Menu

What's with the ads?

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. not meeting his family is not the same thing as his family (according to him) not knowing she even exists.
  3. John's reading about Leonidas, Mary's reading about pink unicorns and Alex is looking at Pooh. So much accuracy.
  4. I received an email from Currclick about mid-April that they would be closing at the end of the month and downloads would no longer be available a couple of weeks after that. So about a month's notice before I couldn't get my items from my Currclick library anymore. I also received an email from Math Mammoth in late April reminding me that if I purchased Math Mammoth downloads from Currclick that I needed to get them downloaded ASAP before they were gone. I had some purchases on there dating back over ten years ago. It's amazing that for the most part, they let you keep your items stored on their servers indefinitely. I had one publisher that had updated their product and wouldn't let me access my outdated copy any longer. They wanted me to buy the updated version without even a discount for having previously purchased the outdated version. I decided to pass and find a different resource. That was the only problem I ever had on Currclick's website and it wasn't even really their fault, it was the publishers.
  5. I'm in an area where I'm in a strong opposite political, social, and religious, views. some people know, other's don't. some people are decent and are fine with a "we can agree to disagree" - and just don't go there. some - go out of their way to tell you why you're wrong. if you don't want to have a political discussion after someone has started one - say so. I've had to tell that to people on the same side of the aisle as myself. most people can have civil discourse about other subjects. some neighborhoods are going to be stronger in their political leanings/outspokeness than others. (I try to stay out of those neighborhoods). knowing how to change the subject is a good skill. I got practice yesterday buying some items from a small merchant who started pontificating ( about history in this area - where she's a transplant, and I grew up). I corrected her on somethings (I grew up here, my experience goes back much farther) just change the subject... I think the problems are most likely to engage when people try to force their opinions on others. keep in mind, if you're in an area that is very strong one way or the other, people will be likely to think you agree with them. whichever side they're on, because they think "everyone here thinks____".
  6. It varies by location but shows you are serious in your intent to purchase, not just making a frivolous offer.
  7. I don't understand how lying in bed for a year after being sick, followed by antisocial and self-destructive behavior, can possibly sound very simple to you. "Evil companions corrupt good morals," but I'd like to meet the neighborhood thug who can make a previously healthy boy lie abed and soak up god-knows-what on the internet for a year before acting out in a fairly terrifying way. This history makes me and almost* all the other people think, "This is obviously complex, and the family really needs some local, professional help, as they treat their situation as an absolute emergency. Maybe reconsider a traveling dad and holy days off and how to just keep going to the high school where he threatened people, at least through the acute part of this crisis." *The rest think that if he's given a GED and his story is whitewashed enough to fool a recruiter, the military could discipline this all right out of him.
  8. For a high school student, commuting by public transportation in NYC is very different than a new driver having access to a car and gas money to drive in all conditions to CC classes in rural areas.
  9. If sin and pot turned teenagers into violent sociopaths, we never would have survived the nineties. Tough love is going to do exactly jack shit if this boy has a mental illness or personality disorder. In all probably he needs inpatient treatment, meds, and specialized therapy.
  10. The story was just 'eh' for me as well. But my young adult daughters loved it. I am not sure why, but I was guessing it could be their take on 'you can be what you want'. I was also wondering if this was from their exposure to classmates in high school coming out and being who 'they really are'. I could be totally wrong, but it hit me that at the time the movie was a hit, all of that was more in the forefront than in the past. I was just bewildered that I was not feeling the same excitement about the movie, like I was missing something. Maybe I still am! 😉
  11. I received a few emails from them about them closing. Out of all the companies that have shut down recently, I thought they did very well with the communication about closing and getting your stuff. Sorry about your stuff.
  12. The Hundred-year-Old Man Who Climbed Out His Window and Disappeared The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen age 83 1/4. The audiobook of this is great! Old Lady on the Trail: Triple Crown at 76 by Mary E Davison.
  13. work on 8 doll bonnets sweep laundry write graduation cards and checks--2 more to go! graduation party at 3--skipping graduation sew on new patches on one khaki and 2 Venturing uniforms for dd. We lost our Council and have changed numbers walk read
  14. Finishing my marathon reread of Nalini Singh's psychangling/trinity series with Ocean Light. The third book - Wolf Rain - will be released in June. Added The Candle and the Flame and Black God's Drums to my virtual stacks. Since I'm in the mood from something steampunk, will probably read Black God's Drums next. "In an alternate New Orleans caught in the tangle of the American Civil War, the wall-scaling girl named Creeper yearns to escape the streets for the air--in particular, by earning a spot on-board the airship Midnight Robber. Creeper plans to earn Captain Ann-Marie’s trust with information she discovers about a Haitian scientist and a mysterious weapon he calls The Black God’s Drums. But Creeper also has a secret herself: Oya, the African orisha of the wind and storms, speaks inside her head, and may have her own ulterior motivations. Soon, Creeper, Oya, and the crew of the Midnight Robber are pulled into a perilous mission aimed to stop the Black God’s Drums from being unleashed and wiping out the entirety of New Orleans."
