make my judgements and how I feel about each thing. Lastly I go back and decide if any of them require action. It sounds like it doesn't help fix anything, but it clears my head a bit and helps me see the good parts of the school day. Then the bad stuff it has helped me get a clearer picture of what I need to do to make things run more smoothly. Like your son may always have a bad attitude toward math and that may never be a subject that he does independently, but on the other hand maybe his reading is fantastic. Or that yes everyday you all get to math and it's a total drag but in reality you all have great time doing read-alouds. Or your children never provide good narration during your read aloud time but later in the day you find them incorporating parts of your history read aloud in their pretend play or conversation. I can't tell you how but seeing these tells me how to teach the children I have and less on the children I wish I had.
  19. A girl I grew up with did that. She became a vet, but then decided to change direction. Last I heard she was developing foods for Purina.
  20. Anyone know which text Classes for Teens has used in the past for Geometry?
  21. Okay, back to the ear cleaner. The company sells two different products, both with gentian violet. The witch hazel stuff I use for my dog is in the 4oz. yellow bottle. The seller says that one seems to work better for dogs with allergies. (I never tried the other product, as it has alcohol, which inflames my dog's ears.) If you try either of these products, read and follow the directions - no more than 5 days in a row to treat infections and once a month for maintenance. Also, the gentian violet stains, so you'll probably want to use it outside and in the grass rather than inside or on your patio/deck. Don't wear light colored shoes or pants while treating your pet with this!!!!!! https://bestearcleaners.com/ FWIW, I have friends who swear by Zymox for their labradoodle's ears. I don't know if he's ever had chronic infections, though. I haven't tried it for my dog because of the alcohol.
  22. Yeah, I still dream about the clinic i worked in 15 years ago! I worked in another bigger clinic after that one but my brain still only dreams of the one from back in south florida. But it's not about animal emergencies, ever. It's about me not remembering to clock in/out (um...yeah, cause that WAS a huge issue, thank you unmedicated ADHD) or I can't figure out the computer system, or it's closing time but people keep coming in to buy stuff and I can't get away from the desk long enough to lock the door to keep more people from coming in. I HATE that dream. Pretty sure they are all versions of me feeling inadequate and have nothing to do with veterinary medicine though...more the adult version of showing up at school and having a test in a class you never went to kind of thing.
  23. Milk tastes disgusting to me. It doesn't matter what kind of cereal you pour it over it still tastes like milk. Yuck. I don't even like the smell of milk. I have to ask dh or ds to check it and see if it's good because all milk smells like it's gone bad. Once you heat it in a cooked dish the nasty taste goes away.
  24. iTired. I took the girls shopping today. Got some good bargains, including a $54 pair of jeans at JC Penny’s marked down to $7-something. The total with tax was $8.77. Very happy about that. Made dinner for my hairstylist. It turned out good, I was very glad. I’m always afraid I’m going to bring a meal to someone and they will think it’s gross.
  1. Load more activity