  15. All feedback I have received on this topic has been worth considering, I appreciate your advice! Yes, we did have the tree checked a few years ago, and it was determined to be sound... At the same time, we had lower branches trimmed, so nothing is touching their house... So, yes, I see what you mean about removing a perfectly good tree, no one likes to have to do that. This helped to clarify for me, thanks, Hive!
  16. Yay! So I’m stupid, and even though I’m looking at the website, I have no idea what this is. It’s a club? With amateur music? There’s no food? Why is it so popular? Just because Nashville is a country music magnet?
  17. Our AFSAs (yes, very plural) always have longer lines for self checkout.
  18. Overheard from inside of a truck driving by when I was walking into HEB today:. "They don't have Publix. They don't have..."
  19. Week 21 is live - please continue conversation in new thread
  20. We have lived in a variety of states as homeschoolers. It depends on a variety of factors, but one of the most important seems to be the cost of private schools. For example, Illinois had more homeschoolers than I would have expected, but private schools were very expensive compared to cost of living. In Arkansas, there were a lot of homeschoolers but some military families that homeschooled in other states put their kids in private schools there because private schools are cheap there, especially for Christian schools if you are a member of the denomination associated with the school. I also know many people in the military who either started homeschooling in Hawaii or homeschooled just while they were there, private schools are very expensive in Hawaii.
  21. Happy Sunday and welcome to week twenty-one in our 52 Books rambling roads reading adventure. Greetings to all our readers, welcome to all who are joining in for the first time and everyone following our progress. Visit 52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as the central spot to share links to your book reviews. It's time for a round of bookish birthdays and news. Herman Wouk, author of the Caine Mutiny passed away at the age of 103 last Friday. Herman Wouk Bucks Literary Trends to Produce Best Selling Novels. Herman Wouk, 'The Jackie Robinson Of Jewish-American Fiction I've already added the next two books to my virtual stacks: First Flames: An Interview Between Debut Authors Hafsah Faizal and Nafiza Azad, Language Has Magic In 'The Candle And The Flame' Read an Excerpt from P. Djèlí Clark’s The Black God’s Drums, Award finalist for Hugo, Nebula, and Sturgeon. The Real Sherlock Holmes: The Story Behind Arthur Conan Doyle's Creation Michael Chabon’s Advice to Young Writers: Put Away Your Phone Author Birthdays May 19 Lorraine Vivian Hansberry Jodi Picoult Nora Ephron May 20 Honore de Balzac Sigrid Undset May 21 Dante Alighiere Alexander Pope May 22 Arthur Conan Doyle Peter Matthiessen Herge May 23 James Blish Scott O'Dell Margaret Wise Brown May 24 William Trevor Michael Chabon Joseph Brodsky May 25 Robert Ludlum John Gregory Dunne Ralph Waldo Emerson Have fun exploring and following rabbit trails What are you reading? Link to week twenty
  22. Have fun! Dh and I lived in Nashville when we were young pups, about 30 years ago. I remember Green Hills as being one of the high end areas with beautiful homes - very nice! I worked for an accounting firm and many famous country stars were clients of ours. That was a fun time. Hope your dd has a wonderful birthday!
  23. Today
  24. Helping dd1 pack up and load the car. I am driving with her halfway to her friend’s house in MI. She is going to stay there for a couple of days and then head home. I will be home late tomorrow.
  25. I know perfectly zilch about the Jewish religion (?). But I do remember Esther Maria's posts on these boards years ago about the topic. I seem to remember that some Jewish people will consider a person 'dead' to them if they abandon their faith. (I'm sure I messed up all the terms, but I hope I got the concept right.) Anyway, I remember she said something about actually putting them out without any resources or anything (ie. money, etc.). Not sure if she meant adults or minors or what though. But it is definitely done in some religions.
  26. Unless the tuition assistance for DE is crucial, or she hates/resists school strongly, I would continue on the most solid path possible - meaning I would not trade high school academics for vo-tech, because they can still decide to do that after graduation. I wanted my kids to have a strong base in what we commonly call the liberal arts before they moved on to . . . anything. Many students actually don't get a super strong grounding in liberal arts in higher education unless they are actually at a liberal arts college. Every person, no matter what job they end up in, can benefit from reading great literature, studying lots of history, and so on. All the more so if she thinks that homeschooling might be one of her potential jobs 😃 I also don't think it's an either/or situation. She can be deeply involved in dance, music, and martial arts while getting a college prep education. And not all college prep educations follow the exact same path - a history class could certainly put some emphasis on the meaning and context of martial arts at different times and in different places. You can nicely correlate some history and literature by reading biographies of important people in music and dance, and then placing them/their movement into a broader context. There's a reason certain art styles become popular at certain times, what broader events, issues, concerns, were driving that?
  1. Load more activity